Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
Thread started 09 Oct 2017 (Monday) 05:06
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Talk to me about the 6D as a wedding camera.

Nismode
Goldmember
1,832 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jun 02, 2018 19:40 |  #46

So if the thousands of dollars filming with DSLR'S, how do they make it work with one card recording?

Frankly I think the whole one card excuse is weak to not recommend a very capable camera.

flickr (external link)|ModelMayhem (external link)|Instagram (external link)
EOS R (x2)|EOS RP|Mavic Air|Mavic 2 Zoom
Σ12-24mm II|Tokina 11-16mm f/2.8|40mm f/2.8 STM|50mm f/1.8 STM
100mm f/2.8L IS Macro|Σ150mm f/2.8 Macro OS
Godox AD600|Godox AD-200 (x2)|V860 II (x2)|V350c

sponsored links
Marm ­ O. ­ Set
Goldmember
2,098 posts
Joined Dec 2011
Post edited over 2 years ago by Marm O. Set.

Jun 02, 2018 22:54 |  #47

The 6D is a perfectly capable camera for shooting a wedding. It just boils down to how much liability you are willing to accept. For me, I won't shoot a wedding unless I can Record to Multiple on at least the main camera. The second body doesn't have to be dual slot... I had a 7D mark 1 as a second body for a while. It did fine. I definitely did not use it for certain things like the first kiss but I used it and it did fine.

The way I see it, wedding photogs are paid to make sure they get the shot no matter what. Dual card slots helps protect against some of the “no matter what.”

And as for the filming/single card slot comment... not all recording is done internally ;)

George ­ Zip
THREAD ­ STARTER
My neighbours are looking at me a bit strangely
1,394 posts
Gallery: 31 photos
Joined Aug 2015
Post edited over 2 years ago by George Zip.

Jun 02, 2018 23:33 |  #48

I should have said... I personally have no issue with a camera being capable if it has one card. It makes no sense to say it can not do it.

The issue as I said is that cameras have existed with 2 card slots for a long time. Back before it was an option you could viably go to a client and say you had a failure and while it was not desirable sometimes things just happen outside of your control. But now the technology has existed I think you are asking for potential trouble if you are a professional and trade as such. Using the example a few posts back I typed out...why risk your career and reputation. I see it like professional idemnity or public liability insurance. It is unlikely we will ever use it but we pay the damn fees every year.

I shoot with big cards so I do not have to swap them out. I see this as the weak point in the system. Say you swap a card and some goose knocks you and it gets damaged, or you misplace it in the heat of the shoot or or or.... for me it is just one less thing to have to worry about and allows me to concentrate on doing the job properly.

I like to transfer the images via the SD card straight into the computer and I leave the CF card in the Camera until the next week before I format it and go again. I just see it as another safeguard in the workflow.

But I am paranoid with data by nature. I spent 9 years in IT for business and the lengths we went to with data security and integrity makes te debate about using two card cameras look kinda silly.

Also I just ask myself would I want my professional photographer for my wedding to leave no stone unturned when it came to ensuring that photographer could deliver images.

Maureen ­ Souza
Ms. MODERATOR     Something Spectacular!
33,716 posts
Gallery: 8 photos
Joined Feb 2005
Post edited over 2 years ago by Maureen Souza.

Jun 03, 2018 13:51 |  #49

Moved out of the photo sharing section to the talk genre.

Life is hard...but I just take it one photograph at a time.

5DMK4
7DMK2
Canon Lenses: 50/1.4, 135/2.0, 100-400mm II, 24-70/2.8 II

medd63
438 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Feb 2014

Jun 05, 2018 15:48 as a reply to  @ George Zip's post |  #50

I like to transfer the images via the SD card straight into the computer and I leave the CF card in the Camera until the next week before I format it and go again. I just see it as another safeguard in the workflow.

But I am paranoid with data by nature.

If you were that concerned you would use new cards for each event. I’m not a pro, but I can’t imagine a professional reusing memory cards. If some of the pro wedding photographers pipe up and say they reuse cards, I would be shocked.

6D, 7D2, T4i, 16-35mm f/4L IS, 100mm Macro f/2.8L IS, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS, 50mm f/1.4 IS, EF-S 55-250, 1.4 II TC, Kenko Extension Tubes, MeFoto Globetrotter & Roadtrip Tripods, Lightroom CC, Photoshop CC

philodelphi
Goldmember
1,212 posts
Gallery: 50 photos
Joined May 2008

Jun 05, 2018 19:47 as a reply to  @ medd63's post |  #51

Wat? You're saying that a professional gets new memory cards for each job?

