Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 02 Jul 2015 (Thursday) 05:28
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

How much parabolic are parabolic light modifiers ...

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
12,766 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2004

Apr 12, 2018 17:19 |  #121

Also: "Deep Parabolic Softbox"

Wut?

sponsored links
MayaTlab
99 posts
Joined Sep 2016
Post edited 3 months ago by MayaTlab.

May 05, 2018 07:25 as a reply to  @ RDKirk's post |  #122

Let's have fun with Adorama's latest Glow lineup of so-called "parabolic" softboxes :

"The GLOW EZ LOCK DEEP PARABOLIC SOFTBOX is the ideal shape for the transmission of light, over short or long distances; the mirror-symmetrical parabola. The energy output of a monolight is enhanced from the particular parabolic bowl reflector design. The variations of use range from a soft quasi-reverse umbrella to a super hard polished magnum bullet, depending on your deployment. All of the light that your high watt second flash produces pours out of the round softbox, surrounding your subject with a wrap of rich, even light, full of detail and realistic tactile quality, unique to this modifier design form factor."

https://www.adorama.co​m/glsbez38.html?EmailP​rice=T (external link)

I don't know what they're smoking, but I want it ! I'd love to have a "mirror-symmetrical parabola" that becomes a "super hard polished magnum bullet".

Of course, needless to say that none of them actually are parabolic :D.

Besides not being parabolic, it looks like a nice modifier and good value for money.

At the opposite end of the spectrum, SMDV has released a new lineup of "Mega" softboxes, with 24 fabric sides. The larger ones are reasonably parabolic in terms of shape (but not the smaller ones) :

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

There is no mention of them being marketed as "parabolic" by SMDV. This is the nonsense we're living under now : everyone's selling their modifier as parabolic now, except the ones who could actually pretend to do so. *brain fart*.

simonbarker
197 posts
Joined Mar 2009

May 05, 2018 21:22 |  #123

MayaTlab wrote in post #18619906 (external link)
I don't know what they're smoking, but I want it ! I'd love to have a "mirror-symmetrical parabola" that becomes a "super hard polished magnum bullet".

I'd pay money if you want to make a video with one of the store staff explaining what makes it special by being 'parabolic'.

MayaTlab
99 posts
Joined Sep 2016
Post edited 3 months ago by MayaTlab.

May 06, 2018 08:14 as a reply to  @ simonbarker's post |  #124

I'm in if you're willing to pay for a return ticket across the pond :D !

Seriously I may actually go to Adorama next time I'm in NYC as I might be interested in some of their newer umbrellas (marketed as being parabolic of course, which obviously means that they aren't :D), but their shipping costs are very expensive for something of an unknown quality in some areas.

I'd love to try these new SMDV modifiers as well. Related to the content of this thread, something of an unknown with them is exactly how the silver material will behave. It is slightly pebbled / embossed, most likely to avoid, combined with the 24 sides and SMDV's pretty good tension between the ribs, the bicycle wheel illumination pattern that we've seen in a few photos in this thread. However, if it excessively scatters light, beyond the goal mentioned previously, it might reduce too much the paraboloid properties of the larger ones. If one's aim is to reduce the bicycle wheel illumination pattern, it seems that choosing the right silver material is a very fine line and going to far either way (either too reflective, or too scattering) can be problematic.

RDKirk
12,766 posts
Joined May 2004

May 06, 2018 08:21 |  #125

MayaTlab wrote in post #18619906 (external link)
Let's have fun with Adorama's latest Glow lineup of so-called "parabolic" softboxes :

"The GLOW EZ LOCK DEEP PARABOLIC SOFTBOX is the ideal shape for the transmission of light, over short or long distances; the mirror-symmetrical parabola. The energy output of a monolight is enhanced from the particular parabolic bowl reflector design. The variations of use range from a soft quasi-reverse umbrella to a super hard polished magnum bullet, depending on your deployment. All of the light that your high watt second flash produces pours out of the round softbox, surrounding your subject with a wrap of rich, even light, full of detail and realistic tactile quality, unique to this modifier design form factor."

Let's back up a bit and re-consider "parabolic softbox."

I say again: Wut?

Angmo
looks like I picked a bad week to give up halucinagens
855 posts
Gallery: 23 photos
Joined Dec 2015

May 06, 2018 09:16 |  #126

RDKirk wrote in post #18620466 (external link)
Let's back up a bit and re-consider "parabolic softbox."

I say again: Wut?

Parabolic referring to shape as opposed to 3x4 softbox also referring to shape..?

Nikons, Rolleiflexes, Elinchroms, Billinghams

RDKirk
12,766 posts
Joined May 2004

May 06, 2018 11:12 |  #127

Angmo wrote in post #18620496 (external link)
Parabolic referring to shape as opposed to 3x4 softbox also referring to shape..?

If the diffusion is effective, it doesn't make any difference what the shape is behind the diffusion surface.

