Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 28 Apr 2018 (Saturday) 21:05
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Would you buy a 7D2 today?

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,164 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2006
Post edited over 1 year ago by DreDaze.

May 02, 2018 13:37 |  #76

Orogeny wrote in post #18618161 (external link)
My mistake. I thought you were talking about the 7D.

Tim

he was talking about the 7D...

Pondrader wrote in post #18616625 (external link)
I took this last week with the 7D.. her eye's are just out of focus because I had to shoot her in the chest using the 7D. No way to move my focus point up to her eye

it doesn't make sense because everyone knows the 7D has a focus point that could've been chosen that would cover the eye...to say there's no way to move your focus point up to her eye is weird...

Pondrader wrote in post #18618163 (external link)
lol O JJ... I think your just over thinking it just a bit... A question was asked what we think about the 7DII ??? If your not liking my answer ... well I'm ok with that. Thats the nature of forums. and I'm ok with that. Both images have been cropped and were not intended as a specific.

I gave you my perspective on the two cameras in this list I have used..and you didn't like the out come... I'm ok with that too.. You see "I'm no rocket scientist but I do get a shot or two"

it has nothing to do with your opinion on the cameras...people are confused as to why you couldn't move the focus point up...

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

sponsored links
chuckmiller
Goldmember
1,248 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Joined May 2012

May 02, 2018 14:06 |  #77

For your upcoming trip, dont buy a camera but consider renting something. Try the body you are considering and try one a notch up the scale.

Retired from Fire/Rescue with 30 years on the job 1/05/2019

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
55,306 posts
Joined Aug 2006

May 02, 2018 14:16 |  #78

chuckmiller wrote in post #18618259 (external link)
For your upcoming trip, dont buy a camera but consider renting something. Try the body you are considering and try one a notch up the scale.

That can get expensive really fast though. Just looking up rates today, renting a 7DII/80D - $79 for 7 days. Add shipping and it's close to $100

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

Pondrader
"now I'm no rocket scientist but I do get a shot or two"
16,028 posts
Gallery: 2548 photos
Best ofs: 5
Joined Aug 2012

May 02, 2018 14:31 |  #79

DreDaze wrote in post #18618231 (external link)
he was talking about the 7D...

it doesn't make sense because everyone knows the 7D has a focus point that could've been chosen that would cover the eye...to say there's no way to move your focus point up to her eye is weird...

it has nothing to do with your opinion on the cameras...people are confused as to why you couldn't move the focus point up...

Interesting that my settled on shot and crop gives you some kind of knowledge as to what I wanted before I shot this shot instead. And I will say it again so there’s no mistake. The 7D will not zoom and frame like the 7DII it simply has not got the points to get there. Unfortunately you can’t get passed the fact that it was not a example of a shot but the shot I ended up with. And the eyes shot was simply to say they need to be sharp. Idle conversations
I always talk in pictures... don’t plan on stopping any time soon.

Jeff ........, 7D, 70-300L, 100-400LII
flickr (external link)

chuckmiller
Goldmember
1,248 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Joined May 2012

May 02, 2018 14:34 |  #80

Okay, that's just me. I'd spend 100 bucks to avoid a $1000 mistake I'll have to live with for years.

gjl711 wrote in post #18618266 (external link)
That can get expensive really fast though. Just looking up rates today, renting a 7DII/80D - $79 for 7 days. Add shipping and it's close to $100

Retired from Fire/Rescue with 30 years on the job 1/05/2019

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
55,306 posts
Joined Aug 2006

May 02, 2018 14:50 |  #81

Pondrader wrote in post #18618271 (external link)
Interesting that my settled on shot and crop gives you some kind of knowledge as to what I wanted before I shot this shot instead. And I will say it again so there’s no mistake. The 7D will not zoom and frame like the 7DII it simply has not got the points to get there. Unfortunately you can’t get passed the fact that it was not a example of a shot but the shot I ended up with. And the eyes shot was simply to say they need to be sharp. Idle conversations

I think it's the way you are saying things that is confusing people. Zooming has nothing to do with focus points nor does framing. The 7DII does give you focus options in the corners that the 7Dc does not have but zooming capability is lens dependent and will be the same on both camera as will framing.

