Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk 
Thread started 18 Dec 2017 (Monday) 10:02
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

I'm ready for a new basketball body, still can't decide 7dII or 5dIII

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,546 posts
Gallery: 111 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited over 1 year ago by TeamSpeed.

Apr 10, 2018 21:28 |  #61

heat00 wrote in post #18604184 (external link)
finally pulled the trigger, got the 7dII (well it's on it's way anyways). I have another thread about this as they all now sell only with the wifi adapter for $400 more, unreal. I found a good online retailer that had a few left and was willing to sell body only , no stupid wifi adapter and I'm excited.

Teamspeed, I know we discussed this a lot before but no idea where those threads are, any quick tips for setup? we leave for Indy the day after camera arrive LOL so no time to play with it unfortunately:

so I gather so far:

ISO-Auto (nice to have this feature finally)
Anti flicker on
set the AF points for each orientation
wide open aperture 2.8
al servo
Case 2 or 4 I believe for basketball?
SS as high as I can go without underexposing and set the EV (I think that's what it's called) one click to the right?

anything else need to be set initially?

Thanks in advance for your advice (as always)

I run a custom case 4, I believe. I run the top slider to the left and the 2nd slider to the right. No need to worry about the bottom slider... Try going one less than the far ends, and adjust from there.

I run manual mode, shutter speed set to minimally 1/1250th, f2.8, and then auto ISO with EC + 1/3.

Shoot something gray or black at the court, and set your custom WB. Or you can set the temperature manually until you like the WB you are getting. This will save you time later.

You've got the rest!

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)
For Sale: Sigma USB Dock

sponsored links
heat00
THREAD ­ STARTER
348 posts
Joined Jan 2016

Apr 11, 2018 09:43 as a reply to  @ TeamSpeed's post |  #62

cool thanks a lot! I'm excited to see if my results come out better than before. I'm sure it will take some getting used to the new focus system with more points etc. should be fun.

heat00
THREAD ­ STARTER
348 posts
Joined Jan 2016

Apr 12, 2018 20:44 |  #63

got my 7dii today! arrived as promised and serial number checked out at Canon.
Started to play with it a little. I think I got all the settings right lol.
don't have much practice time tourney this weekend so I guess that'll be the practice.
so far it feels nice, so much better than the t3i... fps is amazing, AF points and setup is great, won't know much else until shooting.
thanks to you all again for all your advice and help

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,546 posts
Joined May 2002

Apr 12, 2018 21:19 |  #64

Congrats!

PDF link here for Canon 7D2 AF settings
http://learn.usa.canon​.com …os7dmk2_afGuide​book.shtml (external link)

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

heat00
THREAD ­ STARTER
348 posts
Joined Jan 2016

Apr 16, 2018 20:01 as a reply to  @ TeamSpeed's post |  #65

thank you sir.
got to use it a little this weekend...

there were a lot of distractions and people that I had to deal with but still got about 300 pics.

what I noticed the most improvement over was:

1. AF. didn't seem to "hunt" and make all kinds of noises while focusing. many more shots were in focus for sure.
2. FPS. This is awesome. no more 3.7, now 10. This made a big difference as well. got so many shots in one "layup" or "shot" as compared to before.
3. ISO. set it to Auto Iso and let it rip at 500 and 640 SS, seemed to shoot at lower ISO than before and I didn't have to reduce any noise at all.

granted this was a well lit facility, will see when I get back to worse gyms but overall felt very different and better than the t3i. the AF points and the ability to set in each orientation is very cool as well.

heat00
THREAD ­ STARTER
348 posts
Joined Jan 2016

Apr 16, 2018 20:01 |  #66

still have a lot to read and learn as I'm sure there are still settings that need some adjustment but that will come with time.

PNPhotography
802 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Sep 2007

May 20, 2018 16:10 |  #67

heat00 wrote in post #18605721 (external link)
got my 7dii today! arrived as promised and serial number checked out at Canon.
Started to play with it a little. I think I got all the settings right lol.
don't have much practice time tourney this weekend so I guess that'll be the practice.
so far it feels nice, so much better than the t3i... fps is amazing, AF points and setup is great, won't know much else until shooting.
thanks to you all again for all your advice and help

Congrats on the 7 DMKII, now get yourself a 85 f1.8 and that will allow you to lower your ISO a whole stop if you shoot at F2.Personally I don’t like to go over ISO 3200 on my 7DMKII.Good luck!

