Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS News & Rumors Lens Rumors and Predictions 
Thread started 02 Dec 2017 (Saturday) 02:34
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Maybe finally? EF 135L f/2L IS USM coming in 2018

fordmondeo
Goldmember
1,048 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Sep 2007

Apr 25, 2018 13:38 |  #46

It matters not if canon update a classic or not. A good lens is always a good lens and if it is true (in a fanboys dreams) then it will most certainly better, as with ALL canons latest revamps..

The likes of sigma are just cheap knockoff versions of quality optics.

Gotta love these types that brag about stuff based on internet reviews then try and back it up with "I've tried them all, blah, blah, bah."

And

"I'm a pro, blah, blah, blah.."

Spare me!

Vaginator9000

sponsored links
Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
12,442 posts
Gallery: 140 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Apr 25, 2018 13:54 |  #47

fordmondeo wrote in post #18613352 (external link)
n

That used to be true, years ago. . Now, however, it isn't really the case so much as it was then.

These days, in some instances, the Sigma lens is actually better than the Canon "L" equivalent.

In other cases, Sigma makes something for which there is no Canon equivalent, such as with my 300-800mm f5.6 zoom.

But there is some truth in what you say, in that Sigma "knocks off" other manufacturers' lenses by so often making a lens in the exact same focal length and aperture.

So yes, there are times when Sigma looks like they are being innovative by making something that doesn't already exist. . But then there are other times when they just make something that Canon is already making, and at those times they look like they are just trying to make a cheaper version to get sales based on the tendencies of price-conscious customers. . I wish they wouldn't do that.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

DaviSto
... sorry. I got carried away!
1,927 posts
Gallery: 56 photos
Joined Nov 2016

Apr 25, 2018 14:45 as a reply to  @ Tom Reichner's post |  #48

My views on Sigma are, unfortunately, permanently discoloured by my experience 30 or so years ago. Just because an item is cheap doesn't mean it isn't filthily overpriced!

I will be six-feet under before Sigma gets it's first shot at redemption. Unfortunately, I will by then also no longer have access to my bank accounts.

David.
Comment and (constructive) criticism always welcome.

smythie
I wasn't even trying
3,657 posts
Gallery: 30 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Apr 27, 2018 16:54 |  #49

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18613359 (external link)
So yes, there are times when Sigma looks like they are being innovative by making something that doesn't already exist. But then there are other times when they just make something that Canon is already making, and at those times they look like they are just trying to make a cheaper version to get sales based on the tendencies of price-conscious customers. I wish they wouldn't do that.

You seem to be forgetting they have their own line of bodies to build lenses for. They're not just building lenses to be cheaper than Canon - they're building to cover useable ranges on their own system. We consumers using Canon, Nikon and Sony gear are fortunate that Sigma modify those lenses to the more popular lens mounts to give us choice and drive innovation from the competition. You can be pretty certain that Canon had no intention of doing anything with the 35L until Sigma dropped the 35Art and optically blew the Canon out of the water.

Gear List

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
12,442 posts
Gallery: 140 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Apr 28, 2018 14:44 |  #50

smythie wrote in post #18614894 (external link)
You seem to be forgetting they have their own line of bodies to build lenses for. They're not just building lenses to be cheaper than Canon - they're building to cover useable ranges on their own system.

That's just a little thing they do on the side.

The main objective of their business is to sell lenses to people to use on their Canon and Nikon and Sony cameras. . That's really what they're all about, and what they've always been all about.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

agv8or
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,150 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Oct 2006

Apr 29, 2018 17:55 |  #51

smythie wrote in post #18614894 (external link)
You can be pretty certain that Canon had no intention of doing anything with the 35L until Sigma dropped the 35Art and optically blew the Canon out of the water.

Wished Canon would remember that and do the same with the 135L. ;-)a

The 35L II was in development long before Sigma released the 35 art. Companies like Canon don't make reactionary business decisions and I doubt Canon is swayed very much by what their competitors do. Canon is making decisions years in advance with research, development and gearing up for production long before their competitors DROP anything. Companies like Canon are either leading the way or they're improving and upgrading existing products.

