Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
Thread started 19 May 2018 (Saturday) 11:58
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Is ABT Electronics a reputable retailer?

EOS-Mike
Goldmember
1,022 posts
Gallery: 30 photos
Joined Oct 2013

May 19, 2018 11:58 |  #1

I have never heard of ABT until today. I purchased many items over the years through Amazon, Adorama, and BH.

I'm specifically trying to get the Sony A7 mark 3 (who isn't?), and the New York stores are closed for three days (holiday).

I would prefer ordering through Amazon, BH or Amorama, but they are all backordered and I don't know by how much (they don't seem to know either).

ABT says two weeks.

Any thoughts are appreciated. Thank you.

Sony A7 III
All my Canon gear is on sale here.

sponsored links
jmckayak
446 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined May 2009

May 19, 2018 12:35 |  #2

You could try Allen's Camera, very reliable.

http://allenscamera.co​m (external link)

ONE30
I don't have a point!!!
4,232 posts
Joined Mar 2011
Post edited 5 months ago by ONE30.

May 20, 2018 05:04 |  #3

...i visited the store in IL, and it seemed more like a bestbuy inside. they did have some camera equipment on display but obviously not as expansive as the ny stores.

i purchased a wireless headset and didn’t feel any pressure from any of the salespeople.

similarly, i believe they offer free shipping and tax free if being delivered out of state.

i would buy again from ABT but if BH and Adorama are unable to get the item, most likely, ABT will also not be able to get it. especially, in two weeks.

KaosImagery
Goldmember
1,368 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Sep 2009

May 20, 2018 11:10 |  #4

I purchased a high end Asus laptop from them three years ago. Best price online and no sales tax for me. They were a little slow to communicate and ship compared to the major retailers you mention, but otherwise, no problems. That's my only dealing with them.

Website (external link) flickr (external link) 500px (external link) FaceBook (external link)

DavidWatts
899 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Apr 2008

May 27, 2018 00:25 |  #5

I visit the brick and mortar store fairly regularly. I am more than OK buying a major appliance there, and even a minor appliance. The camera department is small-ish, and the salespeople there are, well, OK, but not really the best trained for that one department. Not to say you can't find someone good, but overall, I'd shop somewhere else for photo equipment. B&H is my go-to, and second would be the refurbished route looking at the Canon Price Watch site, and one similar for Nikon.

I will say this for ABT... If you want an appliance shopping experience second to absolutely none, visit there, and make sure you have plenty of time on your hands to walk through full kitchen showrooms that will have you hear Robin Leach in the background talking his lifestyles of the rich and famous line from that show. Truly an amazing place. Think B&H physical store, but for home goods and appliances, and the like. Need a $10,000 outdoor grill? How about a 130-inch 8K flatscreen? Ever see every single color of Kitchenaid blenders all in a row? (There are a lot!)

What ABT really needs to do, if they seriously care about photo and video, is to move that department that is currently near the big fish tank on the main floor into one of their specialty store spaces in the circular indoor multi-story mall area in the back, like they did with their own version of an Apple store, and a dozen others. Yes, I did say mall. And it is.

My Smugmug site (external link)

minsoochoiphoto
34 posts
Joined Jul 2011

Jul 05, 2018 12:24 |  #6

Abt is a highly reputable dealer. They have fantastic customer service in my experience. Have a good day!

saea501
... spilled over a little on the panties
6,419 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2010

Jul 05, 2018 14:25 |  #7

EOS-Mike wrote in post #18628413 (external link)
I'm specifically trying to get the Sony A7 mark 3 (who isn't?),

.......I'm not......:rolleyes:

Remember what the DorMouse said.....feed your head.
Bob
https://www.flickr.com …282@N06/with/38​203470844/ (external link)

sponsored links

751 views & 3 likes for this thread
Is ABT Electronics a reputable retailer?
FORUMS Marketplace & Market Info Market Watch 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.