Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Data Storage, Memory Cards & Backup 
Thread started 08 May 2018 (Tuesday) 21:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Thought Backblaze would be a good addition to my backup, but maybe not?

Talley
Talley Whacker
11,091 posts
Gallery: 46 photos
Joined Dec 2011

May 17, 2018 20:15 |  #16

alex66 wrote in post #18627262 (external link)
Amazon Prime if you are just backing up photographs, it has a limit on Videos. However I can backup from any pc on the home network and unlike Backblaze the HD does not have to be connected every few wks. Not tried uploading on my travels though.

I thought about dumping my entire lightroom catalog into jpegmini exported jpg to amazon. Every single image of 135k images. At least I would have a jpg backup ya know. I mean in the end i'm not trying to preserve raw forever. When I die most likely the images will die with me.... nobody will ever look at them.

this is why I like to print.

A7rIII | A7III | 12-24 F4 | 16-35 GM | 28-75 2.8 | 100-400 GM | 12mm 2.8 Fisheye | 35mm 2.8 | 85mm 1.8 | 35A | 85A | 200mm L F2 IS | MC-11
My Gear Archive

sponsored links
alex66
247 posts
Joined Feb 2006

May 18, 2018 01:57 |  #17

Talley wrote in post #18627570 (external link)
I thought about dumping my entire lightroom catalog into jpegmini exported jpg to amazon. Every single image of 135k images. At least I would have a jpg backup ya know. I mean in the end i'm not trying to preserve raw forever. When I die most likely the images will die with me.... nobody will ever look at them.

I can up load my raws to amazon and where a years folder is not going to change it does not need to be synced to monitor changes. It is though down to your internet speed, before we had a decent connection it was going to take 2 years to do one year for about 300 gig. I don't know if Amazon has as good redundancy on their data banks though, its a last line of defence for me as I also have drives at my dads house just let them spin up every few months and swap the current on every few weeks. I see off site drives and on line as a line of defence if the house burns down and importantly data is moved on to newer drives quite frequently as well as staying on the older ones as the main risk is drive failure. Jpeg as a speedy method of moving files to upload is a good idea though, I would also advocate having enough memory cards or a large enough SSD when travelling as spinning drives are more susceptible to shock damage, still back up though.

Stuff
Feed Your Head

tim
Light Bringer
51,010 posts
Joined Nov 2004

May 18, 2018 02:55 |  #18

Talley wrote in post #18627570 (external link)

I just export 2000 pixels on the longest side, Q8. The images look good and are pretty small.

alex66 wrote in post #18627708 (external link)
I can up load my raws to amazon and where a years folder is not going to change it does not need to be synced to monitor changes. It is though down to your internet speed, before we had a decent connection it was going to take 2 years to do one year for about 300 gig. I don't know if Amazon has as good redundancy on their data banks though, its a last line of defence for me as I also have drives at my dads house just let them spin up every few months and swap the current on every few weeks. I see off site drives and on line as a line of defence if the house burns down and importantly data is moved on to newer drives quite frequently as well as staying on the older ones as the main risk is drive failure. Jpeg as a speedy method of moving files to upload is a good idea though, I would also advocate having enough memory cards or a large enough SSD when travelling as spinning drives are more susceptible to shock damage, still back up though.

Depends which Amazon service you use. It's most likely Amazon S3 providing the storage, which has 99.999999999% durability. From their S3 FAQ (external link)

Q: How are Amazon S3 and Amazon Glacier designed to achieve 99.999999999% durability?

A: Amazon S3 Standard, S3 Standard-IA, and Amazon Glacier storage classes redundantly store your objects on multiple devices across a minimum of three Availability Zones (AZs) in an Amazon S3 Region before returning SUCCESS. The S3 One Zone-IA storage class stores data redundantly across mutliple devices within a single AZ. These services are designed to sustain concurrent device failures by quickly detecting and repairing any lost redundancy, and they also regularly verify the integrity of your data using checksums.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.
Read all my FAQs (wedding, printing, lighting, books, etc)

mystik610
Cream of the Crop
9,953 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2012

May 18, 2018 05:26 |  #19

alex66 wrote in post #18627708 (external link)

I'd love to use amazon and get rid of backblaze is possible...mostly because as they start charging more and more for prime, I'm trying to find ways to use it more to justify the cost lol. Are raw files included in what amazon considers unlimited photo storage? And do automatically mirror a drive in the background or do I have to actively upload files to it?

Last line of defense in case of drive failure/loss is really what these cloud drives are for. I had a drive with a bunch of client files I was still processing, including a wedding, fail on me once. I was able to salvage the files from various other sources, but it was not cool at all. They're also a defense against our own stupidity....like how I accidentally deleted a huge swath of photos when migrating my local stuff to a larger local drive the other day. I was able to download them from backblaze, which was nice.

focalpointsphoto.com (external link) - flickr (external link) - Instagram (external link)
α7ʀIV - α7ʀIII
Sigma 14-24 f2.8 ART - Zeiss Loxia 21 - Sigma 35 f1.2 ART - Sony 35 1.8 - Sony/Zeiss 55 1.8 - Sony 85GM

alex66
247 posts
Joined Feb 2006

May 18, 2018 06:41 as a reply to  @ mystik610's post |  #20

Yes I mostly have Raw files on their service as I only shoot Raw and make a jpeg from that if needed.

Stuff
Feed Your Head

tim
Light Bringer
51,010 posts
Joined Nov 2004

May 18, 2018 19:12 |  #21

mystik610 wrote in post #18627748 (external link)
I'd love to use amazon and get rid of backblaze is possible...mostly because as they start charging more and more for prime, I'm trying to find ways to use it more to justify the cost lol. Are raw files included in what amazon considers unlimited photo storage? And do automatically mirror a drive in the background or do I have to actively upload files to it?

