Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Cameras 
Thread started 09 Jun 2017 (Friday) 10:57
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Sony Lounge Thread MKIII (All Sony cameras welcome)

Charlie
Guess What! I'm Pregnant!
14,746 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Sep 2007

May 11, 2018 11:59 |  #16471

Talley wrote in post #18623848 (external link)
Just got my 85 1.8 yesterday. I’m floored how well it performs.

Giving up the 2/3 stop is the only battle but the lens passes my IQ demands

I know not the most popular lens, but you should try out either the FE 35 f2.8 or SY 35 f2.8. I know the FE keeps up with the 35, possibly a hair better. Just really nice having a pancake like lens on the body. The f2.8 can be a burden, but you just sort of learn to love it. I love mine to death, however I did have a lukewarm reaction when I initially acquired the lens. It's a lens I learned to love, and do love it dearly. Do I wish it was F2 or faster? sure, but not at the cost of any size increase, that may be a tall order.

Sony A7rii/A7riii - FE 12-24/4 - FE 24-240 - FE 35/2.8 - SY 35/1.4 AF - FE 50/1.8 - FE 85/1.8 - EF 135/1.8 Art - F 600/5.6 - CZ 100-300 - Astro Rok 14/2.8 - Tamron 28-75/2.8 RXD, 70-200/2.8 VC

sponsored links
KayakPhotos
Goldmember
3,035 posts
Gallery: 60 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined May 2008
Post edited 3 months ago by KayakPhotos.

May 11, 2018 12:03 |  #16472

cc1995 wrote in post #18623828 (external link)
I have the Sony FE 90 Macro as well that I use mainly for food shots for a restaurant. I really would like to start using it more for bugs, flowers etc. but can never seem to get as close to the subjects as everyone on here does. Did you use extension tubes for any of these shots? or focus stacking? Every time I try to shoot an insect it moves or flies away...lol What the hell is everyone's secret of how you manage to get theses wonderful shots so close?

Patience... It's a lot of trial and error and you have to stick with it. Something to remember when shooting bugs, especially dragonflies, is that they tend to go back to the same place if they fly away. Watch where they fly from, set yourself up at that location and take a photo of them when they return to the same place.

I don't currently have any extension tubes and my shots are all with the native lens and cropping. I also haven't been focus stacking. I want to start doing this, but shoot mostly handheld for macro so I haven't spent much time learning it. I usually shoot around f/8-f/11 unless I really want to isolate something and then pay a lot of attention to the area I want to be in focus. Being able to "zoom in" using the viewfinder is one of my favorite aspects of an electronic viewfinder.

I start out further out and keep going closer and closer until the subject flies away. That way I at least have shots and can crop for my images if I can't get as close. I use the same strategy with wildlife photography as well.

Just a thought from Daniel
Pictures (external link)
Gear

navydoc
Cream of the Crop
12,007 posts
Gallery: 99 photos
Joined Oct 2009

May 11, 2018 12:06 |  #16473

digital_AM wrote in post #18623882 (external link)
A shot of the new Frost Tower going up. I caught this reflection shot from the San Pedro Creek Culture Park with the Zeiss 35mm f2 ZE.

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/24ih​Lnf  (external link) Frost Tower Going Up (external link) by Alfredo Mora (external link), on Flickr

Nice. I like the flowers on the left. Too bad you weren't able to take a step or two to the right for the shot so the tree wouldn't be so jammed up with the tower and in order to show more of what's behind it.

Gene - My Photo Gallery || (external link) My USS Oriskany website (external link) || My Flickr (external link)
Take nothing but photos - leave nothing but footprints - break nothing but silence - kill nothing but time.

digital_AM
Cream of the Crop
6,632 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2010

May 11, 2018 12:17 |  #16474

navydoc wrote in post #18623898 (external link)
Nice. I like the flowers on the left. Too bad you weren't able to take a step or two to the right for the shot so the tree wouldn't be so jammed up with the tower and in order to show more of what's behind it.

Thanks Gene. Actually what’s behind the tree is the old Frost Building which will be replaced by the new tower.

