Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 30 May 2018 (Wednesday) 14:14
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Lens foot and plate

chuckmiller
852 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined May 2012

May 30, 2018 14:14 |  #1

After reading that recent thread where someone compared parts from 3 different manufacturers it got me thinking. If you have long heavy lens, a 70-200 2.8, 100-400, anything that size and bigger, what does the majority of the crowd here do? Do you use only the stock foot, do you add an Arca Swiss plate to it, do you change out the stock foot? Please chime in.

Retired from Fire/Rescue with 30 years on the job 1/05/2019

sponsored links
MatthewK
Goldmember
3,641 posts
Gallery: 631 photos
Joined Apr 2009

May 31, 2018 04:56 |  #2

Some lens manufacturers are starting to bake the Arca Swiss rail into their tripod feet, but Canon has yet to do this, so whatever style of mount you decide to use, you'll have to screw a plate onto the foot of your lens. That adds more height and weight to your rig, along with the fact you're having to fiddle with another piece of gear. For my uses, since I'm not relying on a tripod for regular use I don't see a need to swap the feet.

For my 70-200 and 100-400, I have the stock feet in place because they don't bother me while hand-holding, and I don't use these lenses on tripods all that often. On the other hand, I've changed out the foot on my 500 II because the stock foot was highly uncomfortable when hand-holding, and I use the rig on a gimbal from time to time. I went with the 4th Generation Design CRX-5 adjustable foot, as the modular nature allowed me to tailor it to my needs (lower mount for hand holding comfort). Plus, it's super light weight, which helps shave off more weight from this heavy lens.

"NEW YEAR, NO G.A.S"

RPCrowe
Cream of the Crop
8,005 posts
Joined Nov 2005

May 31, 2018 22:56 |  #3

Canon could easily have cut groves in the 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS foot to accept an Arca Compatible camp. For that matter they could have milled the bottom of the foot to sit flat rather than curve up.

I use my 100-400 on a tripod often enough to make a Kirk after-market foot worthwhile...

See my images at http://rpcrowe.smugmug​.com/ (external link)

bpalermini
Goldmember
1,353 posts
Gallery: 85 photos
Joined Mar 2011

May 31, 2018 23:11 |  #4

Normally, maybe 90% of the time, I use my 70-200 without the foot ring on the lens. When I use a tripod I put a plate on the standard foot.

On the 100-400 v2 I wish the ring would come off but it does not. So far I have been using a plate on the standard foot but the foot is not designed to take one well. I don't use it on a tripod a lot so I will likely stay with the standard foot with a lens plate but I see why others may want to get an after-market foot. I would prefer one that comes off easily.

Bob Palermini
1DX, 5DIV, 14 Rokinon, 16-35L II, 24-70L II, 100L, 70-200 IS 2.8L, 100-400L II, 400mm 2.8 IS II, 1.4xIII, 2xIII, 580EXII, YN560IV, RRS TVC23 + BH55, LRCC, Fuji X-E2, Fuji X30
My Web Site (external link) | My Sports Portfolio (external link)

Choderboy
I Chimp, therefore I am
5,468 posts
Gallery: 100 photos
Joined Jul 2005

Jun 01, 2018 01:58 |  #5

Whatever works.

70-200 Canon, any version, just attach a plate. As long as the plate has a lip at the rear it's a solid reliable solution.
100-400 II - Canon really screwed us with this one. So I went with replacement foot. The back of the removeable Canon foot is curved so the lip on the back of a plate cannot function as intended, to prevent the plate twisting.

Larger lenses benefit from a foot replacement usually.
Sigma 150-600 Sport, which weighs almost as much as a Canon 500 II, has a great foot. It's solid and has the same bolt pattern and bolt size as a 5.4kg Canon 400 2.8 L IS.
Further, Sigma outdid themselves and provided 3 threaded inserts in the bottom of the foot. So I just attached a thin, single dovetail plate using all 3 screws. Very small weight addition and with 3 screws it's as solid as a replacement foot.

For the super teles, replacement feet are usually longer than the stock foot allowing balance to be achieved once mounted on head or gimbal with most configurations.
They are usually lower height, making them smaller for packing and usually better balanced on a gimbal. depending on the size of your fingers they may make it more difficult to use the foot as a handle if you want to use it as one.

Accessories: I attach a bracket to the foot for night use. The bracket has a torch, flash and a remote switch for the torch. For this reason, in the case of a Canon 70-200, I would not use a plate designed for it, I would chose a longer plate, as long as it has a lip at the rear. The 100-400 II Kirk foot has double dovetails at the front so I can attach a bracket without losing any balance adjustment range.

Dave
Image editing OK

Scott ­ M
Goldmember
3,128 posts
Gallery: 56 photos
Joined May 2008
Post edited 8 months ago by Scott M.

Jun 06, 2018 07:18 |  #6

I have the Kirk replacement foot for the 100-400L II for similar reasons already mentioned. I leave the foot mounted on the lens at all times, as it doesn't get in my way when shooting handheld. My 70-200 is the f/4 IS version, which does not come with a collar / foot (you can buy one, though). I use that lens handheld-only anyway.

Photo Gallery (external link)
Gear List

johnf3f
Goldmember
3,987 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2010

Jun 06, 2018 18:35 |  #7

I must be an exception but I have had zero issues with the lens foot on my 100-400 mk2. I have had it for a couple or three years now and the silly detaching mechanism has never worked loose. I fitted a KiwiFotos LP-86 and have no rotation issues.

Am I just lucky or did I find the solution?

Seriously though I was VERY sceptical about the lens foot on this lens but mine has proved to be absolutely fine. Note that I fitted the QR plate backwards so that the flange engages the front (objective) end of the foot - works a treat, plus has plenty of scope for balancing with my cameras.

P.S. I took this plate off my 70-200 F2.8 when I sold it - worked great on that lens too.

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

sponsored links

675 views & 2 likes for this thread
Lens foot and plate
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.