Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 11 May 2018 (Friday) 20:57
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

TIF files in Faststone

ncjohn
737 posts
Joined Apr 2010
Post edited over 1 year ago by ncjohn.

May 11, 2018 20:57 |  #1

I've had a weird thing happening in Faststone viewer for a long time now and I'd like to know if anyone else is finding the same thing.
Sometimes it can open TIF or TIFF files just fine, and other times it gives me a really weird result that I can't even describe so I'm uploading a screenshot of it. The one on the right is what it should look like, and the one on the left is what Faststone does with it. These files that Faststone can't open work just fine in every other program I use them with. If I convert them to jpg or psd then Faststone handles them just fine.
They are single-layer files, and size doesn't seem to be the problem. Does anyone know why Faststone does this? I've written to them and am waiting for a reply.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

sponsored links
agedbriar
Goldmember
2,621 posts
Joined Jan 2007

May 12, 2018 11:15 |  #2

All I can say is that I use the Tif format and FastStone Image Viewer a lot (it's the format I archive my finished pictures in) but have never experienced that in any version of FSIV.

It is known though that Tiffs come in many flavors and yours may be one that's incompatible with the viewer. Can you tell if the problem Tiffs are all created by one particular software, different from the majority of your pictures?

Peano
Goldmember
1,757 posts
Joined Aug 2007

May 12, 2018 14:46 |  #3

I would try uninstalling Faststone Viewer and reinstalling.

---
Peano
RadiantPics.com (external link)

WiscTim
215 posts
Gallery: 79 photos
Joined Mar 2010

May 12, 2018 19:20 |  #4

I get this same effect when opening 16-bit TIF files saved from Affinity Photo in FastStone Image Viewer. I assumed it was because of the 16-bit format.

C&C always welcome, editing allowed

ncjohn
THREAD ­ STARTER
737 posts
Joined Apr 2010

May 12, 2018 20:29 |  #5

WiscTim wrote in post #18624666 (external link)
I get this same effect when opening 16-bit TIF files saved from Affinity Photo in FastStone Image Viewer. I assumed it was because of the 16-bit format.

Well, as far as I know, all the ones that do it were made with Affinity and they are 16-bit. However, a lot of the 16-bit TIFFs from Affinity (most of them) work just fine.

ncjohn
THREAD ­ STARTER
737 posts
Joined Apr 2010

May 12, 2018 20:31 |  #6

agedbriar wrote in post #18624469 (external link)
It is known though that Tiffs come in many flavors and yours may be one that's incompatible with the viewer. Can you tell if the problem Tiffs are all created by one particular software, different from the majority of your pictures?

I know there's variety in TIFFs (TIFs) from different programs, and these (as far as I know) all come from Affinity, but Affinity is pretty much what I use all the time, and most of the ones I make work just fine in FSIV. (Affinity is the only program I have that makes TIFF, as opposed to TIF; all the ones that don't work end in TIFF.)

ncjohn
THREAD ­ STARTER
737 posts
Joined Apr 2010

May 12, 2018 20:34 |  #7

Peano wrote in post #18624557 (external link)
I would try uninstalling Faststone Viewer and reinstalling.

I thought of that and downloaded a newer version; didn't fix the problem.

ShutterKlick
376 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Joined Oct 2017

May 12, 2018 22:32 |  #8

Check if you have a newer video card driver? I know it doesnt sound like it would make any difference... but check anyway. Ive had that solve some assorted issues "like that" over the decades..

HTH,
Andrew

"Camera & lens rich, Cash poor"

ncjohn
THREAD ­ STARTER
737 posts
Joined Apr 2010

May 12, 2018 22:48 |  #9

ShutterKlick wrote in post #18624749 (external link)
Check if you have a newer video card driver? I know it doesnt sound like it would make any difference... but check anyway. Ive had that solve some assorted issues "like that" over the decades..

