Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Nature & Landscapes 
Thread started 19 May 2018 (Saturday) 19:56
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Is the canon 14mm AF/2.8 worth it?

jhaywald
95 posts
Joined Mar 2018

May 19, 2018 19:56 |  #1

I'm looking to start doing landscapes AND maybe some crowded room shots. Is it worth the price tag? Annnnnnnnnd, GO!

sponsored links
paul3221
Goldmember
2,433 posts
Joined Apr 2010

May 20, 2018 09:43 |  #2

Wow. I just looked it up, and for me the answer is NO. I'm sure it's a great lens, but for <$300 you can get the Rokinon/Samyang 14mm 2.8, and it's a very sharp lens. It doesn't have AF, but at that wide of a lens, everything more than a foot or two away is in focus at F8 anyway. 14mm is a very wide lens, and as much as I love it, it has limited use for landscapes. If you're willing to spend that kind of money, I think you'd be better off with a 16-35mm. It gives you a lot more versatility when shooting.

Paul
Sony A7RII, 5DII, a bunch of lenses and lighting... Whatever gets the shot... ;-)a
www.PaulDekortPhotogra​phy.com (external link)
Facebook Photography Page (external link)
500px (external link)

RPCrowe
Cream of the Crop
8,009 posts
Joined Nov 2005
Post edited 9 months ago by RPCrowe. (2 edits in all)

May 20, 2018 10:11 as a reply to  @ paul3221's post |  #3

I agree with Paul...

Additionally, grabbing a UWA lens is a knee jerk reaction to selecting a lens for landscape shooting.

IMO, UWA lenses are specific tools and should not be used only to provide a wider angle of view. You need a prominent foreground image to effectively use a UWA lens in landscape shooting.

Otherwise, a pano that is shot with a longer focal length (especially with the camera in the vertical position) might be a better (and certainly less expensive) alternative...

BTW: you might look into the Tokina wide angle and UWA zoom lenses. They are built like tanks and provide very good image quality at a decent price point...

See my images at http://rpcrowe.smugmug​.com/ (external link)

jhaywald
THREAD ­ STARTER
95 posts
Joined Mar 2018

May 20, 2018 10:19 as a reply to  @ RPCrowe's post |  #4

Ok, so I've never shot with an UWA, but I have a few ideas for shots in crowded rooms, I can't imagine the manual focus would be any good for that? Thoughts?

If I was going to drop that kind of money, then I'd def want to use it on landscape and inside...not just one.

paul3221
Goldmember
2,433 posts
Joined Apr 2010

May 21, 2018 08:33 |  #5

jhaywald wrote in post #18628987 (external link)
Ok, so I've never shot with an UWA, but I have a few ideas for shots in crowded rooms, I can't imagine the manual focus would be any good for that? Thoughts?

If I was going to drop that kind of money, then I'd def want to use it on landscape and inside...not just one.

On a lens that wide, I can't imagine you needing auto focus. Even at F2.8, you can focus at 7.6 ft, and everything from 3.9 ft to infinity will be in focus. If you move up a couple stops to F5.6, everything from 2.5 feet to infinity will be in focus. Basically you should be able to set it and forget it... ;-)a

http://www.dofmaster.c​om/dofjs.html (external link)

Paul
Sony A7RII, 5DII, a bunch of lenses and lighting... Whatever gets the shot... ;-)a
www.PaulDekortPhotogra​phy.com (external link)
Facebook Photography Page (external link)
500px (external link)

daleg
658 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Aug 2013

May 25, 2018 08:51 as a reply to  @ paul3221's post |  #6

love the 14mm Rokinon.

by pre-focusing to the needed zone, I've never felt hampered by the lack of AF. depth of field is very deep.

this same DOF allows shooting from the hip with a hulking dslr. without focusing or composing - takes practice - but shooting in a crowd becomes an optical adventure.

fun lens. again, love it.

sponsored links

613 views & 0 likes for this thread
Is the canon 14mm AF/2.8 worth it?
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Nature & Landscapes 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.