Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 26 Jan 2013 (Saturday) 10:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

A New Bare Bulb Flash Arrives

Whortleberry
Goldmember
1,718 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Mar 25, 2017 07:23 |  #6676

mmmfotografie wrote in post #18310334 (external link)
They have the same price as Lencarta for the AD200. Will have a look at Photomart.

Don't forget that Lencarta offer a THREE year warranty, with repairs in UK not all the way back to Shenzhen. Never needed repairs (yet ;-)a ) but it's reassuring to know that it's there if needed.

Phil ǁ Kershaw Soho Reflex: 4¼" Ross Xpres, 6½" Aldis, Super XX/ABC Pyro in 24 DDS, HP3/Meritol Metol in RFH, Johnson 'Scales' brand flash powder. Kodak Duo Six-20/Verichrome Pan. Other odd bits over the decades, simply to get the job done - not merely to polish and brag about cos I'm too mean to buy the polish!
FlickR (external link) ◄► "The Other Yongnuo User Guide v4.12" by Clive Bolton (external link) ◄► UK Railway Photographs 1906-79 (external link)

sponsored links
Flash50
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined May 2017

May 26, 2017 03:46 as a reply to  @ post 16969412 |  #6677

Wow, I like the look of this flash extension cable. I came across this thread while searching for a Quantum QF36T Remote Flash Head cable. Do you have any details on how you made this unit? If, so are they available? Thanks. I love the idea. David

mmmfotografie
hanging up-side-down in a cave
2,114 posts
Joined Jul 2013
Post edited over 1 year ago by mmmfotografie.

May 26, 2017 04:34 |  #6678

Flash50 wrote in post #18363288 (external link)
Wow, I like the look of this flash extension cable. I came across this thread while searching for a Quantum QF36T Remote Flash Head cable. Do you have any details on how you made this unit? If, so are they available? Thanks. I love the idea. David

Abbadon31 had made a limited number of connectors in 2014. This is upscaled in the AD600 to which you can get a separate head of 600 or 1200 Watt/s

Flash50
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined May 2017
Post edited over 1 year ago by Flash50.

May 26, 2017 04:43 as a reply to  @ mmmfotografie's post |  #6679

Thank you for your reply. I currently have Quantum QFlash T2s and a Godox AD360. I am looking at using the extensions to place the tube in Softbox / Large Soft umbrellas and having the main unit in easy reach to adjust.

I would like to know if there is any circuits in the flash tube end of the cable or is there just the plug. I would like to make my own if possible.

Drk ­ Orange
610 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Apr 2004

Jan 26, 2018 17:19 |  #6680

Some info/musings/experimen​ts on the AD360 batteries:

My two original AD360 batteries are now stuffed - ballooning out and distorting the case. With the knowledge that you can run them with the 12v recharge cable plugged in, I made the decision to rip the 11.1v battery out and graft in an ebay 12v LiPo unit of a size that should fit but with lower mAh rating. I could live with that.

The battery was cheap enough, and it almost but not quite fit into the enclosure. The issue was an inbuilt on/off switch on the new battery which I decided was redundant and would allow the battery to fit perfectly. So, I had a glass of stout to steady my hand and set about poking about the insides of a fully charged cheap chinese LiPo battery with a soldering iron. (Not my smartest decision)

The good news was that I managed to successfully graft the new battery into the Godox pack without burning a hole in my dining table.

The bad news was that after all that, it didn't work.

The AD360 now flashes the leds briefly before shutting down. My assumption was that 12v is just too high a voltage for the AD360, which I confirmed by removing the LiPo pack from my second dead battery and trying to power the AD360 from just the 12v charging cable - same result. (which in hindsight, was a test I should have performed first) I read somewhere once of claims that Godox do not recommend you power your strobes with the charge cable attached - this would be why, but would only be an issue if the battery were fully charged.

Plan B has me installing a DC/DC converter and a capacitor in the battery shell and powering the unit from a remote battery pack. (Looking into a way to easily connect my 18v Makita batteries)

TL;DNR

Godox 360 strobes will run on 11.1v, but not 12v.

jlafferty
215 posts
Joined Feb 2017

Jan 26, 2018 17:55 |  #6681

Drk Orange wrote in post #18549723 (external link)
With the knowledge that you can run them with the 12v recharge cable plugged in...

This is not true and a really bad idea in practice.

