Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Presentation & Building Galleries 
Thread started 27 May 2018 (Sunday) 14:15
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Friend wants to buy a print from me

2005GLI
Goldmember
1,818 posts
Joined Apr 2005

May 27, 2018 14:15 |  #1

A friend of mine wants to buy a print from me of the recent moon shot I took this past Friday. I'v never had a print done for someone before. I have the images in original size saved as tiff's. Im worried that if I have a print done in a larger size like 16x16 that it will come out horrible. Any suggestions for a first time pic printer?

|Canon 80D|40D backup|24-105 F4/L|Sigma 70-200 F/2.8|Sigma 150-500 C|
|Tokina 12-24|Sigma 8mm Fisheye|

sponsored links
gingygrant
20 posts
Joined May 2018

May 27, 2018 14:26 |  #2

To get photo quality in a 16x20 print you really only need 8 megapixels. It is not as intense as many think. Usually, online labs also give the icc profile so you can adjust your picture and know pretty much how it will look before. If time is not a huge issue just get one and see what it looks like, if changes need to be made you can always get another.

s1a1om
502 posts
Gallery: 46 photos
Joined Jul 2013
Post edited 5 months ago by s1a1om.

May 27, 2018 15:02 |  #3

I did an air to air photoshoot for someone last year and he ended up wanting 16x20s of a couple images. I had never printed my photos before, so I wasn't sure how they would turn out. And these weren't the best resolution (fairly large crops about 3000px on the largest side) I resized them in photoshop to approximately 6000x4800 and sent them to adoramapix. I was fairly happy with the results, with the exception of a halo around the plane due to the resizing/sharpening. I spent some time in photoshop eliminating the halo and resent it to Adoramapix. I couldn't be happier with the results. The photos looked great.

I guess this is all just to say, make sure the image is clean when you send it to print as what you see it what you get. If there are any little imperfections, fix them before printing. Secondly, AdoramaPix did a great job, I'd highly recommend printing through them.

Constructive criticism is always appreciated.

2005GLI
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,818 posts
Joined Apr 2005

May 27, 2018 15:22 |  #4

I did a google and found adoramapix and wow more options and lower prices too. She wants a canvas print in a smaller size but im going to surprise her with a slightly larger one since it is a shot of the moon. Im going with the wrap around version. The image size that im uploading is roughly 3600x2900 since I had cropped it a bit. It looks pretty cool on the adorampix site.

ShutterKlick
333 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Joined Oct 2017

May 27, 2018 15:35 |  #5

Without much fuss, Ive been using NPL for all my prints.. I upload, select the size and position in the edit section, I always choose "color corrected" and my prints always arrived with impressive quality, color and end result!

I may find a cheaper lab, but I trust NPL to give me what I want every time so I dont move around, I stick with NPL.

Andrew

"Camera rich, Cash poor"
http://shutterklick.co​m (external link)

2005GLI
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,818 posts
Joined Apr 2005

May 27, 2018 15:44 |  #6

Chose Adoromapix and 11x14 mirror canvas size. I am going to start looking at printing more of my pics for me.

s1a1om
502 posts
Gallery: 46 photos
Joined Jul 2013

May 27, 2018 16:39 |  #7

ShutterKlick wrote in post #18633894 (external link)
I always choose "color corrected"

Good thing to keep in mind here. I always turn off the color correction when I print through Adoramapix since I do the color correction in Photoshop before sending them.

Constructive criticism is always appreciated.

ShutterKlick
333 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Joined Oct 2017

May 27, 2018 19:07 as a reply to  @ s1a1om's post |  #8

Understood, I however... do not do any lab color correction on my side. When I have them color correct, the prints come out looking like they did on my monitor (98% anyway). Good enough I cant tell. So thats how I run with it.

If you can color correct for your lab, that would save you $.49 a print (I think is the usual cost). I recommend you do what is most comfortable for you.

Im not motivated enough to mess with it, so I pay the lab a small token and the results for me so far, with NPL, have been pleasing.

YMMV.

Andrew

"Camera rich, Cash poor"
http://shutterklick.co​m (external link)

sponsored links

577 views & 1 like for this thread
Friend wants to buy a print from me
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos Presentation & Building Galleries 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.