Last line of defense in case of drive failure/loss is really what these cloud drives are for. I had a drive with a bunch of client files I was still processing, including a wedding, fail on me once. I was able to salvage the files from various other sources, but it was not cool at all. They're also a defense against our own stupidity....like how I accidentally deleted a huge swath of photos when migrating my local stuff to a larger local drive the other day. I was able to download them from backblaze, which was nice.

When I was doing weddings I would keep the files on the cards until I had the original raw files in two locations. I also use a RAID mirror to prevent against drive failure.

Professional wedding photographer, solution architect and general technical guy with multiple Amazon Web Services certifications.

mystik610
Cream of the Crop
9,953 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2012

May 18, 2018 19:21 |  #22

tim wrote in post #18628115 (external link)
When I was doing weddings I would keep the files on the cards until I had the original raw files in two locations. I also use a RAID mirror to prevent against drive failure.

I do the same and was able to salvage the wedding files from SD cards, but it was a weird time when hurricane harvey hit us and my mother in law was getting cancer treatments so I was never home long enough to back-up my files to my redundant drive. It's sort those times when everything is going wrong that you want a cloud based drive.

focalpointsphoto.com (external link) - flickr (external link) - Instagram (external link)
α7ʀIV - α7ʀIII
Sigma 14-24 f2.8 ART - Zeiss Loxia 21 - Sigma 35 f1.2 ART - Sony 35 1.8 - Sony/Zeiss 55 1.8 - Sony 85GM

tim
Light Bringer
51,010 posts
Joined Nov 2004

May 18, 2018 20:50 |  #23

mystik610 wrote in post #18628120 (external link)
I do the same and was able to salvage the wedding files from SD cards, but it was a weird time when hurricane harvey hit us and my mother in law was getting cancer treatments so I was never home long enough to back-up my files to my redundant drive. It's sort those times when everything is going wrong that you want a cloud based drive.

That does sound like a challenging time. Yes it's also the time I would try to upload to the cloud, even if they were SOOC files converted to jpeg that's better than nothing.

klevin
Mostly Lurking
19 posts
Joined Sep 2008

May 24, 2018 08:43 |  #24

You should look for a service that offers a "seeded backup". Crashplan did this years back when I first started using them. For a reasonable fee (about $100) they'd send you a 1 TB drive to fill and send to them. Keep in mind this was at least 10 years ago, when upload speeds were slower (although I now live in a 1.5 MBPS DSL world :( )

I haven't researched it, but I suspect the pro-level services still offer this. No consumer plan does that I could find.

Also realize that Crashplan has exited the consumer biz. I now use their small biz option at 100/year

waltztj
51 posts
Joined Sep 2006

May 28, 2018 09:02 |  #25

I use downloader Pro when I D/L from the CF, as it will put it to the internal drive and 2 different external drives. Then Crashplan monitors the internal drive and takes the new files to the cloud. So I have a total of 4 copies of all my photos which are all raw. As for Lightroom cats they are on an external drive that is also monitored by Crashplan .

brassfootball66
Mostly Lurking
15 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined May 2016

May 31, 2018 12:03 |  #26

My solution is a 16TB external HD, connected to my main processing desktop computer and backed up to Backblaze continuously. I've only used 4TB of the 16TB available to me, with 100% of my RAW files, occasional TIFF files used to process a few shots and all the final JPEG. When I travel, I back up the SSD of my Surface Book to an external SSD and then transfer those to the WD as soon as I get home. My initial upload to Backblaze took around 2.5-weeks, with a 10-mip upload speed. I think of Backblaze as my "cold storage" and only access it to test the backup.

I also have almost all of my final JPEGs on Flickr, in full resolution. That essentially free tertiary backup.

Dave Stephens

kaitlyn2004
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,684 posts
Joined Oct 2009

May 31, 2018 13:59 |  #27

brassfootball66 wrote in post #18636556 (external link)
My solution is a 16TB external HD, connected to my main processing desktop computer and backed up to Backblaze continuously. I've only used 4TB of the 16TB available to me, with 100% of my RAW files, occasional TIFF files used to process a few shots and all the final JPEG. When I travel, I back up the SSD of my Surface Book to an external SSD and then transfer those to the WD as soon as I get home. My initial upload to Backblaze took around 2.5-weeks, with a 10-mip upload speed. I think of Backblaze as my "cold storage" and only access it to test the backup.

I also have almost all of my final JPEGs on Flickr, in full resolution. That essentially free tertiary backup.

I like everything about this except for the issue where the 16TB could be deleted if the external drive/computer is unavailable for long enough :(

My Landscape Photography Videos (external link)
My Instagram (external link)

brassfootball66
Mostly Lurking
15 posts
Gallery: 6 photos
Joined May 2016

Jun 01, 2018 13:39 |  #28

kaitlyn2004 wrote in post #18636644 (external link)
I like everything about this except for the issue where the 16TB could be deleted if the external drive/computer is unavailable for long enough :(

That is a realistic concern. I update the 16TB drive at least weekly and usually more often. In my current situation, it's not likely to sit dormant. The $50 per year deal only includes drives connected to one computer, so I keep the C and D-drives pretty clean, by constantly Copying the files to the 16TB drive.

Dave Stephens

sponsored links

4,094 views & 0 likes for this thread
Thought Backblaze would be a good addition to my backup, but maybe not?
FORUMS General Gear Talk Data Storage, Memory Cards & Backup 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.