How old were your batteries and were they Godox branded? (i.e. not Flashpoint)

Current Portfolio (external link)

Drk ­ Orange
610 posts
Joined Apr 2004
Post edited 7 months ago by Drk Orange.

Jan 26, 2018 23:45 |  #6682

Bad practice or not, the flash unit works with the 12v charger plugged in*. (I have done so in the past when the batteries were losing capacity)

The batteries were the original batteries that had issues - one was replaced under warranty while the other lasted a little bit longer.

*(edit) ...and the battery connected.

mmmfotografie
hanging up-side-down in a cave
2,114 posts
Joined Jul 2013

Jan 27, 2018 05:51 |  #6683

The AD360 should easily handle up to 14 Volts so I don't think that is the problem.

A good Godox battery pack has a voltage of 12.6Volt. If you have an physical damaged during production battery pack then it charge to a lower voltage.

Drk ­ Orange
610 posts
Joined Apr 2004

Jan 27, 2018 06:15 as a reply to  @ mmmfotografie's post |  #6684

Hmm... I did briefly consider the possibility of the issue being lack of current capacity from the new battery. That'll be something easy for me to test tomorrow. (But I do like the idea of using Makita batteries)

jlafferty
215 posts
Joined Feb 2017

Jan 27, 2018 11:42 |  #6685

I get that it "works". You can also drive 50 in 3rd gear, or with the e brake engaged. It's going to wreck your car. Shooting with the battery plugged in is similar.

Drk Orange wrote in post #18549914 (external link)
Bad practice or not, the flash unit works with the 12v charger plugged in*. (I have done so in the past when the batteries were losing capacity)

The batteries were the original batteries that had issues - one was replaced under warranty while the other lasted a little bit longer.

*(edit) ...and the battery connected.

Current Portfolio (external link)

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
48,744 posts
Gallery: 151 photos
Joined Apr 2003

Jan 27, 2018 12:20 |  #6686

Given the price of a new Godox battery pack, I'm not sure why one would not just get replacements. You don't need the whole unit, just the lower part. $46.00 gets you a battery that will clip right into your pack, guaranteed to function, use the same charger you already have, and charge in a very short amount of time.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

Two ­ Hot ­ Shoes
Goldmember
2,570 posts
Gallery: 286 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Apr 2014

Jan 27, 2018 12:38 |  #6687

Drk Orange wrote in post #18549723 (external link)
Some info/musings/experimen​ts on the AD360 batteries:
...Plan B has me installing a DC/DC converter and a capacitor in the battery shell and powering the unit from a remote battery pack. (Looking into a way to easily connect my 18v Makita batteries)

Tp drop the power from an 18v Lipo you'd just need a dc voltage regulator, an adjustable one.

Although what Jake said +1

Fuji: X-PRO2, X-T2, X-T1, X-E2 | 16/1.4, 18/2, 23/1.4, 35/1.4, 56/1.2, 90/2, 16-55/2.8, 10-24/4. Pelican, Ona, ThinkTank, Matthews Grip, Elinchrom
Gear & Discounts (external link)Instagram (external link)Blog (external link)

Drk ­ Orange
610 posts
Joined Apr 2004

Jan 27, 2018 17:33 |  #6688

Yeah, I could buy one, but where is the fun in that? ;)

Drk ­ Orange
610 posts
Joined Apr 2004

May 01, 2018 00:19 |  #6689

Update:

Couldn't find a replacement battery (Anybody got a link?) so it is back to home brew fun.

It looks like the Godox units are just fussy when it comes to voltage as I installed a big fat cap on the 12v battery with no difference. Then I realised three 18650 batteries will fit in the original battery case and give me the 11.1v the strobe is expecting.

Experiment successful, and all it cost me was some spare batteries and $3 worth of battery carriers I had laying about.

I have a shoot planned tomorrow so will see how it goes capacity wise, but they are 3000mAh cells which is only a little bit lower capacity than original 3800mAh but the battery pack is now a lot lighter. :D

elv
Goldmember
1,479 posts
Joined Jul 2006

May 01, 2018 03:54 |  #6690

Drk Orange wrote in post #18617172 (external link)
Update:

Couldn't find a replacement battery (Anybody got a link?)

In Sydney, though they should ship to you -

http://www.photo-shop-studio.com.au …960-spare-battery-bt4300/ (external link)

FLASHHAVOC.COM (external link)

sponsored links

1,216,994 views & 268 likes for this thread
A New Bare Bulb Flash Arrives
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.