But getting back to the OPs request, none of that is what they are looking for. Increase in DR and ISO performance were listed at the top criteria. The 7DII DR is just not that much better than the 40D and the 80D has improved quite a bit at ISO 800 and lower. Noise is about the same with the 80D a tad better and it has the flip screen which the OP also mentioned as a would be nice. Of course, it's the ops decision as so much of this is selective. What's really tops on the list.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

05Xrunner
Goldmember, Flipflopper.
5,750 posts
Gallery: 52 photos
Joined Dec 2005

May 02, 2018 14:57 |  #82

I would say NOPE. Getting some real use of my Fuji XT1 at Disneyworld. It pretty much stomps the 7D2 in DR in what it can recover in shadows and Highlights. The High ISO is also better as its cleaner, finer grain holds better color. I would not look to the 7D2 if you are looking for something with good DR and high ISO. Probably 80D would be better or a 6DII if you can find a deal. Or if your not that invested look at another brand

My gear
Fuji X-T2, Fuji 18-55 2.8-4 OIS, Fuji 35 f2, Fuji 50 f2, Fuji 90 f2, Fuji 55-200 3.5-4.8 OIS
Sony RX100 II

Pondrader
16,028 posts
Joined Aug 2012
Post edited over 1 year ago by Pondrader.

May 02, 2018 15:07 as a reply to  @ gjl711's post |  #83

His opening statement he said he's been shooting the 40D for ten years and is the 7DII still a viable camera to buy or should he wait for the 7DIII and he said I think I prefer the 7DII on the 80D
I think I get it completely... And for me points have tons to do with framing. Unless your still a centre point shooter of which I am sometimes, having that joystick is everything. It was my mistake to think some could make the jump from my example of which I had just taken so I was fresh on the why's of the shot. I posted a chart covering the 80D 7DII 70D and 6D as they were mentioned. what makes no sense is that this continues... Is the 7DII still a great camera yup... many of us would still buy it again.

flickr (external link)

mcoren
633 posts
Gallery: 44 photos
Joined Mar 2015

May 02, 2018 15:10 |  #84

Well this thread has certainly gone way off into the weeds!

Let me offer a different thought based on a recent experience. Way back in post #11, I said that I just bought a 7D2 a couple of months ago. It was the last week of January, and it replaced a 70D that I had for about three years. I also have a 7D (mark I) that I bought about a year ago.

I've gone out with the 7D2 three or four times, mainly on static subjects (DC cherry blossoms and zoo animals), and I probably made about 1500 images. This weekend will be the first time I go to an airshow with it, which was one of the uses I bought it for.

Last night I was going through the settings to get ready, and I wanted to switch it from single point AF to one of the AF point expansion settings. Again, I've had a 7D for about a year, but the 7D2 has very different controls, particularly for AF settings. I could not for the life of me remember how to make that switch! Even though I know I played around with it when I first got the camera, I still had to look through the manual. Eventually I figured it out, but it took me a few minutes.

With that in mind, my advice to the OP is to consider if you really want to take a brand new camera--especially one as different from what you're used to as the 7D2--on a once-in-a-lifetime trip. If you've been happy with the results from your 40D, maybe go with that because you know it well. Then wait until after you come back to see if you still want to upgrade. At the very least, download the user manual for the 7D2 and 80D from Canon's web site and see which menu and button structure you're more comfortable with.

Mike

Canon EOS 7D Mark II, EOS M5, and EOS 100 (film SLR)
A bunch of Canon lenses and a couple of Sigmas
A backpack, a bicycle, and a pair of hiking boots

DreDaze
happy with myself for not saying anything stupid
18,164 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Mar 2006
Post edited over 1 year ago by DreDaze.

May 02, 2018 15:11 |  #85

Pondrader wrote in post #18618271 (external link)

zoom and frame? we are wondering why you had to focus on the deer's chest, and couldn't get a focus point on the eye...that's it...you made it sound like with a 7D you are limited to not being able to focus on the eye, meanwhile with a 7DII that is easily accomplished...

