Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 26 Feb 2018 (Monday) 00:58
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon EOS M50

EOS-Mike
Goldmember
1,033 posts
Gallery: 30 photos
Joined Oct 2013

May 30, 2018 14:23 as a reply to  @ post 18635919 |  #46

Thank you

Sony A7 III and some lenses

sponsored links
artsf
400 posts
Gallery: 73 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2015

May 30, 2018 20:35 |  #47

artsf wrote in post #18635919 (external link)
I beleive focus you can still select but not aperture or shutter speed. ISO - I’ll take a look tonight, most likely not.

You can select focus type, focus point including touch&drag, exposure comp, delayed shooting (2 and 10s) , touch shutter and that’s about it. It would still record raw file but you can’t change aperture, shutter speed, ISO, WB, etc. It allows MF with peaking though. With manual lens that has aperture ring you may be able to gain more control

Scott ­ M
Goldmember
3,208 posts
Gallery: 75 photos
Joined May 2008

Jun 01, 2018 20:52 |  #48

roseyposey wrote in post #18634950 (external link)
Interesting to read about this camera which I've been wondering about for a while. I don't do much video, but I had (still have a 70D but have lent it to a friend) and the one thing I missed most was the articulating LCD screen. I did miss a little bit the ability to do more than three shots for HDR, but soon got over that, as don't play with that all that much.

Does Lightroom 6 recognise the RAW files? That is probably the only thing holding me back now.

And does it take the same battery as the M5?

I just took advantage of a sale at B&H Photo to pick up the M50 as a replacement for my original EOS M, and the camera arrived this afternoon. I verified that Lightroom 6 does not recognize the RAW files from the M50. I have switched to DxO PhotoLab in lieu of moving to Adobe's subscription model for LR, and that currently doesn't recognize the RAW files, either. So, until DxO adds support to PhotoLab, I will have to use Canon's Digital Photo Professional to process the RAW files.

The M50 uses the same battery as the original M, which actually works out well for me, as I had two batteries for the M -- so now I have three for the M50. I purchased the kit with the EF-M 15-45mm, so I plan on selling my EF-M 18-55mm. The 15-45mm is more compact, and I prefer something a little wider on this type of camera, so the 15-45mm has a focal range that will better suit my use. I also have the EF-M 22mm f/2, and finally bought the EF to EF-M adapter, as it was only $50 extra (but it's currently on backorder). I doubt I will use my EF lenses much with the M50, but for that price it's nice to have the option.

This body will mainly be used for those times where I want to travel light and not bring along my 5D3, 7D2 and big lenses. The original EOS M produced quality photos, but it had a couple of limitations that impacted how I could use the camera. The lack of a viewfinder made it difficult to use outside, and I take a lot of landscape photos. Also, it's poor auto focus performance made it difficult to capture any subjects in motion. The M50 should solve those two issues for me.

Photo Gallery (external link)
Gear List

Dlee13
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,349 posts
Gallery: 635 photos
Joined Apr 2012

Jun 01, 2018 21:54 as a reply to  @ Scott M's post |  #49

Couldn't you just use Adobe DNG converter then use LR 6? I did that when LR didn't support my 6DII at release.

Sony Alpha A7III - Sony FE 35mm f/1.8 - Sony FE 90mm f/2.8 Macro
Sony FE 85mm f/1.8 - Sony FE 16-35mm f2.8 GM
Canon EOS M5 - Canon EF-M 32mm f/1.4 - Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 - Canon 50mm f/1.8 STM

Website (external link) / flickr (external link) | Twitter (external link)

artsf
400 posts
Gallery: 73 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2015
Post edited over 1 year ago by artsf.

Jun 01, 2018 22:00 |  #50

Scott M wrote in post #18637465 (external link)
I just took advantage of a sale at B&H Photo to pick up the M50 as a replacement for my original EOS M, and the camera arrived this afternoon. I verified that Lightroom 6 does not recognize the RAW files from the M50. I have switched to DxO PhotoLab in lieu of moving to Adobe's subscription model for LR, and that currently doesn't recognize the RAW files, either. So, until DxO adds support to PhotoLab, I will have to use Canon's Digital Photo Professional to process the RAW files.

The M50 uses the same battery as the original M, which actually works out well for me, as I had two batteries for the M -- so now I have three for the M50. I purchased the kit with the EF-M 15-45mm, so I plan on selling my EF-M 18-55mm. The 15-45mm is more compact, and I prefer something a little wider on this type of camera, so the 15-45mm has a focal range that will better suit my use. I also have the EF-M 22mm f/2, and finally bought the EF to EF-M adapter, as it was only $50 extra (but it's currently on backorder). I doubt I will use my EF lenses much with the M50, but for that price it's nice to have the option.

This body will mainly be used for those times where I want to travel light and not bring along my 5D3, 7D2 and big lenses. The original EOS M produced quality photos, but it had a couple of limitations that impacted how I could use the camera. The lack of a viewfinder made it difficult to use outside, and I take a lot of landscape photos. Also, it's poor auto focus performance made it difficult to capture any subjects in motion. The M50 should solve those two issues for me.

