Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 13 May 2018 (Sunday) 16:49
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon EOS 7D Mk II - File Naming Oddities

harcosparky
Goldmember
2,406 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2010

May 13, 2018 16:49 |  #1

QUESTION: On a 7D Mk II I have had the opportunity, something has come up related to files names.

Now as best can tell all camera settings were pretty much identicle, that are not related to f/stop, ISO, and shutter speed.

However I am coming up with different names, kind of.

In looking at metadata for the two files the only difference I can tell is in "sharing & permissions "

Here are the two names .......

4V0A0293.CR2
_V0A0303.CR2

Can anyone tell me what is going on? Might there be a problem with the camera body itself?

THANKS

sponsored links
harcosparky
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,406 posts
Joined Mar 2010

May 13, 2018 16:53 |  #2

Screen Shots from each files " Get Info "

IMAGE: https://farm1.staticflickr.com/944/42045389682_f7276b39c3_b.jpg
IMAGE: https://farm1.staticflickr.com/909/42045389072_ec9588aab8_b.jpg

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
7,697 posts
Gallery: 526 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

May 13, 2018 19:13 |  #3

The underscore used in the filename was done if you shoot using the AdobeRGB colour space. This applies to RAW since the settings used are based on the underlying default conversion. This is actually a requirement of one of the image file standards although I forget which one. If you are shooting RAW then it doesn't matter which colour space you use, it's not baked into the file until you do the conversion anyway, so just use sRGB to avoid the underscore being used.

More modern cameras also seem to come with the initial characters of the filename set to a random string. If these are different cameras it may just well be that the default random string happens to start with an _. If so just change the filename string in the camera settings.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

harcosparky
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,406 posts
Joined Mar 2010

May 13, 2018 19:15 |  #4

UODATE:

I understand the naming protocol is related to colorspace selection.

Adobe RGB will give you the underscore at the beginning.

However this dosen't explain the random name switching UNLESS ..... changing operation modes between like "P",

harcosparky
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,406 posts
Joined Mar 2010

May 13, 2018 19:18 |  #5

BigAl007 wrote in post #18625216 (external link)
The underscore used in the filename was done if you shoot using the AdobeRGB colour space. This applies to RAW since the settings used are based on the underlying default conversion. This is actually a requirement of one of the image file standards although I forget which one. If you are shooting RAW then it doesn't matter which colour space you use, it's not baked into the file until you do the conversion anyway, so just use sRGB to avoid the underscore being used.

More modern cameras also seem to come with the initial characters of the filename set to a random string. If these are different cameras it may just well be that the default random string happens to start with an _. If so just change the filename string in the camera settings.

Alan

Thanks .... yeah I only shoot in RAW and have reset it to not be on AdobeRGB.
I'll shoot a dozen or so pics in different modes and check filenames.

It was in AdobeRGB, so I was expecting the underscore in front of all file names ..... but that's not what I got.

BigAl007
Cream of the Crop
7,697 posts
Gallery: 526 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2010

May 13, 2018 19:19 |  #6

Did you use a C1/2 setting for one of them? With AdobeRGB set for the image shot with the custom settings? That would account for apparently random changes of colour space.

Alan

My Flickr (external link)
My new Aviation images blog site (external link)

harcosparky
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,406 posts
Joined Mar 2010

May 14, 2018 05:26 |  #7

BigAl007 wrote in post #18625221 (external link)
Did you use a C1/2 setting for one of them? With AdobeRGB set for the image shot with the custom settings? That would account for apparently random changes of colour space.

Alan

To my knowledge I did not use any custom setting at all.

Look more into this I found two images ..... same subject, consecutive shots.

The only known difference to me is on one shot it was natural/available light, and on the second I popped up the built in flash.

Does engaging the built in flash do something to cause this?

IMAGE: https://farm1.staticflickr.com/906/42056664872_42c70878f8_b.jpg

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
7,939 posts
Joined May 2003
Post edited 1 month ago by John from PA.

May 14, 2018 07:52 |  #8

You're not the only one to report the issue. See https://www.dpreview.c​om/forums/thread/40465​26 (external link) which unfortunately does not offer any insight to the problem.

Personally I'd try flashing the firmware, even if up to date. Sometimes strange things are corrected by a firmware reflash.

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
48,384 posts
Gallery: 84 photos
Joined Apr 2003

May 14, 2018 11:03 |  #9

harcosparky wrote in post #18625218 (external link)

However this dosen't explain the random name switching UNLESS ..... changing operation modes between like "P",

That could do it. There are modes in which certain file options are not available. There are even modes where you can't shoot raw.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
11,803 posts
Joined Nov 2007

May 14, 2018 14:51 |  #10

Normally, selecting a pre-programmed mode, like portrait or sport, or (god forbid) the green box mode, many options are cancelled. Using Adobe RGB is frequently one of them.
Older cameras couldn't shoot RAW either in these modes, as Jake pointed out, but the 7D Mark II probably can. It's fairly new.

Anders

harcosparky
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,406 posts
Joined Mar 2010

May 14, 2018 17:29 |  #11

CyberDyneSystems wrote in post #18625522 (external link)
That could do it. There are modes in which certain file options are not available. There are even modes where you can't shoot raw.

Well I have shot down that idea ....... took a pic of a scene, in all modes and file name prefixes were all the same.

harcosparky
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,406 posts
Joined Mar 2010

May 14, 2018 17:31 |  #12

apersson850 wrote in post #18625651 (external link)
Normally, selecting a pre-programmed mode, like portrait or sport, or (god forbid) the green box mode, many options are cancelled. Using Adobe RGB is frequently one of them.
Older cameras couldn't shoot RAW either in these modes, as Jake pointed out, but the 7D Mark II probably can. It's fairly new.

Today I shot the same scene in 5 different modes ....... all file names have the same prefix.

Look at my post above about two images of the same scene ..... different file names ..... and the ONLY DIFFERENCE between the two was in one image I used the built-in flash.

Hmmmm

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
48,384 posts
Gallery: 84 photos
Joined Apr 2003

May 14, 2018 21:38 |  #13

Truly weird.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
11,803 posts
Joined Nov 2007

May 15, 2018 06:40 |  #14

Does this imply that you popped up the flash manually? It wasn't a mode where it deploys automatically?

I don't have any 7D Mark II, so I can't repeat the procedure to see if I get the same result.

Anders

RodS57
668 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Jun 2014

May 15, 2018 10:33 |  #15

I currently have my flash set to manual operation. It will not pop up automatically. WIth the flash in auto or off I have never seen file name changes as illustrated in your posts.

This is with a 7D2.

Rod

>>> Pictures? What pictures? <<<<

sponsored links

801 views & 0 likes for this thread
Canon EOS 7D Mk II - File Naming Oddities
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.