Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera 
Thread started 10 May 2018 (Thursday) 13:36
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon 7D Mark II vs Canon 6D Mark II Focus Points

RPCrowe
Cream of the Crop
8,009 posts
Joined Nov 2005

May 10, 2018 13:36 |  #1

I have both of these cameras and I love the 7D Mark 2 and just barely like the 6D Mark 2.

Why is that you ask?

Well my primary point of dislike for the 6D Mark 2 is the auto focus point array.

IMAGE: https://photos.smugmug.com/Photography/Photo-Equipment/i-wpph6CT/0/d95c6000/X3/focus%20array-X3.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://photos.smugmug​.com …s%20array-X3.jpg&lb=1&s=A  (external link) on Smugmug

Canon copied the 6D2 auto focus sensor array directly from the Canon 80D without apparently any thought that a sensor array good for a crop sensor camera, like the 80D, would be crammed into the center of a full frame camera.

IMO, the 6D2 is a PITA to shoot moving subjects with. Sure, for portraits you can focus and recompose using single shot AF. But when you are working with moving subjects, the focus/recompose system is really a big PITA. When I am shooting an athlete or a dancer, I want the face of the subject in focus. With the 7D2 and using the nine point array at center top of the frame (in either portrait or landscape configuration) it is very easy, using Servo AF, to nail focus on the face of the subject. Using the 6D2 in a decent composition, the highest focus point will nail the focus on the subject's chest.

What a PITA. There are several attributes that I like about the 6D2. Otherwise, I'd be very tempted to dump that camera at the soonest possible momentvmad

See my images at http://rpcrowe.smugmug​.com/ (external link)

sponsored links
Ah-keong
933 posts
Gallery: 69 photos
Joined Apr 2016

May 10, 2018 22:39 |  #2

the majority of the AF sensing squares for Full Frame (6D, 5D, 1DX) are cramped in the middle compared to the cropped bodies (7D, 80D, etc)

one way is to use the dual pixel AF but it would slow down the frame rates....  :p

Canon 7D2+grip | 18-35mm ART | EF-S 10-18mm | EF 70-200mm f/2,8L IS II | ZE 2/100mm | ZE 2/35mm | ZE 1,4/85mm | CV 3,5/20mm |
Olympus E-PL3 | 7-14mm f/2,8 |
Speedlite 430EX III-RT | 600EX-RT | YN 600EX-RT |
Manfrotto BeFree Travel Tripod |

fordmondeo
Goldmember
1,080 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Sep 2007

May 11, 2018 00:05 |  #3

Did you not notice the af point layout before you bought the camera?

That said, I think all canon cameras have a problem with AF points. I always find myself wanting one between the three main zones.

Vaginator9000

Choderboy
I Chimp, therefore I am
5,485 posts
Gallery: 100 photos
Joined Jul 2005

May 13, 2018 04:52 |  #4

It was the 2nd most mentioned dislike of the 6D2 when released / reviewed.

Have you seen the Nikon D500 AF point spread? It's so wide there's no room for any more points on the sides.

Dave
Image editing OK

saea501
... spilled over a little on the panties
6,563 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2010

May 13, 2018 05:39 |  #5

It's interesting to me how so many buy a camera then spend so much time talking about how much they hate it.

Remember what the DorMouse said.....feed your head.
Bob
https://www.flickr.com …282@N06/with/38​203470844/ (external link)

john ­ crossley
Goldmember
2,405 posts
Joined Nov 2009

May 13, 2018 05:44 |  #6

RPCrowe wrote in post #18623255 (external link)
I have both of these cameras and I love the 7D Mark 2 and just barely like the 6D Mark 2.

Why is that you ask?

Well my primary point of dislike for the 6D Mark 2 is the auto focus point array.

QUOTED IMAGE
IMAGE LINK: https://photos.smugmug​.com …s%20array-X3.jpg&lb=1&s=A  (external link) on Smugmug

Canon copied the 6D2 auto focus sensor array directly from the Canon 80D without apparently any thought that a sensor array good for a crop sensor camera, like the 80D, would be crammed into the center of a full frame camera.

IMO, the 6D2 is a PITA to shoot moving subjects with. Sure, for portraits you can focus and recompose using single shot AF. But when you are working with moving subjects, the focus/recompose system is really a big PITA. When I am shooting an athlete or a dancer, I want the face of the subject in focus. With the 7D2 and using the nine point array at center top of the frame (in either portrait or landscape configuration) it is very easy, using Servo AF, to nail focus on the face of the subject. Using the 6D2 in a decent composition, the highest focus point will nail the focus on the subject's chest.

What a PITA. There are several attributes that I like about the 6D2. Otherwise, I'd be very tempted to dump that camera at the soonest possible momentvmad

Have you mentioned any of this to Canon?

Some days I'm the dog, some days I'm the lamppost.