Rand

Gear

PNPhotography
781 posts
Gallery: 9 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jun 03, 2018 07:42 |  #52

Charlie wrote in post #18527978 (external link)
ignorance is bliss :lol:

Considering that the sigma 135 is one of the sharpest lenses on the market, it makes the L seem real old. The L aint bad, but the sigma is clearly in a different league. The sigma wide open @ 1.8 feels like the Canon @ f4, it's an incredible optic, and in that sense, I find it a great value. It's a bonafide super optic.

Boy I don't know about this Charlie,I have both the canon 135L and the Siggy 135 for my Nikon and honestly I think I like my Canon 135 better.The colors defiantly are better on the Canon,The siggy's colors are kinda cold to me.As far as sharpness I really don't notice much difference between the two.Of course there's the weight difference too.

6D|7D|7DMKII|Nikon D750|Nikon 85 F1.8|Nikon D5500|G15| Gripped|300F4|35F2IS|8​5 F1.8|135L F2|200L F2.8|17-55 F2.8|70-200L F2.8 MKII|430EX|
https://www.facebook.c​om …2755174446/?ref​=bookmarks (external link)

Choderboy
I Chimp, therefore I am
5,202 posts
Gallery: 97 photos
Joined Jul 2005

Jun 03, 2018 11:09 |  #53

fordmondeo wrote in post #18613352 (external link)
It matters not if canon update a classic or not. A good lens is always a good lens and if it is true (in a fanboys dreams) then it will most certainly better, as with ALL canons latest revamps..

Gotta love these types that brag about stuff based on internet reviews then try and back it up with "I've tried them all, blah, blah, bah."

And

"I'm a pro, blah, blah, blah.."

Spare me!

Cheap knockoff!
Who did they knock this one off?
https://www.bhphotovid​eo.com …00_500mm_f_2_8_​EX_DG.html (external link)

Or the 120-300 2.8. Or the 300-800 5.6. Unique, quality and definitely not cheap.

Dave
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/12185187@N00/ (external link)
1DX2, 1D4, 1DS2. Canon, Sigma lenses
Image editing OK

aezoss
412 posts
Gallery: 63 photos
Joined Nov 2013

Jun 04, 2018 01:00 |  #54

texshooter wrote in post #18612835 (external link)
Image stabilization is so overrated.

I shot a deer at dusk with my 7D2 + 100-400 II, ISO3200, f/5.6, 400mm, 1/40, handheld and the images are pretty darn sharp. Much better than I expected.

My hands are permanently caffeinated. Shaky as hell. Turn the IS off and it's plain as day; focus point bouncing all the place. IS on and you'd swear I was a surgeon.

I'd love a 135 f2 IS. The sole reason I haven't purchased the current Canon 135 is the IS on the 70-200 II is rock solid and that stop of aperture won't offset what IS provides. I do like the smaller dimensions of the 135. Without the lens hood it's a nice walk around lens.

My experience is IS = gift from god.

YMMV

Ah-keong
793 posts
Gallery: 45 photos
Joined Apr 2016

Jun 04, 2018 20:52 |  #55

different optics design (and maybe coating) render differently.

But looking at the 85mm f/1,4L IS and the 85mm f/1,2.

I do wish the "135mm f/1,8L IS" would arrive soon with the "50mm f/1,4L IS"  :p

Canon 7D Mark II | BG-E16 | Canon EF-S 10-18mm | Sigma DC 18-35mm ART | Canon EF 70-200mm f/2,8L IS II | Zeiss Makro-Planar T* 2/100mm ZE | Zeiss Distagon T* 2/35mm ZE
Canon Speedlite 430EX III-RT | 600EX-RT
Olympus E-PL3 | M.Zuiko ED 7-14mm PRO
Manfrotto BeFree Travel Tripod |

sponsored links

4,129 views & 26 likes for this thread
Maybe finally? EF 135L f/2L IS USM coming in 2018
FORUMS News & Rumors Lens Rumors and Predictions 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.