Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera 
Thread started 20 May 2018 (Sunday) 02:03
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

5D Mark 2, or 5D Mark 3?

goalerjones
225 posts
Gallery: 46 photos
Joined May 2018

May 20, 2018 02:03 |  #1

I'm getting back into photography again after my Minolta X-700 days and film. I recently purchased a Canon 5D Mark 2 off ebay with under 700 shutter actuation's for a very good price. However, now that I've been using it I wonder if perhaps I shouldn't have gone for the Mark 3 instead? 9 focal points vs 61 seems to be a very big deal when auto focusing. I'm not going to use the video functions so that's of no consequence. Price wise, the Mark 3 is the highest I'm comfortable going on the used market with actuation's under 80k.

I've been asked to shoot events and indoor scenes with some macros for our church, and for myself I like street scenes and landscape/skylines. I do love to shoot at night also. I have a good assortment of Canon lenses so I will stay with Canon as a brand.

Should I just stay where I am, get to know the camera better, or sell it and get a Mark 3 instead? Any perspective/insight I can gain from the lurkers here would be greatly appreciated.

sponsored links
gonzogolf
dumb remark memorialized
29,004 posts
Joined Dec 2006

May 20, 2018 03:08 |  #2

What are you shooting? While the 5D2 autofocus system isn't the top of the line there isn't much I can't shoot using mine, including sports.

sploo
premature adulation
2,383 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2011

May 20, 2018 07:25 |  #3

Purely in terms of dynamic range the 5D3 isn't that much better (http://www.photonstoph​otos.net …n%20EOS%205D%20​Mark%20III (external link)). Its read noise is a little lower too, but overall it's probably not a massive jump in terms of image quality.

In terms of AF tracking and speed however, the 5D3 is in a different league. It's essentially a slightly detuned version of the AF system from the 1Dx.

Camera, some lenses, too little time, too little talent

toyguru
265 posts
Joined Apr 2005

May 20, 2018 19:28 |  #4

I just bought a second 5D Mark 2 because I'm getting back into wedding photography again AFTER I just gave/sold most of my gear over the last few years. My old 5D mark 2 has not let me down on any assignments that I've ever done from night concerts to daylight blasting down on a wedding party during a wedding shoot.

I thought about going to the Mark 3, but bang for your buck the mark 2 is really hard to beat on the second hand market. I've learned over the years, not just through photography, the tool is only as good as the user. I also came from learning from the Minolta X-700 from back in the day. I really miss shooting on that camera and it was a very capable piece of equipment. If I could have a darkroom I'd probably still be shooting with it! From that camera I went to the 20D, 40D, 60D, 5D and now I have 2 5D Mark II's in the stable with my 5Dc.

I'd say shoot with the 5D II, save your money and get some nice lenses and learn to shoot with it. Once you get some clicks with it, I doubt you'll be disappointed.

Gear List
flickr (external link)
DigitalStream Productions (external link)

elitejp
Goldmember
1,660 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Mar 2008

May 21, 2018 01:39 |  #5

Sploo summed it up nicely. Image quality there isnt much of an improvement but af has a huge improvement. If you can deal with the af system then just stick with the 5d2. A 6D could also be a good option but I would probably just stick with whatever is the cheapest. Once you add speedlights to your gear just about every camera has the same IQ.

6D; canon 85mm 1.8, Tamron 24-70mm VC, Canon 135L Canon 70-200L is ii

goalerjones
THREAD ­ STARTER
225 posts
Joined May 2018

May 21, 2018 02:36 |  #6

thanks for the replies. I may have sold the Mk 2 for a profit, but I will see how this buyer works out.

My challenge is, while shooting church events and services a flash really isn't going to work, so low or indoor will be my only light to use. Gets a little distracting when a flash is going off in the middle of service.

With that being said, now I'm spinning with full frame camera overload. The mark 3 vs Mark 2 side by side moving auto-focus challenge I saw showed a really poor focus capture rate for the Mark 2 https://www.dpreview.c​om/forums/post/4113997​6 (external link) not even keeping up with a slowly walking subject.

I'm looking at: (used)
5D Mark 3
1Ds Mk 3 (but can the H sensor actually make images good enough to enlarge?)

sploo
premature adulation
2,383 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Nov 2011

May 21, 2018 02:58 |  #7

goalerjones wrote in post #18629437 (external link)
thanks for the replies. I may have sold the Mk 2 for a profit, but I will see how this buyer works out.

My challenge is, while shooting church events and services a flash really isn't going to work, so low or indoor will be my only light to use. Gets a little distracting when a flash is going off in the middle of service.

With that being said, now I'm spinning with full frame camera overload. The mark 3 vs Mark 2 side by side moving auto-focus challenge I saw showed a really poor focus capture rate for the Mark 2 https://www.dpreview.c​om/forums/post/4113997​6 (external link) not even keeping up with a slowly walking subject.

I'm looking at: (used)
5D Mark 3
1Ds Mk 3 (but can the H sensor actually make images good enough to enlarge?)

The 1Ds (and 1Dx) models have a full frame sensor like the 5D models (it's the 1D series that's APS-H).

I would choose a 5D3 over a 1Ds III. You don't gain anything with image quality or fps with the 1Ds III. I don't know how the AF system compares, but I'd be surprised if the 5D3 wasn't at least a match.

The original 6D may be worth consideration. The AF system (centre point only) can focus in lower light levels than the 5D3 (if I recall correctly), and the high ISO image quality is said to be just a tiny bit better. Overall the 5D3 is still a much better all-round camera though.

You could bypass all these decisions and just get the 5D4 of course; then you have everything ;)

Camera, some lenses, too little time, too little talent

goalerjones
THREAD ­ STARTER
225 posts
Joined May 2018

May 21, 2018 05:36 |  #8

sploo wrote in post #18629441 (external link)
You could bypass all these decisions and just get the 5D4 of course; then you have everything ;)

would that I could...saw some listed new for $240 on ebay, but there's no way it was real IMO.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
34,555 posts
Gallery: 89 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

May 21, 2018 07:58 |  #9

IMO 5D3 files are more malleable, in other words they are cleaner regarding ISO noise and characteristics over the 5D2. If you are good with post processing using noise reduction tools carefully, you can shoot at higher ISO than the 5D2.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

goalerjones
THREAD ­ STARTER
225 posts
Joined May 2018

May 26, 2018 04:49 |  #10

Update...tried to sell my mark ii...long story-scam. It's still in customs here at LAX so I believe I'll be out only shipping, thank you God. In the meantime I went ahead and got a used Mark iii, 45k shutter count for what appears to be market value (honey...guess what?). Now I'm selling off old hockey equipment and other unused items to try to offset the cost. Getting the Mark ii sold will make up a big part of the difference. Already loving it. AF so much quicker. Took closeup/macro of my parrot (posted on my wall) who is known for her lack of stillness but no problems at all. Still have a big learning curve for the menus and options, but so far so good and it's a huge load off my mind to just focus on getting good shots now...oh, and of course, casually eyeballing new lenses.

sponsored links

801 views & 1 like for this thread
5D Mark 2, or 5D Mark 3?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.