Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 11 Jan 2011 (Tuesday) 14:25
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Show us your setup and the final result!

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
19,018 posts
Joined Nov 2007

May 19, 2018 23:24 |  #11221

MomentsCaptured wrote in post #18628693 (external link)
Awesome shot, albeit I'd underexpose the background by one stop though, no more :)

Agree, the strobe for some reason wouldn't go into HSS mode yesterday. And 1/125 max sync speed doesn't help much. I just found out today that it had the older firmware. My other XPLOR600 was working fine but was being used for a different setup. I just upgraded this strobe and now it is all fine.

5dmk3, 35L, 85L II, 300mm f2.8 IS I, 400mm f5.6
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, 50-140mm f2.8

sponsored links
Osa713
Goldmember
1,219 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Joined Jun 2011

May 19, 2018 23:29 as a reply to  @ bobbyz's post |  #11222

Bobby what version were you running? I think I had they same problem last week.

LIGHT>LENS>BODY

bobbyz
Cream of the Crop
19,018 posts
Joined Nov 2007

May 20, 2018 09:14 |  #11223

Osa713 wrote in post #18628728 (external link)
Bobby what version were you running? I think I had they same problem last week.

My working one had version 2.4. The strobe with HSS issues was at version 2.2. When upgraded to version 2.4, it seems to work fine. These shots were part of the class that I was teaching at my work place. And I was short one Nikon trigger so I had given my Fuji trigger to the person shooting Nikon as he could atleast use it as a dumb trigger. Somehow I ended up with Nikon on my GFX and Nikon person with Fuji. After I resolved that by swapping, this strobe didn't work still so I gave up. Also basic X-Pro trigger in a group environment works but just have to make sure that each person press the test button on his/hers trigger first when taking over the control. Otherwise you shooting with light power set by the someone else's trigger.

5dmk3, 35L, 85L II, 300mm f2.8 IS I, 400mm f5.6
Fuji XT-1, 14mm f2.8, 23mm f1.4, 35mm f1.4, 56mm f1.2, 90mm f2, 50-140mm f2.8

Shuttershare
283 posts
Gallery: 48 photos
Joined Oct 2015

May 20, 2018 12:35 as a reply to  @ post 18624788 |  #11224

Awesome :-)

"Arrive before everyone else, and leave after everyone's gone!"
www.naturalcoast.co.uk​/ (external link)

diveguy
68 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Jun 2014
Post edited 4 months ago by diveguy.

May 23, 2018 23:16 |  #11225

Today's shoot for an agency in the San Francisco area.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

Deets:
Canon 5d Mark IV
Canon 70-200mm L II
Camranger / iPad
Profoto D2 Strobe
Profoto 4' Octa

---------------
Chris Constantine
Chris Constantine Photography
San Rafael, California 94903
https://www.chrisconst​antinephoto.com (external link)
https://www.instagram.​com/chrisconstantineph​oto (external link)

EightEleven
Car enthusiast and an all around nice guy
1,661 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Nov 2012

May 24, 2018 08:27 as a reply to  @ diveguy's post |  #11226

So how is the tether working? Which software, it looks wireless.. I tried to use the Canon app with wifi but you had to go and manually select each image to review.. I want the last image to just appear on the screen.

Ron Snarski
flickr (external link)
C&C always welcome!

diveguy
68 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Jun 2014

May 24, 2018 11:16 |  #11227

EightEleven wrote in post #18631647 (external link)
So how is the tether working? Which software, it looks wireless.. I tried to use the Canon app with wifi but you had to go and manually select each image to review.. I want the last image to just appear on the screen.

I have the Canon 5D Mark IV with wifi, but found it too cumbersome to use for this. The setup was always taking me quite a bit of time, and I ended up fiddling with the camera wifi settings more than dialing in exposure and focusing on the shot.

I bought the CamRanger (external link) a few months ago and love it. It plugs into the camera and transmits wirelessly to an iPad, computer, etc. up to 150 feet away. I shoot RAW+Jpeg small, and it transmits the JPEG small to the camera and the image appears in 2-3 seconds. It will also transmit RAW images to your computer if you like, but naturally it takes a bit longer. The Camranger has its own free app for the iPad, Mac, or PC.

The iPad on set is great for client review. They can look at the iPad while I shoot, or I can show select photos to them after a session is done to make sure I got the shots they're looking for. It beats having to scroll through images on the camera LCD screen. If you prefer not to show the images to the client on-site, it's still great to have for your own review.

The Camranger has some additional features that I don't really use but others might. You can set it to bracket photos for HDR, focus stacking, live view, and you can also click the shutter from your iPad.

Anyway, I really like it and it's helped quite a bit in my workflow.

---------------
Chris Constantine
Chris Constantine Photography
San Rafael, California 94903
https://www.chrisconst​antinephoto.com (external link)
https://www.instagram.​com/chrisconstantineph​oto (external link)

Mesmer
Goldmember
1,116 posts
Gallery: 97 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Oct 2007

May 24, 2018 12:47 |  #11228

diveguy wrote in post #18631753 (external link)
I have the Canon 5D Mark IV with wifi, but found it too cumbersome to use for this. The setup was always taking me quite a bit of time, and I ended up fiddling with the camera wifi settings more than dialing in exposure and focusing on the shot.

