Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 28 May 2018 (Monday) 17:46
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

just needing info on camera

drifter106
507 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Feb 2006
Post edited 3 months ago by drifter106.

May 28, 2018 17:46 |  #1

Hello,

Been a while since I really have followed this forum. For the last 3 years I have been battling lymphoma and right now it is in remission. I have a EOS 5dIII that I purchased the year I got sick. In 2015...I would like to sell it and get a MarkIV but not sure how much its worth. Its been in my bag with a lens on it in a closet. It has 3,563 clicks according to shutter count.

Any advise is welcome...

Just not sure what I should ask....

one thing I have going against me is that I have never SOLD anything here. Bought a lens a few years back but thats it.

Gear
Remember, what is common knowledge to some is a revelation to others.

sponsored links
TreeburnerCT
416 posts
Gallery: 102 photos
Joined Dec 2016

May 29, 2018 15:07 |  #2

I can't comment on the value but I can tell you that selling here is easy as long as you have enough posts of valuable content to show you aren't a scammer. I sold a few items before they revamped the POTN marketplace and I never had any feedback in the old system but people still bought from me without issue. Clearly describe the item and estimate the condition on the low side so people are extra happy when they get it, point out ANY cosmetic or mechanical issues and make sure to include clear photos of the item you're selling.

Just out of curiosity, what is it the 5D3 you've barely used can't do that the 5D4 can? If you just want something new you might be better served buying glass instead of a new body. Either that or look into mirrorless (not Canon), the Sony mirrorless have some amazing AF and getting rid of the need for MFA is very appealing.

-Joe

RapidPhotoCT.com (external link) | RapidPhotoCT Facebook (external link) | RapidPhotoCT Instagram (external link)

bob_r
Goldmember
2,406 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Joined Aug 2006

May 29, 2018 21:01 |  #3

drifter106 wrote in post #18634653 (external link)
Any advise is welcome...

My advise would be to keep the 5DIII. I don't know if the images in your gallery are the type of pics that you normally take, but if so, the 5DIII should serve you well for many years.

Canon 7D, 5D, 35L, 50 f/1.4, 85 f/1.8, 135L, 200L, 10-22, 17-55, 70-300, 100-400L, 500D, 580EX(2).
Sigma 150 macro, 1.4X, 2X, Quantaray 2X, Kenko closeup tubes, Yongnuo YN685(3), Yongnuo YN-622C-TX. Lots of studio stuff.
** Image Editing OK **

Dan ­ Marchant
Do people actually believe in the Title Fairy?
5,021 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Location: Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.

May 29, 2018 23:14 |  #4

+1 to the above. The 5DIII is a really great camera and yours has been patiently waiting all this time, hoping you would get well enough to go out and play. Don't kick her to the curb for some flighty MkIV - everyone knows they have no loyalty and will dump you as soon as some young Street Photographer with prime lenses comes along.

Buy sexy new glass for your MkIII instead.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

waylandcool
478 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Jun 2007

Jun 05, 2018 13:20 |  #5

First of all, I'm glad you are feeling up to photography again.

I'll agree with the above posters. Until you get out there and start shooting, there is no way to tell what the 5DIII can and can't do for you. I'd get it out start clicking away and then evaluate. I only really buy new gear if there is a shot that I want that my current setup can't do.

Just my 2 cents.

mwsilver
Goldmember
3,754 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Oct 2011

Jun 07, 2018 16:51 |  #6

drifter106 wrote in post #18634653 (external link)
Hello,

Been a while since I really have followed this forum. For the last 3 years I have been battling lymphoma and right now it is in remission. I have a EOS 5dIII that I purchased the year I got sick. In 2015...I would like to sell it and get a MarkIV but not sure how much its worth. Its been in my bag with a lens on it in a closet. It has 3,563 clicks according to shutter count.

Any advise is welcome...

Just not sure what I should ask....

one thing I have going against me is that I have never SOLD anything here. Bought a lens a few years back but thats it.

I just looked at your gallery as well. What are you hoping the 5D Mark IV will do for your Phtography that the 5D Mark III doesn't?

Mark
Canon 7D2, 60D, T3i, T2i, Sigma 18-35 f/1.8, 30 f/1.4. Canon EF 70-200 L f/4 IS, EF 35 f/2 IS, EFs 10-18 STM, EFs 15-85, EFs 18-200, EF 50 f/1.8 STM, Tamron 18-270 PZD, B+W MRC CPL, Canon 320EX, Vanguard Alta Pro 254CT & SBH 250 head. RODE Stereo Videomic Pro, DXO PhotoLab, Elements 15

sponsored links

641 views & 1 like for this thread
just needing info on camera
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.