I got EF-M adapter becaue 5div was the only camera I had with no backup or second body for anything. I actually acquired the nifty fifty STM for M50 and even with the adapter it is very compact and lightweight. It works very well for video. That lens never did anything for me for pictures (I am too spoiled by L glass) but it can produce good results in certain consitions. If Canon will release the rumored 32mm f1.4, I would definately be interested in that.

roseyposey
Goldmember
4,850 posts
Gallery: 26 photos
Joined Oct 2011

Jun 01, 2018 23:48 |  #51

Dlee13 wrote in post #18637489 (external link)
Couldn't you just use Adobe DNG converter then use LR 6? I did that when LR didn't support my 6DII at release.

Is that very time consuming?

Panasonic G9: Lenses covering 8 - 300mm
Canon M5: A variety of Canon, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina, prime and zoom lenses, Samyang fisheye, 2 lovely Minolta MD, just for fun a Helios 44-2 58m - and adapters.
Rose
http://www.flickr.com/​photos/rose_mcgillicud​dy/ (external link)
"Dance among the moonbeams, feel the magic in the air."

Dlee13
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,349 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jun 02, 2018 00:42 |  #52

roseyposey wrote in post #18637531 (external link)
Is that very time consuming?

It's not VERY time consuming but not as easy as letting LR do it for you automatically when you import it.

You pretty much select the files you want to convert then the destination folder and let it do its thing. If you don't want to change software or pay for the CC subscription then it could definitely be worth it for you :)

Canon EOS M5 - Canon EF-M 32mm f/1.4 - Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 - Canon 50mm f/1.8 STM

roseyposey
Goldmember
4,850 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Jun 02, 2018 00:50 |  #53

Dlee13 wrote in post #18637549 (external link)
It's not VERY time consuming but not as easy as letting LR do it for you automatically when you import it.

You pretty much select the files you want to convert then the destination folder and let it do its thing. If you don't want to change software or pay for the CC subscription then it could definitely be worth it for you :)

I had a look at the website ... just another step. Not keen on CC subscription as don't need Photoshop, as have PSE 18 and don't use it enough to warrant changing back to the subscription model. Not sure I can justify the M50 over the M5, but I do miss the articulating screen.

Canon M5: A variety of Canon, Sigma, Tamron, Tokina, prime and zoom lenses, Samyang fisheye, 2 lovely Minolta MD, just for fun a Helios 44-2 58m - and adapters.
Rose

Dlee13
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,349 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jun 02, 2018 01:43 |  #54

roseyposey wrote in post #18637550 (external link)
I had a look at the website ... just another step. Not keen on CC subscription as don't need Photoshop, as have PSE 18 and don't use it enough to warrant changing back to the subscription model. Not sure I can justify the M50 over the M5, but I do miss the articulating screen.

The articulating screen is definitely an underrated feature. I'm loving my A73 but really miss the articulating screen from my 6D2.

I was against paying for CC and used a different way to get LR and PS but I got sick of waiting for updates when getting new gear and liked all my settings being saved so ended up buying CC and don't regret it.

roseyposey
Goldmember
4,850 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Jun 02, 2018 02:19 |  #55

Dlee13 wrote in post #18637566 (external link)
The articulating screen is definitely an underrated feature. I'm loving my A73 but really miss the articulating screen from my 6D2.

I was against paying for CC and used a different way to get LR and PS but I got sick of waiting for updates when getting new gear and liked all my settings being saved so ended up buying CC and don't regret it.

Is that Lightroom? I didn't realise you get it without PS

Rose

Dlee13
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,349 posts
Joined Apr 2012

Jun 02, 2018 03:06 |  #56

roseyposey wrote in post #18637574 (external link)
Is that Lightroom? I didn't realise you get it without PS

Na I get both. I could honestly just use PS and be fine since I don't use the catalogues in LR but I just like the interface better in LR.

roseyposey
Goldmember
4,850 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Jun 02, 2018 03:18 |  #57

Dlee13 wrote in post #18637582 (external link)
Na I get both. I could honestly just use PS and be fine since I don't use the catalogues in LR but I just like the interface better in LR.

As a base amateur and due to retire in next few years am looking to reduce costs so can't really justify it. Am still interested in having th M50 though, for the articlating screen, but it is probably not a good enough reason to spend money

Rose

WA ­ Tiger
656 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Jun 02, 2018 07:43 |  #58

WA Tiger wrote in post #18635726 (external link)
So I am going for this lot, any overkill with the lenses? What are peoples thoughts on the 150mm compared to the 200mm lens, apart from focal length and apetture?

Canon EOS M50 Mirrorless Camera Single kit
EFM 15-45mm STM
Canon EF-M 18-150mm f/3.5-6.3 IS STM Lens
Canon EF-M 11-22mm f/4-5.6 IS STM Lens
Canon EF-M 22mm f/2 STM Lens
Canon EF-M 28mm f/3.5 Macro IS STM Lens

So any feedback?

roseyposey
Goldmember
4,850 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Jun 02, 2018 07:51 |  #59

WA Tiger wrote in post #18637639 (external link)
So any feedback?

So with the EF-M 5 i use on a pretty much daily basis the 15-45 and have been surprised at the results for a kit lens. I also have the 22 f/2 which is an amazing lens, although I don't use it that much. Depends what I am shooting I guess.

The 55 - 200 is great for the price,

Rose

roseyposey
Goldmember
4,850 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Jun 02, 2018 07:53 |  #60

I also have the adpter and from to time use my EF-S lenses.

Rose

sponsored links

123,792 views & 744 likes for this thread
Canon EOS M50
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.