I bought the CamRanger (external link) a few months ago and love it. It plugs into the camera and transmits wirelessly to an iPad, computer, etc. up to 150 feet away. I shoot RAW+Jpeg small, and it transmits the JPEG small to the camera and the image appears in 2-3 seconds. It will also transmit RAW images to your computer if you like, but naturally it takes a bit longer. The Camranger has its own free app for the iPad, Mac, or PC.

The iPad on set is great for client review. They can look at the iPad while I shoot, or I can show select photos to them after a session is done to make sure I got the shots they're looking for. It beats having to scroll through images on the camera LCD screen. If you prefer not to show the images to the client on-site, it's still great to have for your own review.

The Camranger has some additional features that I don't really use but others might. You can set it to bracket photos for HDR, focus stacking, live view, and you can also click the shutter from your iPad.

If you want a much cheaper option, you could try a wifi SD card and the app Shuttersnitch. $50-60 total for both. I use a Toshiba FlashAir SD card in my 5D4 and it sends each new photo wirelessly to Shuttersnitch on my iPad. It doesn't have loads of other features like the CamRanger has, but if you're just looking to have every new photo sent wirelessly to your mobile device, it just works. I've used Eye-Fi cards before and they work just fine. But the FlashAir seems to stay connected much better than the Eye-Fi cards did.

InstaGram (external link) Flickr (external link) | 5DmkIII | Samyang 24 1.4 | 35 2.0is | 100L 2.8 Macro | 16-35L F4IS | 24-105L | 70-200L 2.8 II | 300L 4.0is | E640 | Speedlites

EightEleven
Car enthusiast and an all around nice guy
1,661 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Nov 2012

May 24, 2018 13:42 |  #11229

WOW, that is some great info! Thank you both!!

Mesmer wrote in post #18631815 (external link)
If you want a much cheaper option, you could try a wifi SD card and the app Shuttersnitch. $50-60 total for both. I use a Toshiba FlashAir SD card in my 5D4 and it sends each new photo wirelessly to Shuttersnitch on my iPad. It doesn't have loads of other features like the CamRanger has, but if you're just looking to have every new photo sent wirelessly to your mobile device, it just works. I've used Eye-Fi cards before and they work just fine. But the FlashAir seems to stay connected much better than the Eye-Fi cards did.

Ron Snarski
flickr (external link)
C&C always welcome!

Cuttlefish
201 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2010

May 24, 2018 14:49 |  #11230

I bought the CamRanger............

Informative.
Thank you.

7D & 450D | Canon 50mm 1.8 II | Canon 24-105L | Canon EF-S 18-55 IS | Sigma 70-200mm f2.8 EX DG OS HSM | Manfrotto 055XPROB & 804RC2 | SpeedLite 430EX II & 2 x YN560 II

Osa713
Goldmember
1,219 posts
Joined Jun 2011
Post edited 4 months ago by Osa713.

May 24, 2018 15:52 |  #11231

DIY black board and black seam less roll to concentrate the light, Godox V860 II above in a reflective umbrella as fill and beauty dish with AD600 as main.

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

LIGHT>LENS>BODY

KaosImagery
Goldmember
1,363 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Sep 2009

May 25, 2018 07:49 |  #11232

I also like the Camranger. It may not be the least expensive alternative, but it works well. I was fortunate enough to purchase it on a half off sale from B&H a number of years ago. It's excellent for letting your clients review images as you shoot them. If your eye are getting older like mine, it's nice to be able to see your shots on a larger screen like an iPad.

If you are a do it yourself type, you can buy the same router that the Camranger uses and use open source software to program and control it for a fraction of the Camranger price. I think TEAMSPEED had a post on that somewhere.

The device is especially useful in certain remote control setups like this:

IMAGE: http://www.cutwaterboatworks.com/potn/cruising_setup.jpg

Website (external link) flickr (external link) 500px (external link) FaceBook (external link)

Grayman
304 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined Aug 2009

May 26, 2018 03:43 as a reply to  @ post 18624788 |  #11233

Great post Chris, thank you.

Awesome images too - the players (and team as a whole) must be thrilled with the images!

7D, 40D, Canon 24-70 f2.8, Canon 24-105L f4, Canon 70-200 f4, Canon 580exii

Osa713
Goldmember
1,219 posts
Joined Jun 2011

May 26, 2018 11:34 |  #11234

bobbyz wrote in post #18628948 (external link)
My working one had version 2.4. The strobe with HSS issues was at version 2.2. When upgraded to version 2.4, it seems to work fine.

Wow my version is 1.6.... Now I need to find a windows computer :rolleyes:.

LIGHT>LENS>BODY

ptcanon3ti
Cream of the Crop
7,773 posts
Gallery: 335 photos
Joined Sep 2012

May 26, 2018 11:48 |  #11235

Osa713 wrote in post #18633112 (external link)
Wow my version is 1.6.... Now I need to find a windows computer :rolleyes:.

The windows only thing is by far the biggest, and in my opinion inexcusable, problem with the godox system.

Paul
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/petshots/ (external link)
Body - Nikon D750
Lenses - Nikon 20 f1.8 / Nikon 16-35 f4 / Sigma 105 OS Macro / Sigma 24-105 f4 Art / Tamron 70-200 2.8 Di VC / Sigma 150-600 "S"

sponsored links

4,782,138 views & 8,135 likes for this thread
Show us your setup and the final result!
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.