Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 24 May 2018 (Thursday) 13:17
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Completely new to this(asking for advice)

PJmak
683 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2009

May 24, 2018 13:17 |  #1

I dont shoot with flash and I want to get into it.

How does this setup below work?

Im assuming its a flash hooked up to an umbrella and triggered wirelessly?

I have a sony camera. Can someone recommend something for me that wont break the bank? Id like to get into this kind of photography.

Id also prefer a bit of a stronger flash(if thats a thing) to also potentially use on automotive shoots, not just people or portraits.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Viewbug (external link)

sponsored links
inkista
606 posts
Joined Oct 2007

May 24, 2018 16:01 |  #2

PJmak wrote in post #18631841 (external link)
I dont shoot with flash and I want to get into it.

How does this setup below work?

Im assuming its a flash hooked up to an umbrella and triggered wirelessly?

Yes. Most commonly with radio triggers. The transmitter unit goes onto the hotshoe of your camera, and a receiver is either built-in or attached to the flash in some way that can communicate the hotshoe signal or signals from your camera to the flash.

The flash is attached to a support via either a bracket (external link) or umbrella adapter/swivel (external link), which also has a means to secure the umbrella. The bracket or swivel goes on top of a stud/spigot (external link) that can be screwed onto any 1/4"x20 bolt (like the ones used on monopods and tripod) or over the end of the lightstand.

I have a sony camera. Can someone recommend something for me that wont break the bank? Id like to get into this kind of photography.

Most of us would point you to the Godox X system (external link), but some of this hinges on which Sony camera you have, and whether it's using the older Minolta iISO hotshoe (external link), or the newer multi-interface shoe (external link). Godox's gear is for the multi-interface shoe, so if you're using the iISO hotshoe on your camera, you will need at least one adapter for the on-camera unit.

Blind, low-cost recommendation would be to get a TT685S (external link) (US$110) and an XProS (external link) ($70), preferably in their Flashpoint R2 incarnations on Adorama, if you're in the USA. The TT685S has a built-in radio receiver, so you don' t need to add one onto the foot of the flash, and you can get TTL/HSS on a Sony camera. But if you want an on-camera speedlight and prefer it be small and light, the TT350S (external link) is another option. If you have more budget to burn and hate dealing with AA batteries, the li-on versions of the two speedlights mentioned are the V860II and the V350S.

Id also prefer a bit of a stronger flash(if thats a thing) to also potentially use on automotive shoots, not just people or portraits.

Then you may want to look at the Godox AD200 (external link). But it has no flash foot and must be used as an off-camera radio slave. Which makes it less suitable for things like on-camera bouncing for events (weddings, parties) or chasing kids around the house. Speedlights (hotshoe flashes) can do both on and off-camera.

I'm a woman. I shoot with a Fuji X100T, Panasonic GX-7, Canon 5DmkII, and 50D. flickr stream (external link)

PJmak
THREAD ­ STARTER
683 posts
Joined Feb 2009

May 24, 2018 17:14 |  #3

inkista wrote in post #18631950 (external link)
Yes. Most commonly with radio triggers. The transmitter unit goes onto the hotshoe of your camera, and a receiver is either built-in or attached to the flash in some way that can communicate the hotshoe signal or signals from your camera to the flash.

The flash is attached to a support via either a bracket (external link) or umbrella adapter/swivel (external link), which also has a means to secure the umbrella. The bracket or swivel goes on top of a stud/spigot (external link) that can be screwed onto any 1/4"x20 bolt (like the ones used on monopods and tripod) or over the end of the lightstand.

Most of us would point you to the Godox X system (external link), but some of this hinges on which Sony camera you have, and whether it's using the older Minolta iISO hotshoe (external link), or the newer multi-interface shoe (external link). Godox's gear is for the multi-interface shoe, so if you're using the iISO hotshoe on your camera, you will need at least one adapter for the on-camera unit.

Blind, low-cost recommendation would be to get a TT685S (external link) (US$110) and an XProS (external link) ($70), preferably in their Flashpoint R2 incarnations on Adorama, if you're in the USA. The TT685S has a built-in radio receiver, so you don' t need to add one onto the foot of the flash, and you can get TTL/HSS on a Sony camera. But if you want an on-camera speedlight and prefer it be small and light, the TT350S (external link) is another option. If you have more budget to burn and hate dealing with AA batteries, the li-on versions of the two speedlights mentioned are the V860II and the V350S.

Then you may want to look at the Godox AD200 (external link). But it has no flash foot and must be used as an off-camera radio slave. Which makes it less suitable for things like on-camera bouncing for events (weddings, parties) or chasing kids around the house. Speedlights (hotshoe flashes) can do both on and off-camera.

