Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 09 Oct 2017 (Monday) 05:06
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Talk to me about the 6D as a wedding camera.

RPCrowe
Cream of the Crop
8,009 posts
Joined Nov 2005
Post edited 9 months ago by RPCrowe.

May 06, 2018 15:51 as a reply to  @ post 18609935 |  #31

Using the center point focus and recomposing requires you to use single point auto focus rather than servo AF. This puts the photographer at a slight disadvantage when shooting a moving subject.

OTOH we shot weddings and other events for years and years when there was no such thing as Servo AF...

I didn't need to do much focus/recompose when using my crop camera and got sloppy when shooting some test shots with my 6D2. I ended up focusing and recomposing in servo AF which, of course threw off my focus. Luckily, I learned from that and didn't make he same mistake again.

BTW: the focus points of the 6D2 are great but, they are jammed into the center of the frame because the A/F system was borrowed from the crop sensor 80D and not realigned for the full frame sensor of the 6D2...

See my images at http://rpcrowe.smugmug​.com/ (external link)

sponsored links
Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
9,250 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Jun 2011
Post edited 9 months ago by Left Handed Brisket.

May 06, 2018 16:09 as a reply to  @ RPCrowe's post |  #32

6D in Servo uses the center point to acquire initial focus and then all the focus points to maintain focus. Technically you can recompose a little as long as the subject doesn't go outside the outermost points.

In theory, that's how it works.

In practice, your results WILL vary. :D

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
7,398 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2007

May 15, 2018 15:51 |  #33

RPCrowe wrote in post #18620715 (external link)
Using the center point focus and recomposing requires you to use single point auto focus rather than servo AF. This puts the photographer at a slight disadvantage when shooting a moving subject.

OTOH we shot weddings and other events for years and years when there was no such thing as Servo AF...

I didn't need to do much focus/recompose when using my crop camera and got sloppy when shooting some test shots with my 6D2. I ended up focusing and recomposing in servo AF which, of course threw off my focus. Luckily, I learned from that and didn't make he same mistake again.

BTW: the focus points of the 6D2 are great but, they are jammed into the center of the frame because the A/F system was borrowed from the crop sensor 80D and not realigned for the full frame sensor of the 6D2...

I hate what they did with the 6DII release... I was shooting before Auto Focus so I am ok with the single point autofocus.

www.steelcityphotograp​hy.com (external link)

Nismode
Goldmember
1,807 posts
Joined Apr 2010

May 15, 2018 23:08 |  #34

Silver-Halide wrote in post #18608648 (external link)
Inexcusable to shoot a wedding in 2018 with a single card slot camera.

"Due diligence."

You're right, if that's your only camera...

If you have two cameras I don't see the issue. Or a backup system that works for you.

flickr (external link)|ModelMayhem (external link)|Instagram (external link)
EOS R|6D2|6D|EOS M5|Mavic Air|Mavic 2 Zoom
EF-M 22 f/2|EF-M 15-45 IS|Rokinon 12 f/2 (EF-M)
Σ12-24mm II|Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8|40mm f/2.8 STM|50mm f/1.8 STM|50mm f/1.4|85mm f/1.8|70-210 f/4|Σ150mm f/2.8 Macro
Godox AD-200 (x2)|V860 II (x2)|V350c

Silver-Halide
800 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2015

May 17, 2018 00:27 |  #35

Nismode wrote in post #18626526 (external link)
You're right, if that's your only camera...

If you have two cameras I don't see the issue. Or a backup system that works for you.

I'm ok with a 6D being a backup camera, assuming primary shooting is done with a dual card slot camera. Explain to me how having two single-card-slotted 6D's is going to save me in a lawsuit if the card in the 6D I'm shooting the first kiss with goes tango unicorn and those images are gone?

Echoes in Eternity LLC | Tucson and Southern Arizona Wedding Photographer (external link)

scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
7,398 posts
Joined Aug 2007

May 17, 2018 05:48 |  #36

Silver-Halide wrote in post #18627049 (external link)
I'm ok with a 6D being a backup camera, assuming primary shooting is done with a dual card slot camera. Explain to me how having two single-card-slotted 6D's is going to save me in a lawsuit if the card in the 6D I'm shooting the first kiss with goes tango unicorn and those images are gone?

