Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera 
Thread started 27 Feb 2018 (Tuesday) 19:52
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Downsides of Sony A7 III vs more expensive mirrorless Sonys?

nougatmachine
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Feb 2018

Feb 27, 2018 19:52 |  #1

The specification sheets for these cameras are massive and I'm trying to gauge what I'd lose out on by going with the more affordable option – things I've seen so far:

• No blackout-free shooting
  • Slower shooting speed
  • Smaller, lower-resolution viewfinder
  • Less weather-proof

Is that all there is? I'm not very concerned about differences in autofocus speed or how many shots the camera can take per second for the casual shooting I do. This seems like a very competitive camera relative to its A9 and A7s/r companions to me!

sponsored links
tdlavigne
350 posts
Joined Mar 2015

Feb 27, 2018 20:00 |  #2

Resolution, viewfinder/LCD, and potential AF-speed are the only big ones most are bringing up. Sony isn't terribly "weather-proof/resistant" to begin with so I don't think that's much of a biggie. Unless you specifically need blazing fast AF in tracking or 20fps (A9), "better" video features (A7s), or 42mp (A7r) then the A7III is IMO potentially the best camera they'll have...assuming the IQ of the final production models are up to par.

nougatmachine
THREAD ­ STARTER
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Feb 2018

Feb 28, 2018 07:37 as a reply to  @ tdlavigne's post |  #3

You could say the fact that it's not yet in production and had real-world testing is a downside. It should be excellent as long as they deliver…

txsizzler
213 posts
Gallery: 76 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2017

Mar 04, 2018 19:48 |  #4

One other thing.. the most obvious, price ;-)a

That being said, the A9/A7RIII are still valued cameras at their price points, although I could well imagine we will see a price reduction on those two models soon.

I am guessing $3999 for the A9.. and $2999 for the A7RIII.

Scoobert
Goldmember
1,064 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Feb 2013

Mar 24, 2018 14:41 |  #5

24 meg sensor verses the fantastic 42 meg sensor?

Croasdail
making stuff up
6,902 posts
Joined Apr 2005
Post edited 6 months ago by Croasdail.

May 23, 2018 22:04 as a reply to  @ Scoobert's post |  #6

The A7 III is not 42 meg sensor. its a full frame 24 meg sensor.

My walk around is a6300 with a metabones speed booster attached so I can use my L glass on it. I absolutely love the combo..... Speed booster gives me an additional stop of speed.

For most generalized shooting the A6300 and a6500 have amazing low light performance as well as great color depth. When I switched from Canons it was the first thing I noticed when I opened images in Lightroom.... there is just so much latitude.

That said, the A7 III adds even more dynamic range, plus full frame detail. You really can't go wrong with either. The sensor in the A7 is just a newer generation and performs as much. Do you need it.... heck no. Would it be nice to have..... Heck yes. if money isn't a problem .... go with the A7. Better battery. New generation. Full frame. If you are just a rec. shooter.... the 6500 would do the job just fine. It will produce images as nice as any Canon, and its video will blow the Canons out of the water.

I hope Canon gets its act together again. I've been a loyal Canon shooter for 35 years. They just refuse to innovate.... so I bailed. I hate the Sony menus but love the output of these little cameras.

Mark
Its by knowing and mastering all the rules that you learn which ones you can break.

mickeyb105
Goldmember
2,498 posts
Gallery: 368 photos
Joined Dec 2011
Post edited 6 months ago by mickeyb105.

May 24, 2018 14:35 |  #7

Croasdail wrote in post #18631443 (external link)
The A7 III is not 42 meg sensor. its a full frame 24 meg sensor.

But the A7RIII is 42MP, and it is about $1K more expensive than the A7III.

I think it is fair to ask if there is a $1K quality/feature/tech difference.

Sony A99ii, RX-100ii, Sonnar T* 135mm f1.8 ZA, Planar T* 50mm F1.4 ZA, 24mm f/2 SSM Distagon T*, Minolta HS 200 2.8 APO, Minolta 2xTC APO, HVL-F43M
Flickr (external link)

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

May 24, 2018 17:32 |  #8
bannedBack in 3 months

mickeyb105 wrote in post #18631888 (external link)

If you need 42mp...then yes...otherwise no. Simple as that.

Croasdail
making stuff up
6,902 posts
Joined Apr 2005

May 24, 2018 19:15 as a reply to  @ Hogloff's post |  #9

Mickeyb105 - if you need to capture noiseless images that you intend on printing on large media - then yes - The RIII sensor is way better than anything in a A6500 or A6300. I think you need to figure out what it is your are going to be shooting, and how you plan on displaying your work first..... then choose the camera that can meet those needs. How did the A7 RIII get included here anyway? The thread is about the A7 III I thought?

Mark
Its by knowing and mastering all the rules that you learn which ones you can break.

AlanU
Cream of the Crop
6,839 posts
Gallery: 61 photos
Joined Feb 2008

May 25, 2018 11:37 |  #10

What do you shoot currently??

A lot of gear these days is so feature rich that the product of a camera displays the skill of the photographer. Not going to say gear doesn't help since we all know its a collective effort in gear/human to produce great images.

The A7iii is an all round fantastic camera. Is it perfect? nope....no camera is perfect so our pipe dream of a perfect camera just doesn't exist.

We all have different applications for gear. I would rather invest in another Canon 5dmk4 before spending money on a Sony A7Riii.

Sony, Canon, Nikon, Fuji, Panny, Olympus etc etc all have different render in their images. If you coming from a different non Sony system there are many more factors just comparing A9 and A7Riii.

If you demand 40+MP then you have no alternative but the A7Riii. If you want your typical run of the mill 24MP sensor you have the choice of the A9 or A7iii for the most current Sony line.

If your just wanting a great camera for family documentation, video for uncle Bob's BBQ party I see not reason to spend $$$ on a Sony A9. That money can go towards you know $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ Sony lenses :(

Do you shoot portraits? google (images) Fuji portraits, Sony portraits and canon/nikon portraits. See how the general look you'll achieve with each Camera system.

Is your post processing skills advanced? Each camera system all have different approaches to post editing. You will see exactly what I mean if you coming from a different system like Micro 4/3, Fuji, Canon etc.

My hurdle is not spending money on the A7iii. It's the demand of Pro level Gmaster glass $$ to broaden the focal ranges in the scope of what I do in my photography.

If your not hardcore into sports or super fast requirements in AF I see no point requiring the A9. The A7iii should be able to do almost identical in performance for the average demanding user. Spend your hard earned money on native glass $$.

You are the one that must decided if Sony render is exactly what you love.

5Dmkiv |5Dmkiii | 24LmkII | 35mm f/2 IS | 85 mkII L | | 16-35L mkII | 24-70 f/2.8L mkii| 70-200 f/2.8 ISL mkII| 600EX-RT x2 | 580 EX II x2 | Einstein's
Fuji X-T2 w/battery booster | 16mm f/1.4 | 56 f/1.2 | 50-140 | TT685
Sony A7iii w/ Sigma MC-11 adapter | GM16-35 f/2.8 | Sigma Art 24 f/1.4 | Godox V860iiS

simonbarker
217 posts
Joined Mar 2009

May 31, 2018 10:47 |  #11

Fair? Fairness doesn't come into it.

You are paying for a better EVF and a larger resolution sensor, if you don't need either of those things then you save a lot of money and get a better camera.

sponsored links

1,888 views & 1 like for this thread
Downsides of Sony A7 III vs more expensive mirrorless Sonys?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Camera Vs. Camera 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.