LeeRatters
Goldmember
4,559 posts
Joined Aug 2009

May 11, 2018 12:38 |  #16475

IMAGE: https://farm1.staticflickr.com/971/42041913951_2645051463_o.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/2746​Nin  (external link) *** (external link) by Lee (external link), on Flickr

Well, I've managed one Bluebell photo so far this year....... :rolleyes::lol:

IMAGE: https://farm1.staticflickr.com/977/41997623532_e01c480a72_o.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/26Zb​Nis  (external link) *** (external link) by Lee (external link), on Flickr

Katie-May's suggestion that this would be a good tree for a photo :)

IMAGE: https://farm1.staticflickr.com/952/27171603147_5c1df63b1e_o.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/Hp4y​Yk  (external link) *** (external link) by Lee (external link), on Flickr

>> Flickr << (external link)

>> Instagram<< (external link)

Talley
Talley Whacker
10,646 posts
Gallery: 41 photos
Joined Dec 2011

May 11, 2018 13:14 |  #16476

Charlie wrote in post #18623895 (external link)
I know not the most popular lens, but you should try out either the FE 35 f2.8 or SY 35 f2.8. I know the FE keeps up with the 35, possibly a hair better. Just really nice having a pancake like lens on the body. The f2.8 can be a burden, but you just sort of learn to love it. I love mine to death, however I did have a lukewarm reaction when I initially acquired the lens. It's a lens I learned to love, and do love it dearly. Do I wish it was F2 or faster? sure, but not at the cost of any size increase, that may be a tall order.

I have the SY35 also. And the 50 1.8 but fixing to ditch it and get the 55 1.8

My entire hobby of gear lust has temporarily been shifted into overload. Please be patient while my mind tries to get back onto the road to recovery. We do apologize for any inconvenience this may cause....
My Gear Archive

MedicineMan4040
The Magic Johnson of Cameras
14,834 posts
Gallery: 1407 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Jul 2013

May 11, 2018 13:18 as a reply to  @ post 18623834 |  #16477

Or shoot them at 800mm :)

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

flickr (external link)
Vid Collection: https://www.youtube.co​m/user/medicineman4040 (external link)

Miranda1
771 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined May 2005

May 11, 2018 13:19 |  #16478

Charlie wrote in post #18623351 (external link)
I'm a believer that GAS can come to an end..... I want to believe  :p

not that I dont enjoy gear, I do very much, but when I'm very satisfied with gear, then GAS starts to die down.

if I second guess my gear, then GAS can creep up. The selection process was long and laborious, but I think I found a winning combo for myself.

GAS is about finding happiness right? Eventually, you find what works for you and how you shoot. I've been through deep explorations to find my set of lenses. In fact, I have a balance in my PP account right now, I really can satisfy GAS if I had any itching, but I'de be contrived to find it at this point. I need all of my commonly used lenses to be sensible in size and reasonably fast, and I feel I'm there. I can take a trip tomorrow to anywhere in the world and feel that I can cover it well with my gear, it's a good feeling. I wouldnt feel bogged down or worried that I'm restricted. It's times when I shoot something, and a missing factor that gets my GAS going.

I can go hiking with my brother, and have specific gear for that scenario. Go to the beach with the kids and have another set. Travel to europe, and have a different set. Capture my kids at their dance and have another set. It's a good feeling. At this point, I'm a bit more focused that my current set can do a dual purpose of video and photos.

Not very exciting that GAS dies, but in the end, happiness with gear is why GAS exists right?

Charlie, there is plenty to agree with in your post from my perspective. I'm now at a point where I have no craving for anything out there from a lens perspective, it's an odd feeling actually.

I've built a great manual focus kit built around a really nice set of Leica and Zeiss and VC M mount primes and also a fantastic set of native auto focus zooms and primes, really great place to be. My only regret is selling my Leica Tri-Elmar 16-18-21, it was such a compact lens, I miss it every time I go out with my prime kit.

Sony A7R2
Canon/Sony Glass: Canon 200 F2, Sigma 135 1.8,12-24 G, 16-35 GM, 24-70 GM, 90 GM
Zeiss Glass: 55 OTUS, 100 Makro Planar, Contax 100-300
Legacy and M Mount Glass: Leica 90 APO, Zeiss 35 1.4 Distagon, Zeiss 50 1.5 C, Zeiss Biogon 25 ZM, Zeiss 85 Tele-Tessar, Canon 50 F0.95, Canon 90 F2 Serenar, Rokkor 58 F1.2, Meyer-Optik Trioplan 100 F2.8, Zeiss Biotar 58.

Miranda1
771 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined May 2005

May 11, 2018 13:27 |  #16479

KayakPhotos wrote in post #18623896 (external link)
Patience... It's a lot of trial and error and you have to stick with it. Something to remember when shooting bugs, especially dragonflies, is that they tend to go back to the same place if they fly away. Watch where they fly from, set yourself up at that location and take a photo of them when they return to the same place.

I don't currently have any extension tubes and my shots are all with the native lens and cropping. I also haven't been focus stacking. I want to start doing this, but shoot mostly handheld for macro so I haven't spent much time learning it. I usually shoot around f/8-f/11 unless I really want to isolate something and then pay a lot of attention to the area I want to be in focus. Being able to "zoom in" using the viewfinder is one of my favorite aspects of an electronic viewfinder.

