Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 12 Sep 2014 (Friday) 01:26
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Background for larger group photos in studio setting?

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
8,608 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Sep 17, 2014 12:37 |  #16

RileyLewis wrote in post #17161064 (external link)
I think the idea is not to use a crossbar at all, but to just hang the paper taut between 2 stands. You'd need some weights/bags on the stands and you'd also need to stretch it pretty good, but it might be possible.

That's asking for trouble. I don't think you would ever get it flat without some kind of rigid support at the top. That's what the roll provides with regular use of paper.

I'm going to give away a big secret here, something I've been working on, but you should look into placing a smaller rod/pole inside two larger diameter pipes. Read: two seven foot pipes with a nice solid connection between and inside the two. Depending on the strength of the join and the length of the span, you might need to rig up a center support.

Oh yeah, have you checked out the location yet? Something tells me you could figure out something easier.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

sponsored links
nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
5,473 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

Sep 18, 2014 10:35 |  #17

The Loft Studios wrote in post #17152257 (external link)
For those of you suggesting or thinking of hanging Background "Paper" long wise (either with tape or clamps), how do you propose to do so when the longest Background CossBar that is made is 12 feet…..

Use something that's not an Officially Licensed Professional Photographic Background Crossbar (tm).

In addition to the rings I linked above, I have a few different IKEA curtain rods that work well as crossbars, and can be joined together as mentioned above by he's gone: two "outer" poles with one "inner" pole to join them. Boom, a 16-foot crossbar. Three outer poles and two inner poles, and I got a 24-foot crossbar.

It will, of course, need one or more center support poles in addition to the end poles. And some heavy sandbags to keep it all in place and sturdy.

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,003 posts
Joined Dec 2006

Sep 18, 2014 10:41 |  #18

The Loft Studios wrote in post #17152257 (external link)
For those of you suggesting or thinking of hanging Background "Paper" long wise (either with tape or clamps), how do you propose to do so when the longest Background CossBar that is made is 12 feet…..

You can make a longer crossbar out of electrical conduit joined together. If you go longer than 2 8ft sections you would likely get a bit of bowing unless you reinforce it.

jodianne
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined May 2018

May 09, 2018 07:48 as a reply to  @ post 17150085 |  #19

What did you do to get the seam between the wall and the floor to look seamless?

nathancarter
Cream of the Crop
5,473 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

May 09, 2018 10:10 |  #20

jodianne wrote in post #18622496 (external link)
What did you do to get the seam between the wall and the floor to look seamless?

If you overlap the back edge of the floor over the bottom edge of the sweep, it will look practically seamless to the camera, especially when disguised by the texture and variable-color of the fabric itself, and especially when shot from far away at a relatively low angle.

http://www.avidchick.c​om (external link) for business stuff
http://www.facebook.co​m/VictorVoyeur (external link) for fun stuff

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
12,766 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2004
Post edited 3 months ago by RDKirk.

May 09, 2018 10:32 |  #21

Well, this is a zombie thread, but for a dance group today I'd look hard at the new aesthetic popularized by Annie Leibowitz (although Irving Penn did it first), which would eschew a uniform background in favor of a natural (but deliberately boring) background with loosely and casually posed subjects. For a dance group, "casual" poses would be variations of dance positions.

Google images: "irving penn group portrait"

Here is one of dancers:

https://www.pinterest.​co.uk/drew0905/irving-penn/ (external link)

tcphoto1
Goldmember
1,112 posts
Gallery: 13 photos
Joined Sep 2005

May 09, 2018 16:05 |  #22

Leave it to the new member to revive a four year old thread. It happens all the time on car forums I frequent. At least they didn't start a new thread asking the same question...I guess.

www.tonyclarkphoto.com (external link)
www.tcphoto.org (external link)

jodianne
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined May 2018
Post edited 3 months ago by jodianne. (2 edits in all)

May 10, 2018 07:16 as a reply to  @ tcphoto1's post |  #23

I Googled a question, I saw it talked about here, took a chance to asked a quick question. No one needed to take the time to respond, but someone was nice enough to just quick answer my question. You obviously have nothing else to do than to read my question and respond with a rude comment. Thanks the nice person who already responded and answered my question without a problem.

owenegan
276 posts
Joined Dec 2015

May 12, 2018 02:05 as a reply to  @ jodianne's post |  #24

For what it's worth, I check this forum every day or two and scan for new messages, and I leaned new information due to your asking your question. So, thanks for asking it.

I can't imagine why anyone would care whether a thread is a "zombie" or not. It's not as if the information here has been rendered obsolete due to recent technical leaps in spring clamps, electrical conduit and muslin.

Owen.

sponsored links

9,173 views & 5 likes for this thread
Background for larger group photos in studio setting?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.