Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 05 May 2018 (Saturday) 15:18
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What I dislike the most about the 6D Mark-2

RPCrowe
Cream of the Crop
7,957 posts
Joined Nov 2005

May 05, 2018 15:18 |  #1

Don't get me wrong, I do like this camera. But, what I dislike the most about it is not the lack of 4K video (which I don't need) nor the fairly limited dynamic range (which I can work around), nor is it the high price of the 6D Mark 2 that bothers me (I got this camera at a really good price including a rebate, a Canon Pixma Pro 100 printer, an OEM battery pack (which I love using), a 64 GB SD card and a 50 sheet pack of canon inkjet paper).

What I don't like is that the autofocus was borrowed from the 80D. It was fine on the 80D, which is a crop sensor but, the focus points of the 6D2 are squeezed into the center of the frame.

Just focus and recompose you say:rolleyes: Fine for portraiture or when shooting objects which are not moving around. For moving subjects, servo-AF is needed and with servo AF, you cannot focus and recompose.

I have just shot some Mexican dancers who were involved in some very lively dancing. I was shooting in the portrait (vertical) position and the highest focus point I could achieve was on the dancer's chests. I want the dancer's face in focus not her chest. I was shooting with a rather large aperture in order to separate the dancer from the background.

I am thinking that I could possibly use live view with face detection but, in a situation when there is bright sun shining over my shoulder, I would need to use my Hoodman loupe in order to see image on my LCD. That would negate the advantage of touch screen.

Can any of you suggest a way to shoot this and have my focus nailed on the dancer's face (preferably in her eyes!)?????

See my images at http://rpcrowe.smugmug​.com/ (external link)

sponsored links
mwsilver
Goldmember
3,750 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Oct 2011

May 05, 2018 17:05 |  #2

RPCrowe wrote in post #18620092 (external link)
Don't get me wrong, I do like this camera. But, what I dislike the most about it is not the lack of 4K video (which I don't need) nor the fairly limited dynamic range (which I can work around), nor is it the high price of the 6D Mark 2 that bothers me (I got this camera at a really good price including a rebate, a Canon Pixma Pro 100 printer, an OEM battery pack (which I love using), a 64 GB SD card and a 50 sheet pack of canon inkjet paper).

What I don't like is that the autofocus was borrowed from the 80D. It was fine on the 80D, which is a crop sensor but, the focus points of the 6D2 are squeezed into the center of the frame.

Just focus and recompose you say:rolleyes: Fine for portraiture or when shooting objects which are not moving around. For moving subjects, servo-AF is needed and with servo AF, you cannot focus and recompose.

I have just shot some Mexican dancers who were involved in some very lively dancing. I was shooting in the portrait (vertical) position and the highest focus point I could achieve was on the dancer's chests. I want the dancer's face in focus not her chest. I was shooting with a rather large aperture in order to separate the dancer from the background.

I am thinking that I could possibly use live view with face detection but, in a situation when there is bright sun shining over my shoulder, I would need to use my Hoodman loupe in order to see image on my LCD. That would negate the advantage of touch screen.

Can any of you suggest a way to shoot this and have my focus nailed on the dancer's face (preferably in her eyes!)?????

From the very beginning, the two biggest criticisms of this camera at its price point were the dynamic range and the focal points being bunched together towards the center of the frame. Those two factors have been repeated over and over again ad nauseam since the camera first came out. I had been thinking about purchasing this camera myself, but decided to hold off. I'm curious what the deciding factors to getting this camera were, other than cost, given your concern about the focal point spread.

Mark
Canon 7D2, 60D, T3i, T2i, Sigma 18-35 f/1.8, 30 f/1.4. Canon EF 70-200 L f/4 IS, EF 35 f/2 IS, EFs 10-18 STM, EFs 15-85, EFs 18-200, EF 50 f/1.8 STM, Tamron 18-270 PZD, B+W MRC CPL, Canon 320EX, Vanguard Alta Pro 254CT & SBH 250 head. RODE Stereo Videomic Pro, DXO PhotoLab, Elements 15

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
33,555 posts
Gallery: 79 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

May 05, 2018 20:51 |  #3

Shoot wider and crop later, that is the only real choice I thin.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

RPCrowe
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
7,957 posts
Joined Nov 2005

May 05, 2018 23:30 |  #4

I put on my Hoodman Loupe securing it with the elastic ties which I received as a bonus when I purchased the Hoodman.

I placed my wife about 30 feet away and had the 6D2 on live view face detection. I used a 70-200mm f/4L IS lens at a focal length of 180mm and an aperture of f/4.

The face detection picked up my wife's face immediately and it followed focus for 16 shots, while she walked towards me a a fast clip. The camera/lens followed focus on my wife's face from the first shot (over a full length view) through 16 exposures o the last shot which was a tight head and shoulders. It nailed the focus on every shot.

The focus points on the last shots were beyond the focus point array area.

I can see that along with my Hoodman Loupe secured by the OEM elastic loop (a loupe loop :p) this is going to be one of my favorite ways to shoot people... I just wish it worked that easily with dogs. However in order to initiate the focus following on dogs, I have to first touch the dog's face on the touchscreen LCD.

Dlee13
Goldmember
3,128 posts
Gallery: 397 photos
Joined Apr 2012
Post edited 2 months ago by Dlee13.

May 12, 2018 04:00 |  #5

I was somewhat disappointed with the AF point spread but there's always Live View if you need to focus on something outside that. As I've said before, some DSLR's have a wider AF spread but still don't have the same coverage as a Mirrorless camera which is one of the reasons I switched.