Mathmans
261 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Apr 2014

May 14, 2018 02:12 as a reply to  @ john crossley's post |  #7

'' Have you seen the Nikon D500 AF point spread? It's so wide there's no room for any more points on the sides. ‘’

Yes I did, BUT that’s the only Nikon camera (besides D5 and D850) with a new AF module. All the other Nikon cameras still have this old ‘’D300 type’’ focusing module with only 15 cross-type focusing points. All the other points are linear and in lots of situations they just won’t lock reliably or they will just hunt forewer.
Somehow I feel Nikon will put this new AF module only in high end models and all the other DSLRs in my price range will still have this old, only 15 cross-type modules.

My photos:
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/149610703@N05/ (external link)

RPCrowe
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
8,009 posts
Joined Nov 2005
Post edited 9 months ago by RPCrowe.

May 14, 2018 12:17 |  #8

john crossley wrote in post #18624845 (external link)
Have you mentioned any of this to Canon?

Sure I have! I emailed my feelings to Mrs. Tanaka. In case you don't know who she is, that is the lady who is in charge of keeping the restrooms clean at the Canon H.Q. her secondary task is director of research and development for Canon.

She was also directly responsible for introducing the 270EX flash without a slave capacity and then soon afterward introducing the 270EX II with slave capability. That significantly reduced the prices of used 270EX flashes. Good for some folks but, not good for others.

Like I said, the 6D2 has some really nice points. I love the dual pixel live view for video and the in-camera video image stabilization is also pretty darn nice. I love using the Canon 35mm f/2.0 IS lens hand held for video with the in-camera video stabilization on. The video snapshot is also a nice idea because I am often asked for a quick video of a rescue dog I am fostering. With that video snapshot capability, I can have a short completed video right out of the camera ready to send to the requester.

I absolutely LOVE the articulating LSD with touch control. That makes it really easy to shoot sequences for focus merging.

Also, the price of this camera was pretty nice... I got it brand new along with a Canon battery grip, a Canon Pixma 100 printer, a package of 50 13x19' Canon Semi-Gloss Ink Jet Paper and a 64GB San Disk Extreme SD card for $1,300.

harcosparky
Goldmember
2,414 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Mar 2010
Post edited 9 months ago by harcosparky.

May 18, 2018 11:00 |  #9

saea501 wrote in post #18624844 (external link)
It's interesting to me how so many buy a camera then spend so much time talking about how much they hate it.

I agree with your sentiment, and I can tell you this phenomenon is not restricted to photography.

However I will add that I recently acquired a new camera body and the contenders were the 6D2 and the 7D2.

Did not need another full frame body, so it was the 7D2 that went to the Caribbean with us, and it will be the 7D2 that returns to the Caribbean with us later this year and a couple of times next year!

EDIT: One of the first things I noticed when I picked up the 6D2 was the focal point array, that was but one of the factors that pushed me to the 7D2.

Chet
my rates fluctuate
43,137 posts
Gallery: 130 photos
Joined Sep 2007

May 18, 2018 11:12 |  #10

RPCrowe wrote in post #18625561 (external link)
Also, the price of this camera was pretty nice... I got it brand new along with a Canon battery grip, a Canon Pixma 100 printer, a package of 50 13x19' Canon Semi-Gloss Ink Jet Paper and a 64GB San Disk Extreme SD card for $1,300.

I almost bit on this. Actually a great deal.

Curator of the Bob's Pickle Emporium experience. -As always, One location to serve you better!
~Feel good today and donate to this great forum~ LINK
My Gear List

RPCrowe
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
8,009 posts
Joined Nov 2005

May 20, 2018 12:07 |  #11

Chet wrote in post #18627894 (external link)
I almost bit on this. Actually a great deal.

It was actually at the price of $1,600 with a $300 gift card which reduced the price to $1,300.

Still, a pretty good price for camera, grip, SD card. printer and paper.

I don't use rear button focus so I configured the camera so that when the rear "focus on" button is pressed, the AF Servo stops focusing. That way, I can still focus and recompose even when I am using AF Servo as my AF choice...

aezoss
433 posts
Gallery: 67 photos
Joined Nov 2013

May 27, 2018 17:47 |  #12

harcosparky wrote in post #18627889 (external link)
it was the 7D2 that went to the Caribbean with us, and it will be the 7D2 that returns to the Caribbean with us later this year and a couple of times next year!

Which lens(es) accompanied your 7D2?

Trique ­ Daddi
Goldmember
1,082 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Feb 2007

May 27, 2018 22:10 as a reply to  @ aezoss's post |  #13

I love my 7DMKII but miss the meter in the bottom of the viewfinder that the 7D had. I have adjusted to it not being there but it was a nice tool to have.

Canon 7DMKII,7D 40D, 20D, CANON 100-400mm IS 4.5/5.6L, Canon 70-200mm 2.8L, Canon 50mm 1.8, Canon 100mm 2.8 macro, Kenko Extension Tubes, Sigma 17-50mm F2.8 EX DC OS, 580EX II Flash,Gittos MH 5580 monopod, Thinktank Airport Takeoff.

sponsored links

1,223 views & 6 likes for this thread
Canon 7D Mark II vs Canon 6D Mark II Focus Points
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.