I start out further out and keep going closer and closer until the subject flies away. That way I at least have shots and can crop for my images if I can't get as close. I use the same strategy with wildlife photography as well.

Patience really is the key, I find bugs really difficult to photograph I prefer slow subject like flowers:lol: It's pretty amazing that you can actually shoot dragonflies on the wing, Ronny Olson from FM has some amazing dragon fly shots with the contax 100-300, I think you probably used the method you suggested, check where they perch ( ambush site ) and get them on the return flight back to the spot.

Sony A7R2
Canon/Sony Glass: Canon 200 F2, Sigma 135 1.8,12-24 G, 16-35 GM, 24-70 GM, 90 GM
Zeiss Glass: 55 OTUS, 100 Makro Planar, Contax 100-300
Legacy and M Mount Glass: Leica 90 APO, Zeiss 35 1.4 Distagon, Zeiss 50 1.5 C, Zeiss Biogon 25 ZM, Zeiss 85 Tele-Tessar, Canon 50 F0.95, Canon 90 F2 Serenar, Rokkor 58 F1.2, Meyer-Optik Trioplan 100 F2.8, Zeiss Biotar 58.

Talley
Talley Whacker
10,646 posts
Gallery: 41 photos
Joined Dec 2011

May 11, 2018 13:29 |  #16480

I think I’ll be happy just owning one of each lol

My entire hobby of gear lust has temporarily been shifted into overload. Please be patient while my mind tries to get back onto the road to recovery. We do apologize for any inconvenience this may cause....
My Gear Archive

AlanU
Cream of the Crop
6,554 posts
Gallery: 58 photos
Joined Feb 2008

May 11, 2018 13:41 |  #16481

xpfloyd wrote in post #18623881 (external link)
What I mean is the fact it has more glass and a faster maximum aperture doesn’t equate to “virtually identical” in my book regardless of who said it

Internal design NOT quantity of glass. As I said regurgitating info from the Sony representative.

5Dmkiv |5Dmkiii | 24LmkII | 35mm f/2 IS | 85 mkII L | 100L | 16-35L mkII | 24-70 f/2.8L mkii| 70-200 f/2.8 ISL mkII| 600EX-RT x2 | 580 EX II x2 | Einstein's
Fuji X-T2 w/battery booster | 16mm f/1.4 | 56 f/1.2 | 10-24 f/4.0 | 50-140 | TT685
Sony A7iii w/ Sigma MC-11 adapter | Sigma Art 24 f/1.4 | Godox V860iiS

xpfloyd
Cream of the Crop
11,792 posts
Gallery: 531 photos
Best ofs: 7
Joined Feb 2011
Post edited 3 months ago by xpfloyd.

May 11, 2018 13:47 |  #16482

AlanU wrote in post #18623958 (external link)
Internal design NOT quantity of glass. As I said regurgitating info from the Sony representative.

I’m not trying to argue alan and I’ll drop it. If there’s more elements then it’s a different optical design.

Eddie | flickr (external link)| gear
RX1R II | α7R III | Voigtlander 15 | Loxia 21 | Batis 25 | Batis 85

cc1995
277 posts
Joined Dec 2012

May 11, 2018 14:21 |  #16483

KayakPhotos wrote in post #18623896 (external link)

Thanks for the advice. I'll have to give these techniques a try.

navydoc
Cream of the Crop
12,007 posts
Gallery: 99 photos
Joined Oct 2009

May 11, 2018 14:42 |  #16484

I recently changed the head on my Norelco shaver and thought I'd take a photograph of it.

IMAGE: https://farm1.staticflickr.com/830/27174062697_9abf4f59cc_h.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/Hphb​7n  (external link) My Norelco (external link) by Gene (external link), on Flickr

Gene - My Photo Gallery || (external link) My USS Oriskany website (external link) || My Flickr (external link)
Take nothing but photos - leave nothing but footprints - break nothing but silence - kill nothing but time.

vinmunoz
Cream of the Crop
16,269 posts
Gallery: 418 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Sep 2010

May 11, 2018 14:44 |  #16485

i forgot i already have an extension tubes. i thought it's for APS-C only.

here's from the the 85GM and 2 extension tubes

"bokenguard"

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

| VINZ - SONY A7RIII/A6000/FDR-X3000 | 85GM | FE35F1.4ZA | FE1635F4 | FE50F1.8 | SEL30mm F3.5 Macro |
INSTAGRAM (external link)- WEBSITE (external link) - FACEBOOK (external link) - 500PX (external link)

sponsored links

988,921 views & 39,059 likes for this thread
Sony Lounge Thread MKIII (All Sony cameras welcome)
FORUMS Sony Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Sony Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.