Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 04 May 2018 (Friday) 00:51
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

multiple monitors with DPP 4

ncjohn
737 posts
Joined Apr 2010

May 04, 2018 00:51 |  #1

I have DPP 4.8.30.0. I have seen many websites mention the fact that DPP 4 allows you to use dual displays, but I have spent over an hour trying to figure out how to do it. I have not found even one site that actually tells how to do it; I think they're all just quoting what they read on some other site. I also couldn't find it in the manual.
Can someone tell me how to configure DPP for 2 monitors?
Thanks

sponsored links
Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
8,075 posts
Joined Oct 2015

May 04, 2018 04:59 |  #2

As I understand things, software (like DPP, Word, etc...) doesn't manage display(s). That job is up to the Operating System (OS) and the video drivers. Windows can use two monitors to display whatever you want to put up on them, with the proper video cards and video controllers.

mwsilver
Goldmember
3,888 posts
Gallery: 46 photos
Joined Oct 2011

May 04, 2018 08:42 |  #3

ncjohn wrote in post #18619158 (external link)
I have DPP 4.8.30.0. I have seen many websites mention the fact that DPP 4 allows you to use dual displays, but I have spent over an hour trying to figure out how to do it. I have not found even one site that actually tells how to do it; I think they're all just quoting what they read on some other site. I also couldn't find it in the manual.
Can someone tell me how to configure DPP for 2 monitors?
Thanks

I personally never tried it, but according to Canon,
"Digital Photo Professional also provides dual display support, so you can place the preview window and the floating tool palette on the main screen and view the thumbnails on the secondary display."

You'll need to sent up your monitor for dual display first based on the operating system parameters. Then I would suggest you just play with it.

Mark
Canon 7D2, 60D, T3i, T2i, Sigma 18-35 f/1.8, 30 f/1.4. Canon EF 70-200 L f/4 IS, EF 35 f/2 IS, EFs 10-18 STM, EFs 15-85, EFs 18-200, EF 50 f/1.8 STM, Tamron 18-270 PZD, B+W MRC CPL, Canon 320EX, Vanguard Alta Pro 254CT & SBH 250 head. RODE Stereo Videomic Pro, DXO PhotoLab Elite, ON1

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,920 posts
Gallery: 161 photos
Joined Apr 2003

May 04, 2018 10:25 |  #4

I can't remember trying with DPP4,. but strangely I find that a LOT of Graphic application software offers terrible, limited, or even non existent support for dual monitors.

Photoshop was fully Dual monitor supporting as far back as 2003 -ish, with dockable toolbars and or image windows that could be placed on any monitor, with the layout savable.

10 years later I was dumping RAW converters based solely on their inability to allow me to use Dual Monitors. In one case, and excellent RAW converter (Bibble) went from very good multi monitor support to very poor multi monitor support with a supposed "upgrade" !!

So may right now claim "dual" or "multi" monitor support when all you can really get is a set of thumbs on the 2nd monitor.

I ONLY consider a graphics app to support Dual Monitors IF I can have one monitor displaying nothing but the image, and the other monitor used for toolbars, thumbs, file structure etc.. If you can't let me view the image alone, then your not giving me any advantage to multi monitors.

Capture 1 and Photoshop are the two that I know will allow me to do this.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,920 posts
Joined Apr 2003
Post edited over 1 year ago by CyberDyneSystems.

May 04, 2018 10:30 |  #5

I'm at work with an old copy of DPP 3 installed, but one can use dual monitors in a limited fashion.

You can put the main window with the file list/thumbs and tools on one monitor, and you can double click any thumb to open a new window which can be put on a 2nd monitor and edit that image that way. When you click some fo the tools on the tool window, strangely a 3rd window will open with the image a 2nd time,. but that window too can be used on a separate monitor.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS

ncjohn
THREAD ­ STARTER
737 posts
Joined Apr 2010

May 04, 2018 11:42 |  #6

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18619361 (external link)
I ONLY consider a graphics app to support Dual Monitors IF I can have one monitor displaying nothing but the image, and the other monitor used for toolbars, thumbs, file structure etc.. If you can't let me view the image alone, then your not giving me any advantage to multi monitors.

Agreed.

ncjohn
THREAD ­ STARTER
737 posts
Joined Apr 2010

May 04, 2018 11:49 |  #7

mwsilver wrote in post #18619313 (external link)
"Digital Photo Professional also provides dual display support, so you can place the preview window and the floating tool palette on the main screen and view the thumbnails on the secondary display."

I've seen this quote on at least half a dozen sites, and it doesn't tell me anything. I can't find any way to separate the toolbar, or thumbnails, or any other component from the main window.
On a lot of programs, like Affinity, or PSElements, you can just grab the window containing your image and separate it from your main window. Then you can just move that window to a second (or third) screen. Heck, with Affinity you can have your main window on one screen, your image on a different screen, and your palettes on a third screen. I can't separate anything from the main window with DPP4.

ncjohn
THREAD ­ STARTER
737 posts
Joined Apr 2010

May 04, 2018 12:00 |  #8

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18619362 (external link)
I'm at work with an old copy of DPP 3 installed, but one can use dual monitors in a limited fashion.

You can put the main window with the file list/thumbs and tools on one monitor, and you can double click any thumb to open a new window which can be put on a 2nd monitor and edit that image that way. When you click some fo the tools on the tool window, strangely a 3rd window will open with the image a 2nd time,. but that window too can be used on a separate monitor.

Making the new windows movable like that is perfect. But when I open an image in DPP4, it seems to just displace some of the existing main window, rather than open a new, movable window. I'm unable to separate out any toolbars or thumbnails or images or any part of the main window and move it away. It's just all glued together.

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,920 posts
Joined Apr 2003

May 04, 2018 12:10 |  #9

Maybe Canon went "Bibble" on DPP 4 and made a giant leap backwards too. So annoying!

I have been using Dual monitors at home and work since Windows 95!
It boggles the mind that developers for GRAPHICS Apps can't get this down.

It's even more ridiculous than Adobe waiting an extra 6 years to offer 64bit support for Photoshop (which desperately needed all the RAM it could get)

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS

ncjohn
THREAD ­ STARTER
737 posts
Joined Apr 2010

May 04, 2018 12:12 |  #10

This is Affinity Photo. Main window on the right, image in the center, palettes on the left. Or, most importantly, anything you want, anywhere you want it.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

ncjohn
THREAD ­ STARTER
737 posts
Joined Apr 2010

May 04, 2018 14:27 |  #11

Well, the mystery is apparently solved.
When DPP is in "multi-mode" and has a preview image in addition to thumbnails, there doesn't seem to be a movable tool palette and nothing will separate; double-clicking a thumbnail just opens it as the preview image (which also doesn't separate from the main window).
But when DPP is in "thumbnail mode" and there is no preview image, then double-clicking a thumbnail both opens a separate movable image window and also opens the movable tool palette.
I don't know if DPP opened up initially in preview mode or if I did that myself while fiddling around. But today it opened in thumbnail mode and I just happened to double-click a thumbnail and voila!
Oh, and in addition to the tool palette, the histogram and navigator "palettes" also are repositionable. So, maybe not as flexible as Affinity, but definitely better than having it all just stuck together in one block on one monitor.

sponsored links

1,828 views & 3 likes for this thread
multiple monitors with DPP 4
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.