6D|7D|7DMKII|Nikon D750|Nikon 85 F1.8|Nikon D5500|G15| Gripped|300F4|35F2IS|8​5 F1.8|135L F2|200L F2.8|17-55 F2.8|70-200L F2.8 MKII|430EX|
https://www.facebook.c​om …2755174446/?ref​=bookmarks (external link)

heat00
THREAD ­ STARTER
348 posts
Joined Jan 2016

Jun 25, 2018 11:38 as a reply to  @ PNPhotography's post |  #68

Thanks for the tip, however at this moment I'm set with what I have. I don't have unlimited funds to keep buying... lol...
although I will say this, so far I am beyond pleased with the performance of the 7dII, at least compared to my t3i.
I am still using my sig 70-200 and my tamron 24-70 although at the last tournament I bascially only used the 70-200 as I had enough room behind the baskets.
we should have nationals next week and I get to mess with it some more....

Croasdail
making stuff up
7,549 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Apr 2005

Jul 04, 2018 10:23 |  #69

I'm a bit surprised by the advice here. The lens is not the problem. It is the abysmal lighting, so ISO performance is the biggest issue. It also largely depends on where you are shooting from. If you are up far enough up the stands that you need a 200mm lens, it is dubious that you will get many compelling shots from that angle regardless of kit. The key to good shots is location, and I get that in a MS or HS gym thats a challenge. But the lower the better, the closer to the baseline the better. As such - a 200mm is way over kill.

If the 7D mkIII really does have improved ISO performance - would go that way. The 5D in any variant is not a great fast focusing camera. It's focus area coverage is also not up to par with current cameras out there. If you are shooting static subjects - its great - focus - recompose - shoot. But that isn't what were talking about. And in the case you want to catch some video, it's codecs are up to current standards. Great camera for somethings.... sports.... not so much. In that past the 7D has been a great highend hobbiest camera. I've used one as a backup for years and its done fine.

I wish I knew more about your circumstances, what the gym is like, what locations you have. But typically when I've had to shoot in HS gyms I've done just fine with a 24-70 f2.8. If you are shooting cross court your just not going to get good separation. There are some really great Canon primes - like the 135 L that are light monsters and focus fast. I've also shot a 100 and an 85. But not 200.... If light weren't the issue a 24-105 is an ideal size.

Here's hoping the 7dmk III really does move the needle in ISO performance this time.

Mark
Its by knowing and mastering all the rules that you learn which ones you can break.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
37,546 posts
Joined May 2002

Jul 04, 2018 19:01 as a reply to  @ Croasdail's post |  #70

Suggestions were originally to move to better AF and ISO bodies. The 7d2 and 5d3 both fit that bill, as would the 6d2 other than the tightly packed AF area. The 1d4 is also a good suggestion.

Chris_71
49 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Aug 2018

Aug 16, 2018 17:57 as a reply to  @ post 18522285 |  #71

I shoot the 7D Mark II and the 5D Mark IV and the combo is amazing. Eventually I plan to upgrade the 7D Mark II to a 1DX Mark II but for now it gets the job done and the 1.6x crop helps in some cases.

NC Sports News Staff Photographer (external link)
Racing Media Outlet (external link)
See More, Shoot Less

heat00
THREAD ­ STARTER
348 posts
Joined Jan 2016

Aug 26, 2018 14:28 |  #72

have only shot a few tournaments, and now the season is over until High school ball starts...

hard to describe the circumstances as every game and tournament was held at different locations, many of them middle schools etc and lighting was different and terrible in all of them.

All I can say is that I'm glad I went with the 7DII (for my needs). remember I'm just dad grabbing some shots of my son and his teammates ... in no way am I professional or shooting for any other reason...

while I can't compare to these other models mentioned, nor am I really qualified to do so lol, I can compare real world results from my last body which was the t3i. the difference is night and day and so many t3i shots were lost because of 2 main things, out of focus and/or noisy/lighting issues. both are so much improved with the 7dII I am thrilled. I rarely have to do much if any lightroom work after in comparison. the only real main adjustments (again for my simple use) now is really cropping. I find that I don't really need to do any noise reduction or fixing of the exposure - lighten/darken adjustments like I did before. It's really a great improvement that has given me many more keeper shots and so much less time afterwards on LR.... While I understand the 7dII isn't going to give the same high ISO performance as a FF, it's 1000 times better than the t3I and the focus points and system seem to be so much better. I'm very pleased and hope the 7dII lasts until he's done playing ball lol...

the lenses I have seem to be focusing much better now and I must attribute that to the 7dII vs the t3I. while they aren't canon or prime, they do now seem to be acceptable enough. I have the sig 70-200 and the tamron 24-70... the biggest issue remaining with the lenses is that it still seems I need to have both and even switch sometimes mid game... I know it all depends on the spacing available but remember we aren't usually playing in much more than a HS gym at best... and some aren't great lol....

sponsored links

25,325 views & 22 likes for this thread
I'm ready for a new basketball body, still can't decide 7dII or 5dIII
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Sports Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.