Andre or Dre
gear list
Instagram (external link)
flickr (external link)

Pondrader
16,028 posts
Joined Aug 2012

May 02, 2018 15:12 as a reply to  @ mcoren's post |  #86

Thank Goodness Mike...Please carry on

flickr (external link)

Canonuser123
692 posts
Gallery: 34 photos
Joined Dec 2014

May 02, 2018 15:25 as a reply to  @ mcoren's post |  #87

When I got my 7D mark II it was to replace a 50D, I too was a little unsure how to use the AF properly, luckily Canon has some videos on how the AF works that you can find on Youtube.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,005 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited over 1 year ago by TeamSpeed. (7 edits in all)

May 02, 2018 15:48 |  #88

gjl711 wrote in post #18618285 (external link)
But getting back to the OPs request, none of that is what they are looking for. Increase in DR and ISO performance were listed at the top criteria. The 7DII DR is just not that much better than the 40D and the 80D has improved quite a bit at ISO 800 and lower. Noise is about the same with the 80D a tad better and it has the flip screen which the OP also mentioned as a would be nice. Of course, it's the ops decision as so much of this is selective. What's really tops on the list.

2 points of clarification.... ;)

1. The 80D is only significantly better by a stop or so in DR through ISO 300. After that, the two come together pretty closely. The 40D is about 1/2 stop worse again, and that gap grows the higher up the ISO you go past 800. Interestingly this is the same with the Fuji XT1, but there you only have one ISO stop where the Fuji is one stop better, from 200 to 300. Then the gap narrows like the 80D, but still maintains a respectable lead until about ISO 600.

2. The 80D is a tad worse than the 7D2 at high ISO.

Therefore the only real advantage the 80D has over the 7D2 is if one shoots at ISO 100 or 200 and needs extreme DR and also if they need the other features like touch screen and tilting LCD, Wifi, and budgetary restrictions dictates spending a bit less and forgo 10fps, 2 slots, a bit better weather seal and build quality, GPS, and AF system.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

7D2 DR test just to show you can push the 7D2 beyond what the older bodies could do, 7D and before.... This was extreme and once you push it past 2-3 stops, you will have a bit of banding/noise to deal with that the 80D would have less of. I rarely use my 7D2 these days and keep meaning to put it up for sale, however, for some reason, I just find other things to do. :)

IMAGE: https://photos.smugmug.com/Electronics/7D2-Tests/i-3rJmnSd/0/f07f7ca3/O/potnb.gif

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: 2x Teleconverter
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

Ah-keong
Goldmember
1,086 posts
Gallery: 101 photos
Joined Apr 2016

May 02, 2018 21:30 |  #89

As of today (assuming infinite $$$ in the bank account)

For general purpose shooting, I would get a 80D.

For lowlight and action (sports, wildlife, lowlight, etc), I would get a 7D2 or wait for 7D3.

For serious lowlight and action, I would get a 1DX2 !

Arrgh, I am saving up for 1DX2. It is like apples and oranges compared to 7D2....  :p

Canon 7D2+grip | 18-35mm ART | EF-S 10-18mm | EF 70-200mm f/2,8L IS II | ZE 2/100mm | ZE 2/35mm | ZE 1,4/85mm | CV 3,5/20mm Skopar | CV 1,4/58mm Nokton | Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2,8D | DC-Nikkor 105mm f/2D |
Olympus E-PL3 | 7-14mm f/2,8 |
Speedlite 430EX III-RT | 600EX-RT | YN 600EX-RT |
Manfrotto BeFree Travel Tripod |

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,005 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited over 1 year ago by TeamSpeed.

May 02, 2018 22:18 as a reply to  @ Ah-keong's post |  #90

I can get a 1DX2 tomorrow if I want, but there is little it gives me over the 5D4. The 5D4 is a tremendous value for the money these days. All the 1DX2 really gets me is a bit faster AF (which the 5D4 is no slouch at), and up to 14fps, all at the expense of resolution. I have a hard time finding the price delta worth it.

I am actually considering the Sony A9, once I get off my bum and list the 7D2.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: 2x Teleconverter
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

sponsored links

8,034 views & 34 likes for this thread
Would you buy a 7D2 today?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.