HTH,
Andrew

It sounds good, but with 3 monitors, I have 2 video cards. (One monitor on one card, the other monitors on the other card.) The "bad" images look the same regardless of which monitor they're on.
Thanks

teekay
Goldmember
3,037 posts
Joined Apr 2001

May 12, 2018 22:54 |  #10

Can you make the original TIF file available on Dropbox or somewhere? Then we can try it on our version of FS and see if it's a file problem or a FS problem or something on your computer.

ncjohn
THREAD ­ STARTER
737 posts
Joined Apr 2010

May 13, 2018 16:38 |  #11

teekay wrote in post #18624759 (external link)
Can you make the original TIF file available on Dropbox or somewhere? Then we can try it on our version of FS and see if it's a file problem or a FS problem or something on your computer.

Good idea. This is a different one; I shrunk it to a more manageable size and it still won't open properly in FSIV.
I just opened a dropbox account, so i'm not sure if this will work, but here's the link https://www.dropbox.co​m …uwd8dd4vst/test​.tiff?dl=0 (external link)
This is what it should look like.

HOSTED PHOTO

This is what it looks like in FSIV.

HOSTED PHOTO

Thanks

teekay
Goldmember
3,037 posts
Joined Apr 2001
Post edited over 1 year ago by teekay.

May 13, 2018 17:04 |  #12

Just downloaded your test file and opened it in FS 6.5 (latest version). It shows as screwed up, same as you posted!

So what camera or software did you use to produce this file?

P.S. Just checked with some other programs. It opens perfectly OK in LR and Windows Photo Viewer but is not recognized at all by my old PSP 9.

So one thing can be ruled out - your computer isn't the problem.

ncjohn
THREAD ­ STARTER
737 posts
Joined Apr 2010

May 13, 2018 19:55 |  #13

teekay wrote in post #18625144 (external link)
So what camera or software did you use to produce this file?

Well, I like to combine a lot of different programs for different effects. Besides Affinity, the ones I use most are Portrait Pro, NeatImage, NIK, and ON1 Effects. Looking through them yesterday I actually thought that I had isolated the problem to ON1, but I found one yesterday that's never been in ON1, but still opened like this in FSIV. Actually, the only program they all have in common is Affinity, but that's because it's my "real" editing program and all the others are for effects. So I have to ask, if I were using, say, PS as my "real" editing program while still doing all the effects combinations, would I still have this weird thing going on?

I expect it's some weird reaction between some of the effects I'm using. But the really strange thing is that I can flatten the image or rasterize it and the weirdness stays with it.

P.S. Just checked with some other programs. It opens perfectly OK in LR and Windows Photo Viewer but is not recognized at all by my old PSP 9.

Yeah, it opens fine in everything I have (which is A LOT!) except FSIV and MS Office products.
Thanks for taking a look; I appreciate the feedback.

ncjohn
THREAD ­ STARTER
737 posts
Joined Apr 2010

May 13, 2018 22:12 |  #14

WiscTim wrote in post #18624666 (external link)

Tim, ALL your 16-bit TIFFs do this?

WiscTim
215 posts
Gallery: 79 photos
Joined Mar 2010

May 13, 2018 23:06 |  #15

ncjohn wrote in post #18625307 (external link)
Tim, ALL your 16-bit TIFFs do this?

No, not all 16-bit TIFFs. I just did a quick scan, and I seem to mostly have problems with LZW compression and 64-bit depth (using FastStone's right-click menu Properties item and Details tab). I have files that do not have view problems that are uncompressed and others use LZW compression and 48-bit depth.

My understanding is that 24-bit depth represents 8-bit files (8 bits per color channel) and that 48-bit depth represents 16-bit files. I don't know what the 64-bit depth means, unless those are files saved as 16-bit TIFs using the ProPhoto color space instead of sRGB. I will have to do some tests tomorrow.

C&C always welcome, editing allowed

sponsored links

3,009 views & 1 like for this thread
TIF files in Faststone
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.