Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera 
Thread started 05 May 2018 (Saturday) 16:40
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon 5D4 iv vs Canon 5DIII image quality

George ­ Zip
THREAD ­ STARTER
My neighbours are looking at me a bit strangely
1,307 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Aug 2015

May 07, 2018 23:17 |  #16

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18621574 (external link)
The 5d4 has cleaner ISO throughout the range and you can push shadows more below ISO 800.

The 5ds wasn't meant to compete with the 5d4, but rather is a high resolution 5d3, in a sense.

Rodger

sponsored links
AlanU
Cream of the Crop
6,399 posts
Gallery: 57 photos
Joined Feb 2008
Post edited 1 month ago by AlanU.

May 07, 2018 23:30 |  #17

I really do like my 5dmk3 as it's always delivered great IQ. I'm just finding my current Canon lenses tend to have a sharper micro contrast image with the 5dmk4 due to possible extra mega pixels. I do find between the two I can usually tell the difference.

5Dmkiv |5Dmkiii | 24LmkII | 35mm f/2 IS | 85 mkII L | 100L | 16-35L mkII | 24-70 f/2.8L mkii| 70-200 f/2.8 ISL mkII| 600EX-RT x2 | 580 EX II x2 | Einstein's
Fuji X-T2 w/battery booster | 16mm f/1.4 | 56 f/1.2 | 10-24 f/4.0 | 50-140 | TT685
Sony A7iii w/ Sigma MC-11 adapter | Godox V860iiS

George ­ Zip
THREAD ­ STARTER
My neighbours are looking at me a bit strangely
1,307 posts
Gallery: 28 photos
Joined Aug 2015

May 08, 2018 04:34 |  #18

The more I think about this, the more I think I should use bite he butllet and stop being a cheapskate and get the 5d4 again as a second.

Suspect I will kick myself if I got the 5d3. Not because it’s a bad camera obviously but the inferior AF, no flicker control and so on.

I suspect the variance in files will annoy me in PP, plus I think as I want to use the two cameras simultaneously at times it is my job to provide the best consistent photos I can supply. Especially shooting weddings which is my thing.

Thanks

AlanU
Cream of the Crop
6,399 posts
Gallery: 57 photos
Joined Feb 2008

May 08, 2018 08:41 |  #19

George Zip wrote in post #18621727 (external link)
The more I think about this, the more I think I should use bite he butllet and stop being a cheapskate and get the 5d4 again as a second.

Suspect I will kick myself if I got the 5d3. Not because it’s a bad camera obviously but the inferior AF, no flicker control and so on.

I suspect the variance in files will annoy me in PP, plus I think as I want to use the two cameras simultaneously at times it is my job to provide the best consistent photos I can supply. Especially shooting weddings which is my thing.

Thanks

I think you will notice the way you can push/ pull the exposure with the 5dmk4 vs the slightly more rigid less dynamic range of the 5d3.

Otherwise processing wise they both react very similar in light room from my experience .

5Dmkiv |5Dmkiii | 24LmkII | 35mm f/2 IS | 85 mkII L | 100L | 16-35L mkII | 24-70 f/2.8L mkii| 70-200 f/2.8 ISL mkII| 600EX-RT x2 | 580 EX II x2 | Einstein's
Fuji X-T2 w/battery booster | 16mm f/1.4 | 56 f/1.2 | 10-24 f/4.0 | 50-140 | TT685
Sony A7iii w/ Sigma MC-11 adapter | Godox V860iiS

StarJack
565 posts
Joined Oct 2005

May 08, 2018 13:40 |  #20

George Zip wrote in post #18621727 (external link)

Thanks

Do this and don't think about it anymore. You will not regret this decision. Over time, the accumulation of the minor annoyances you just mentioned would live on long past the savings in money you would realize with the 5D3.

Regards,
Steve

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
48,386 posts
Gallery: 84 photos
Joined Apr 2003

May 08, 2018 14:08 |  #21

The 5D3 will always be 2nd fiddle compared to the 4. So it seems if you need a second body often, and can afford it, then why not just go for it.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
11,948 posts
Gallery: 138 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

May 08, 2018 15:31 |  #22

umphotography wrote in post #18620476 (external link)
A 5D4 has a full stop and more over the 5D3. Im comfortable pushing a 5D3 to 6400-8000 ISO

Have no issues pushing the 5D4 to 12800-16000 ISO......Its that good

To get a full stop at a body upgrade is a substantial upgrade

To me, a full stop of increased ISO performance seems like an enormous improvement that would have an extreme effect on my shooting.

I have done extensive research on the 5 series, and concluded that I have no interest whatsoever in the 5D3. . However, the 5D4 is my current "dream camera" - the one I will buy once I acquire enough money to do so (probably in a year or two).

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

umphotography
grabbing their Johnson
10,016 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Oct 2007

May 08, 2018 16:40 |  #23

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18622093 (external link)
To me, a full stop of increased ISO performance seems like an enormous improvement that would have an extreme effect on my shooting.

I have done extensive research on the 5 series, and concluded that I have no interest whatsoever in the 5D3. . However, the 5D4 is my current "dream camera" - the one I will buy once I acquire enough money to do so (probably in a year or two).

Tom not sure what body you are currently using

But for how I shoot and judge sensor performance- I see a a full stop on the new sensor over the 5D3. The 5D4 sensor is a substantial improvement over the 5D3. I try to not go past 6400 on the 5D3...zero reservations going to 12800 on the 5D4

Mike
www.umphotography.com (external link)
GEAR LIST
Facebook (external link)

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
11,948 posts
Joined Dec 2008

May 08, 2018 16:45 |  #24

umphotography wrote in post #18622138 (external link)
Tom not sure what body you are currently using

I am currently using a 1D4 and a 6D.

From what I've seen, a 5D3 wouldn't provide much advantage over these bodies, but a 5D4 would be a huge advantage. . But used 5D4s are going for upwards of $2400, which will take me over a year to scrape and save up for, even if I sell one of my current bodies and put the proceeds towards the 5D4 purchase.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
48,386 posts
Gallery: 84 photos
Joined Apr 2003

May 08, 2018 17:51 |  #25

Tom, you are correct, it will be a huge improvement. I still shoot a 1D4 as well. And I used to shoot a 5D3. 5D4 is a new ball game.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
11,948 posts
Joined Dec 2008

May 08, 2018 17:56 |  #26

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18622183 (external link)
Tom, you are correct, it will be a huge improvement. I still shoot a 1D4 as well. And I used to shoot a 5D3. 5D4 is a new ball game.

Would LOVE to get the 5D4 in time to take it on my trip to Barrow next month. . But of course the money is being spent on the trip, so there's nothing left for a camera upgrade. . If I'd spent the money on a 5D4, there would be no trip to Barrow ..... I think I made the right decision.

sponsored links

1,042 views & 18 likes for this thread
Canon 5D4 iv vs Canon 5DIII image quality
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.