Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands 
Thread started 15 Aug 2017 (Tuesday) 13:49
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Just tried the OM E-Mk1 Mark II

Lyndön
Goldmember
2,120 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2008

Apr 30, 2018 21:57 |  #16

I actually came from the exact same Canon DSLR progression 1D3 to 5D3 + 7D2, then adding the OM-D E-M1 II. I’m constantly amazed at how well it performs.

Sure the DOF isn’t crazy shallow like full frame, but you certainly can achieve shallow DOF and subject separation for a similar look. Honestly, I’ve had more issues with slightly missing focus and having too shallow DOF in the past on FF with lenses like the 85L II and 50 1.4, so a little more isn’t always a bad thing for me. It lacks a bit in sports shooting in terms of subject tracking, but it’s no slouch... especially considering it’s only a 2nd gen product. They’ve already improved it with firmware updates and I’m sure they’ll continue to do so. Part of that is also inexperience with the system on my part I’m sure, since I’m much more used to shooting my 5D3/7D2 with good glass (70-200 II, 300 2.8 IS). Unfortunately the 40-150 2.8 PRO won’t give you the same separation as the EF 300 2.8 IS, but it does give you the same field of view and takes the Oly 1.4x TC extremely well. Battery life on the EM1 II is a non-issue since they went to the bigger battery. It lasts a long time now. It is an issue with the older/smaller batteries like in my wife’s EM10 II, so we have plenty of spares for her camera.

I actually used the EM1 II for my first paid shoot just last week after getting used to it for about 6 months. It’s convinced me that mirrorless is the future since it’s so much more advanced than my Canon DSLR’s at this point. I shot softball individial/team pics outdoors at 11am, which means blazing sun. The back LCD was nearly impossible to read and I needed to see the review photo clearly since I was using strobes. The EM1 II handled it amazingly well, with face detect nailing the focus on their faces every time and the ability to review the photo in the EVF made it super quick and easy to make adjustments and get some nice shots of the girls.

GEAR LIST

raptor3x
727 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Aug 2011
Post edited 6 months ago by raptor3x.

May 01, 2018 12:08 |  #17

Lyndön wrote in post #18617121 (external link)
I actually used the EM1 II for my first paid shoot just last week after getting used to it for about 6 months. It’s convinced me that mirrorless is the future since it’s so much more advanced than my Canon DSLR’s at this point. I shot softball individial/team pics outdoors at 11am, which means blazing sun. The back LCD was nearly impossible to read and I needed to see the review photo clearly since I was using strobes. The EM1 II handled it amazingly well, with face detect nailing the focus on their faces every time and the ability to review the photo in the EVF made it super quick and easy to make adjustments and get some nice shots of the girls.

Agree that the E-M1ii screen is pretty much impossible to see in bright sunlight. I think this is an area where Canon beats pretty much everybody, their antireflective coating for the rear LCD seems to be a step above everyone else.

Bodies: X-T1, E-M1, E-M1ii Lenses: µ.Z 7-14 2.8, µ.Z 12-40 2.8, µ.Z 25 1.2, X 18-55 2.8-4, µ.Z 40-150 2.8, µ.Z 45 1.2, µ.Z 60 2.8, µ.Z 75 1.8, Z 150 2.0, µ.Z 300 4.0

drewhh
269 posts
Gallery: 15 photos
Joined Apr 2011

Jun 02, 2018 05:36 |  #18

I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the badass features packed in the EM1.2. I'm a wildlife photographer and use the pro cap mode all the time. Bears catching salmon is a snap. Birds taking off? no problem. I just used the composite image thing to make some super easy star trails. The hi res mode was great for some macro stuff i did for a museum. Not to mention focus stacking.

with the 7-14 2.8 i've used it for aurora with impressive results and liked that it processed my timelapses so i didn't have to do it. Maybe it makes me lazy. i've switched to a sony a7sii for aurora but if they come out with a 12mm 1.2 i might have to go back bcause the battery life is so much better than the sony.

Never had a problem with the focus not being fast enough. Sometimes the camera doesn't turn on fast enough.

Although shooting handheld at ridiculous frame rates with the 600 mm equivalent (or 830 with the 1.4x) is like driving a ferrari on ice (or what i imagine that to be like).

I'm not stoked on the build quality as i'm pretty hard on gear but the weather sealing has held up and saved my butt more than once.

switched to olympus

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

3,616 views & 14 likes for this thread
Just tried the OM E-Mk1 Mark II
FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.