If you have a solid contract, your contract could save you. Photographers miss the first kiss with dual card slots. The only time two cameras will not save your ass is family formals.

Personally I would not want to shoot a camera that does not have dual slots. Using two 6D's is a pretty good backup strategy.

RPCrowe
Cream of the Crop
8,009 posts
Joined Nov 2005

May 20, 2018 09:30 as a reply to  @ post 18608889 |  #37

I have shot hundreds of thousands of images using CF cards and have NEVER had a failure of one card. I had two Kingston 32 GB cards that were bad from the start but have never experienced a card go bad while shooting. That doesn't mean it cannot happen and I do realize that CF cards are a LOT more bombproof than are SD cards.

However, if you are shooting with a pair of cameras, the loss of one card would not completely blow your wedding. Especially if you use relatively small capacity cards.

For a photographer who cut his teeth using 120/220 film at 12-24 exposures, switching a memory card in the middle of shooting is no great problem.

So.. shooting with a pair of cameras and with smaller SD cards, like around 4-8 GB, the failure of one SD card would certainly not blow the coverage for the entire wedding...

And, I would expect that the chances of more than one card failing during a wedding is somewhat akin to the church being hit by a falling meteor. And we don't worry about that very much :p

See my images at http://rpcrowe.smugmug​.com/ (external link)

evolyllaphotography
63 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Dec 2016

May 31, 2018 15:55 |  #38

6D works great for me. Love the light weight.

Toronto Wedding Photographer | Evolylla Photography (external link)
follow me on Instagram (external link); follow me on Facebook (external link); Canon shooter

scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
7,398 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jun 01, 2018 06:37 |  #39

RPCrowe wrote in post #18628958 (external link)
I have shot hundreds of thousands of images using CF cards and have NEVER had a failure of one card. I had two Kingston 32 GB cards that were bad from the start but have never experienced a card go bad while shooting. That doesn't mean it cannot happen and I do realize that CF cards are a LOT more bombproof than are SD cards.

However, if you are shooting with a pair of cameras, the loss of one card would not completely blow your wedding. Especially if you use relatively small capacity cards.

For a photographer who cut his teeth using 120/220 film at 12-24 exposures, switching a memory card in the middle of shooting is no great problem.

So.. shooting with a pair of cameras and with smaller SD cards, like around 4-8 GB, the failure of one SD card would certainly not blow the coverage for the entire wedding...

And, I would expect that the chances of more than one card failing during a wedding is somewhat akin to the church being hit by a falling meteor. And we don't worry about that very much :p

I had a card fail on a 5dMII. So it can happen.. Fortunately, it was not a wedding thank goodness!!!! Remote but possible.

George ­ Zip
THREAD ­ STARTER
My neighbours are looking at me a bit strangely
1,386 posts
Gallery: 31 photos
Joined Aug 2015

Jun 01, 2018 19:00 |  #40

Thinking about this more now, My issue with shooting with one card is that the technology for dual cards has been out for a long time now.

Say you take all the precautions of small cards, constantly alternating cameras and so on and you end up missing a critical moment due to card failure. It is very hard to go to the couple and blame the technology. If they do a bit of digging and post their woes on social media, someone will pipe up and ask why was the photographer not using a camera with two slots.

I also suspect if you are charging professional fees and a failure occurred you would have problems in court should it go that far. Based on the fact that the technology exists and if it was not stipulated in your contract. I'm not sure, I am not a lawyer.

So anyway... I decided to bite the bullet and get a second 5d4 which I am very pleased I did.

I saw a case recently on Facebook where this poor woman was asking a photo group how to get her reception photos from her photographer. She was nice enough and just wanted her photos after waiting for months and months. Long long story short it seems there was a card failure and that was that. It could have been a number of other things but that seemed to be the case. Regardless the photographer responded by closing her FB accounts, closing down her site and email and seems to be in hiding. I now personally do not think it is worth the risk considering that it is a remote risk that can be avoided with the appropriate equipment.

George ­ Zip
THREAD ­ STARTER
My neighbours are looking at me a bit strangely
1,386 posts
Gallery: 31 photos
Joined Aug 2015

Jun 02, 2018 03:02 |  #41

George Zip wrote in post #18637418 (external link)
Thinking about this more now, My issue with shooting with one card is that the technology for dual cards has been out for a long time now.