Sony Alpha A7III ~ Canon EOS M5 ~ Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 ~ Canon EF 35mm f2 IS
Canon EF 16-35mm f4L IS ~ Canon EF 100mm f2.8L IS USM ~
Sigma MC-11 ~ Sony FE 85mm f/1.8 ~ Sigma 35mm f/1.4 Art

Blog (external link) | Flickr (external link) | 500px (external link)

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
11,823 posts
Joined Nov 2007

May 12, 2018 09:56 |  #6

The spread is mainly important when tracing moving subjects while using Servo AF. That's nothing you do when using live view.
But for handover between AF points, they shouldn't be too far apart either.

Anders

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
12,154 posts
Gallery: 140 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

May 18, 2018 10:17 |  #7

apersson850 wrote in post #18624429 (external link)
The spread is mainly important when tracing moving subjects while using Servo AF. That's nothing you do when using live view.

Yeah, I completely agree.

I don't see how live view focusing could be helpful when you're at 600 or 800mm trying to track a bird in flight, or a deer on the run - and these are exactly the kinds of situations in which we need focus points that are spread out far away from the center. . When things are more or less stationary you can just focus and recompose as needed, so the lack of AF point coverage isn't really an issue in those situations. . It only becomes an issue when things are on the move.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
11,823 posts
Joined Nov 2007
Post edited 2 months ago by apersson850.

May 18, 2018 16:14 |  #8

Then you don't want the points too far away either, since then handover from one point to another, when the subject moves sideways in the frame, doesn't work well. The nine-point diamond shaped AF point pattern in cameras like the 40D didn't work well from that perspective.

Anders

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
12,154 posts
Gallery: 140 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

May 18, 2018 19:04 |  #9

apersson850 wrote in post #18628045 (external link)
Then you don't want the points too far away either, since then handover from one point to another, when the subject moves sideways in the frame, doesn't work well.

For the way I shoot, selecting single points manually and only having one point active at any given time, that hasn't been too much of a problem. . It's not like I'm allowing the camera to shift points on its own as a subject moves across the frame. . If I did that, then yeah, the distance between the points would become an issue. . But most people who actively use follow focus in AI Servo are just using one point at a time, anyway, and they are selecting that point manually.

The nine-point diamond shaped AF point pattern in cameras like the 7D didn't work well from that perspective.

The problem with most of those diamond-shaped patterns is that there usually isn't a focus point right at the "power point", which is wher ethe horizontal axis and vertical axis intersect in a classic rule of thirds compositional layout.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
11,823 posts
Joined Nov 2007

May 19, 2018 16:11 |  #10

I very frequently use more than one point active for action shots. It gives me the opportunity to modify the composition whilst tracking the subject, and also gives the camera some leeway in where it can focus, as sometimes the subjects happen to not have any useful contrast exactly where I am aiming.
So I appreciate a decent spread of the AF points, but also that they aren't too far apart, so the camera can allow some roaming across the points.

Anders

Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
7,907 posts
Joined Oct 2015

May 19, 2018 17:34 |  #11

Then you don't want the points too far away either, since then handover from one point to another, when the subject moves sideways in the frame, doesn't work well. The nine-point diamond shaped AF point pattern in cameras like the 7D didn't work well from that perspective.

The 7D didn't have a 9-point diamond system. It had a 19-point AF system. And the 7D was a huge performer for its day.

Tom

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
11,823 posts
Joined Nov 2007

May 20, 2018 03:10 as a reply to  @ Bassat's post |  #12

Sorry, I was thinking 40D but wrote 7D. Yes, the 7D was much better. But notice that there was no extended coverage in the 7D, compared to the 40D/50D. They added ten focus points, but all of them inside the perimeter of the nine-point diamond.
The 7D was my first camera where focus point handover actually worked. But it's much better at tracking the right thing in the 1DX/1DX Mark II, with their high resolution, and more intelligent, light meters supporting the AF.

Anders

RPCrowe
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
7,957 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Jun 25, 2018 12:41 |  #13

Actually, when using eye level focusing, my 7D was superior to my 6D2. When considering eye level focusing capabilities, my 7D2 absolutely blows the 6D2 out of the water.

OTOH: when using live view, the dual pixel focusing of the 6D2 is absolutely great!

HOWEVER... and this is a darn big HOWEVER; it is very difficult for me to use live view outdoors in bright sun.

I have a Hoodman Loupe which helps when using live view but, that system negates the touch screen focusing capability of the 6D2 because the Hoodman Loupe covers the LCD and even with the elastic band system of mounting the Hoodman Loupe, it is not all that secure on the camera. I have just received a Swivi S3 viewing system which I think will solve the bright sun viewing problems and since the Swivi S3 can swivel away from the LCD and it is securely mounted on the camera. I can use the touch screen in somewhat an abbreviated fashion however, the Swivi makes the camera a very large setup.

IMO, a great compromise is what the have on the mirrorless Canon M-50 in which you can use live view with touch screen focus AND view through the electronic viewfinder.

OTOH: I really love the 6D2 touch screen focus when I am shooting multiple images for focus stacking.

Additionally... A German photographer, Dirkson, shoots his people portraits outdoors using live view and face detect. He told me that he has no problems with getting the eyes in focus with the face detect system. With the Dual Pixel Autofocus, virtually the entire LCD screen is available for focusing rather than just the abbreviated AF array available when using eye level focusing.
https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=y4Y6f-p-xxo&t=74s (external link)

I have to try this system and will update this thread regarding my results...

sponsored links

1,544 views & 2 likes for this thread
What I dislike the most about the 6D Mark-2
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.