Thanks for taking the time to write this up.

So the first product you posted...the Godox. Would that be bright enough for automotive photos as well?

Also Is there a more direct link to one that shows the price? I know nothing abut this stuff and its very confusing.

Btw I use a Sony a6500. Not sure what kind of hot shoe it has

Viewbug (external link)

nixland
510 posts
Joined Apr 2009

May 24, 2018 19:11 |  #4

PJmak wrote in post #18632003 (external link)
So the first product you posted...the Godox. Would that be bright enough for automotive photos as well?

Maybe you can show us the sample of automotive photos you wanna shoot.

inkista
606 posts
Joined Oct 2007
Post edited 9 months ago by inkista. (6 edits in all)

May 25, 2018 01:29 |  #5

PJmak wrote in post #18632003 (external link)
Thanks for taking the time to write this up.

Depends. Posting some example images would help us figure out what you mean by "automotive photos". :)

Also Is there a more direct link to one that shows the price?

Not really. Price fluctuate. The Godox X system link I posted earlier lays out all the flash model options in part III (external link). Part I gives all the Adorama Flashpoint rebranding "names" of the Godox gear (e.g., speedlights are Zoom, AD200 = eVOLV, AD360II = Streaklight, AD600 = XPLOR).

• X1T transmitter = $45
  • XPro transmitter = $70
  • TT350 = $85, V350 = $160
  • TT600 = $65, V850II = $140
  • TT685 = $110, V860II = $180
  • AD200, around $300
  • AD360II, around $500 (with battery pack)
  • AD600, around $750; $550 for the Manual version (AD600M)
  • AD600 Pro, $1000.

Btw I use a Sony a6500. Not sure what kind of hot shoe it has

Which is why I linked to photos of each of the two hotshoes so you could just compare them to what's on your camera. :) The A6500 uses the multi-interface hotshoe.

I'm a woman. I shoot with a Fuji X100T, Panasonic GX-7, Canon 5DmkII, and 50D. flickr stream (external link)

F2Bthere
Goldmember
1,029 posts
Joined Oct 2015
Post edited 9 months ago by F2Bthere.

May 25, 2018 05:51 |  #6

The advice so far is quite good. I'll just add a few comments.

If you want to shoot cars, as pointed out, the look you are going for is a consideration. Cars are frequently shot with huge overhead scrims or soft boxes. That type of image puts you in new territory :). But a lot of good work can be done in other ways.

Godox is a good option. Adorama is a good place to get it, where it is renamed to their house-brand name flashpoint.

The AD 200 is a decent choice. The 360 has more power. The AD 600 has more power but the 360 is better designed for efficient delivery of power, so it's less than a stop in practical terms. You can double up the 200, but the 360 is more cost effective.

If you really want power, I would consider Elinchrom. They have a couple new units at 500 and 1200 WS. There are also older units (cheaper now) at 400, 425 and 1100 WS.

I have both Godox and Elinchrom. Godox is more portable, but power has advantages. Even when you don't need it, powerful units recycle faster.

And the two systems can be combined in the right circumstances, so you can start with one and expand into the other.

If you have the funds and don't mind the weight, the Elinchrom 1200 is hard to beat. It's a solid system, has a great LED modeling light with actual power (it can be used as a video light and a strong continuous light can help with learning). But it is over $3000 new and unlikely to be many used available (yet).

If you want power but want to keep to a smaller budget, the 1100 WS Elinchrom is solid, although less feature rich. Expect to spend $1000 for used.

Or get a Godox unit to get started, learn from it, discover what you can do with it and decide if you need more power. The 360 would be my recommendation. The 360 is more convenient to adapt to Elinchrom modifiers. And if you standardize on them, you can add Elinchrom later.

C&C always welcomed...
On my images, of course, and on my words as well--as long as it's constructive :).
https://www.instagram.​com/storyinpictures_co​m/ (external link)

PJmak
THREAD ­ STARTER
683 posts
Joined Feb 2009

May 31, 2018 10:24 |  #7

Thanks for all the advice.

I dont have a big budget so I think I narrowed it down to the Godox TT685S.

I figure the setup with the trigger and an umbrella will cost me under $200.

As far as Shooting cars, I guess I just want to have some sort of fill light for now. Im not trying to do anything too crazy.

I also want to do some car detail shots so this should be ok for that for now.

I figure this is the most bang for my money for now.

Viewbug (external link)

sponsored links

688 views & 4 likes for this thread
Completely new to this(asking for advice)
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.