Say you take all the precautions of small cards, constantly alternating cameras and so on and you end up missing a critical moment due to card failure. It is very hard to go to the couple and blame the technology. If they do a bit of digging and post their woes on social media, someone will pipe up and ask why was the photographer not using a camera with two slots.

I also suspect if you are charging professional fees and a failure occurred you would have problems in court should it go that far. Based on the fact that the technology exists and if it was not stipulated in your contract. I'm not sure, I am not a lawyer.

So anyway... I decided to bite the bullet and get a second 5d4 which I am very pleased I did.

I saw a case recently on Facebook where this poor woman was asking a photo group how to get her reception photos from her photographer. She was nice enough and just wanted her photos after waiting for months and months. Long long story short it seems there was a card failure and that was that. It could have been a number of other things but that seemed to be the case. Regardless the photographer responded by closing her FB accounts, closing down her site and email and seems to be in hiding. I now personally do not think it is worth the risk considering that it is a remote risk that can be avoided with the appropriate equipment.

Apologies for repeating myself. I just read back over the thread.

Marm ­ O. ­ Set
Goldmember
2,084 posts
Joined Dec 2011
Post edited 8 months ago by Marm O. Set.

Jun 02, 2018 06:49 |  #42

Silver-Halide wrote in post #18608648 (external link)
Inexcusable to shoot a wedding in 2018 with a single card slot camera.

"Due diligence."

This is the first thing I thought when I read the title of the thread.
All my cameras I use for weddings have dual slots.

Its not that I wouldn't use a single slot camera but I surely wouldn't use it for important irreplaceable moments in time like first look, vows, first kiss, bouquet, garter, stuff like that. I'd loosen up on this mentality for things like the reception or other less-highlight events or for second shooters.

I have had a few cards fail. Two Transcend brand and most recently a SanDisk Extreme Pro (?!?!) 128gb. SanDisk is sending me a replacement for free since the Extreme Pro has a 30 year warranty. Not bad! I'm just glad it didn't die during a wedding or one of my other paid gigs. It did give me a few glitched frames during a b-roll filming session in a machine shop but I was able to work around that. CF cards fail; cheap cards and expensive cards can both fail. SD cards fail. Its a game of odds but there is always the chance.

Long story short, dual card slots has saved me a couple times and I wouldn't consider doing a "big job" (wedding or similar) without dual slots. Its just not worth the risk for me. And if you have the money I would strongly advise that you consider this as well. It's not a must, its just good work practice.

Nismode
Goldmember
1,807 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jun 02, 2018 09:13 |  #43

Does the 5D Mark 3 or the 5D Mark 4 allow you to do a record to both cards when filming?

flickr (external link)|ModelMayhem (external link)|Instagram (external link)
EOS R|6D2|6D|EOS M5|Mavic Air|Mavic 2 Zoom
EF-M 22 f/2|EF-M 15-45 IS|Rokinon 12 f/2 (EF-M)
Σ12-24mm II|Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8|40mm f/2.8 STM|50mm f/1.8 STM|50mm f/1.4|85mm f/1.8|70-210 f/4|Σ150mm f/2.8 Macro
Godox AD-200 (x2)|V860 II (x2)|V350c

rjharris
936 posts
Gallery: 68 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Mar 2010

Jun 02, 2018 11:57 |  #44

I haven't shot but only 1 wedding (for my brother) but I wouldn't hesitate to use a single card camera. From my perspective I'm way more likely to throw a card in my slacks and then into the washing machine than to lose the information on it (never had a card go bad but lost 1 and washed a couple). JMHO though so take it with a grain of salt.

Marm ­ O. ­ Set
Goldmember
2,084 posts
Joined Dec 2011

Jun 02, 2018 16:46 as a reply to  @ Nismode's post |  #45

Unfortunately, there are no Canon DSLRs that record video simultaneously to multiple slots. This is one of the big reasons (there are several others) I bit the bullet and bought the EOS C200.

sponsored links

17,486 views & 50 likes for this thread
Talk to me about the 6D as a wedding camera.
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.