HelenOster
That's me!
4,439 posts
Joined Jul 2008

May 06, 2018 11:34 |  #128

MayaTlab wrote in post #18620461 (external link)
I'm in if you're willing to pay for a return ticket across the pond :D !

Seriously I may actually go to Adorama next time I'm in NYC as I might be interested in some of their newer umbrellas (marketed as being parabolic of course, which obviously means that they aren't :D), but their shipping costs are very expensive for something of an unknown quality in some areas.

We will be delighted to see you!

Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador
Helen@adorama.com
http://twitter.com/Hel​enOster (external link)
http://www.flickr.com/​people/22264746@N07/ (external link)

Angmo
looks like I picked a bad week to give up halucinagens
855 posts
Gallery: 23 photos
Joined Dec 2015
Post edited 3 months ago by Angmo.

May 06, 2018 12:21 |  #129

RDKirk wrote in post #18620551 (external link)
If the diffusion is effective, it doesn't make any difference what the shape is behind the diffusion surface.

Without diffusion, the Broncolor Para sings its performance. Lightly diffused is a dream.

Nikons, Rolleiflexes, Elinchroms, Billinghams

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
18,965 posts
Joined Nov 2007

May 06, 2018 13:23 |  #130

Watching this:
https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=-J0V0fFGzVY (external link)

and you see the outer ring affect which also changes based on your subject position which I would have thought to depend solely on the position of the strobe. Do the other modifiers mentioned here do anything like this ring affect?

5dmk3, 35L, 85L II, 300mm f2.8 IS I, 400mm f5.6
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, 50-140mm f2.8

MayaTlab
99 posts
Joined Sep 2016

May 06, 2018 13:51 |  #131

bobbyz wrote in post #18620627 (external link)
Watching this:
https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=-J0V0fFGzVY (external link)

and you see the outer ring affect which also changes based on your subject position which I would have thought to depend solely on the position of the strobe. Do the other modifiers mentioned here do anything like this ring affect?

It's very simple in theory, and in practice complicated : silver materials behave like imperfect mirrors. They will bounce back the light rays that hit them at the opposite angle.

HOSTED PHOTO

Now the truth of the matter is that there are 50 shades of silver materials, which will fall on a spectrum between very reflective, mirror-like, and very scattering ones.

The larger Broncolor paras (177 and above) belong to the rather reflective / shiny category.

The result is that what the subject is seeing is a substantially degraded "mirror" image of the flash tube. If the subject moves, it's no longer aligned with the reflected beam coming from the flash tube.

That's why when using indirect silver reflectors, it's best practice to be monitoring what the modifier effectively looks like from the subject's point of view. With these physical size and shape =/= actual light quality.

F2Bthere
924 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Post edited 2 months ago by F2Bthere.

Jun 04, 2018 06:23 |  #132

Has anyone checked how parabolic the Aputure Light Dome or Light Dome Mini are? Has anyone used them?

https://www.aputure.co​m/products/light-dome (external link)

https://www.aputure.co​m/products/light-dome-mini (external link)

And version II:

https://www.newsshoote​r.com …he-quick-deploy-soft-box/ (external link)

C&C always welcomed...
On my images, of course, and on my words as well--as long as it's constructive :).
https://www.instagram.​com/storyinpictures_co​m/ (external link)

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
18,965 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Post edited 2 months ago by bobbyz.

Jun 04, 2018 09:32 |  #133

That is your typical deep softbox not the parabolic ones where strobes mount facing backwards and you can adjust focussing.

5dmk3, 35L, 85L II, 300mm f2.8 IS I, 400mm f5.6
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, 50-140mm f2.8

F2Bthere
924 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Jun 04, 2018 22:34 |  #134

bobbyz wrote in post #18638933 (external link)
That is your typical deep softbox not the parabolic ones where strobes mount facing backwards and you can adjust focussing.

You are correct, but reverse mounts are fairly easy to find from Cheetastand and several generic Chinese manufacturers, not to mention using an Elinchrom indirect mount.

At this point, it's more about the shape if you are willing to home-brew. :)

C&C always welcomed...
On my images, of course, and on my words as well--as long as it's constructive :).
https://www.instagram.​com/storyinpictures_co​m/ (external link)

nixland
THREAD ­ STARTER
502 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jun 05, 2018 02:02 |  #135

F2Bthere wrote in post #18638822 (external link)
Has anyone checked how parabolic the Aputure Light Dome or Light Dome Mini are? Has anyone used them?

https://www.aputure.co​m/products/light-dome (external link)

https://www.aputure.co​m/products/light-dome-mini (external link)

And version II:

https://www.newsshoote​r.com …he-quick-deploy-soft-box/ (external link)

There is no 90 degree side viewing picture of the modifier on that website, so these para curve matching is not accurate, though it may give some rough estimate :)

As I frequently said before, shallow depth para curve is easier to achieve than the deep one.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

sponsored links

42,522 views & 64 likes for this thread
How much parabolic are parabolic light modifiers ...
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.