Sony DSC-RX100M2 α7R III / ILCE-7RM3 Cyber-shot DSC-RX10 IV | Voigtlander 65mm F2 Macro APO-Lanthar | Venus Optics Laowa 15mm f/4 Macro | Sony FE 24-240mm F3.5-6.3 OSS Sonnar T* FE 55mm F1.8 ZA FE 24mm f/1.4 GM | Samyang 35mm f/1.4 ED AS UMC | Canon MP-E 65mm f/2.8 1-5x Macro Photo EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM | Sigma 100-400mm f/5-6.3 DG OS HSM | Tokina Firin 20mm f/2 FE MF | Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 Di III RXD

medd63
438 posts
Joined Feb 2014

Jun 06, 2018 09:16 as a reply to  @ philodelphi's post |  #52

I'm saying a professional SHOULD get new cards for everyjob. He is a professional. I'm sure if he was using FILM he would keep all the negatives from every job. Why would a professional throw away (erase) his originals?

If they are charging thousands to photograph a wedding, the cost of a few cards should be built in to their price.

Memory is cheap!

6D, 7D2, T4i, 16-35mm f/4L IS, 100mm Macro f/2.8L IS, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS, 50mm f/1.4 IS, EF-S 55-250, 1.4 II TC, Kenko Extension Tubes, MeFoto Globetrotter & Roadtrip Tripods, Lightroom CC, Photoshop CC

digirebelva
Goldmember
3,990 posts
Gallery: 370 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Jun 06, 2018 12:50 |  #53

medd63 wrote:
=medd63;18640203Why would a professional throw away (erase) his originals?!

Their "Originals" should be saved in at least 2 other places...so erasing the card AFTER said verified backup isnt throwing away a single thing...bad analogy trying to comapre that to film negatives..

EOS 6d, 7dMKII, Tokina 11-16, Tokina 16-28, Sigma 70-200mm F/2.8, Sigma 17-50 F/2.8, Canon 24-70mm F/2.8L, Canon 70-200 F/2.8L, Mixed Speedlites and other stuff.

When it ceases to be fun, it will be time to walk away
Website (external link) | Fine Art America (external link)

medd63
438 posts
Joined Feb 2014

Jun 06, 2018 17:22 |  #54

Well - I am not a professional. I'm an amateur/hobbyist landscape photograpger. But for every trip my wife and I take we buy new cards.

For our Alaska trip we bought new cards for each DAY of the trip, for 3 cameras.

Like I said - Memory is cheap. A pro should be able to access his original cards anytime he needs to. But of course, this is all just my opinion - like I said. I am not a professionally paid wedding photographer.

Perhaps film was a bad analogy. How about a recording studio destroying the MASTER audio tapes, once several digital copies had been made?

Ah-keong
Goldmember
1,194 posts
Gallery: 119 photos
Joined Apr 2016

Jun 06, 2018 21:14 |  #55

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18609818 (external link)
I like shooting weddings with 2 dual card cameras with different crop factors. :) But then I complicate matters by having different FL lenses. :(

I figure if I lose files this way, I shouldn't put myself out there as an event shooter, sell all my gear, and get a good point and shoot.

I thought of getting a 1D X mark II and a 7D mark II.
But then I wonder the crop would get in the way, when you bring say
a) 35mm (~56mm)
b) 50mm (~80mm)
c) 85mm (~136mm)
d) 100mm (~160mm)
e) 70-200mm (~112-320mm)

Canon RP | 7D2+grip | EF 70-200mm f/2,8L IS II | Tamron 24-70mm f/2,8 VC G2 | ZE 2/100mm | ZE 2/35mm | ZE 1,4/85mm | CV 3,5/20mm Skopar | CV 1,4/58mm Nokton | Micro-Nikkor 60mm f/2,8D | DC-Nikkor 105mm f/2D |
Speedlite 430EX III-RT | 600EX-RT | YN 600EX-RT |
Manfrotto BeFree Travel Tripod |

scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
7,402 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Jun 07, 2018 05:23 |  #56

medd63 wrote in post #18640203 (external link)
I'm saying a professional SHOULD get new cards for everyjob. He is a professional. I'm sure if he was using FILM he would keep all the negatives from every job. Why would a professional throw away (erase) his originals?

If they are charging thousands to photograph a wedding, the cost of a few cards should be built in to their price.

Memory is cheap!

Memory is cheap but I would rather use a card that I used before. I feel nervous using a brand new card

www.steelcityphotograp​hy.com (external link)

Silver-Halide
838 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2015

Jun 07, 2018 10:20 |  #57

I've had the privilege of shooting with many colleagues in my town. I've never heard of anyone buying new cards for each wedding.

Echoes in Eternity LLC | Tucson and Southern Arizona Wedding Photographer (external link)

scorpio_e
Cream of the Crop
7,402 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Aug 2007

Jun 07, 2018 12:59 |  #58

Silver-Halide wrote in post #18640833 (external link)
I've had the privilege of shooting with many colleagues in my town. I've never heard of anyone buying new cards for each wedding.

I have heard of it before but I do not agree with it.

www.steelcityphotograp​hy.com (external link)

digirebelva
Goldmember
3,990 posts
Gallery: 370 photos
Joined Mar 2008
Post edited over 2 years ago by digirebelva.

Jun 07, 2018 14:06 as a reply to  @ medd63's post |  #59

"A pro should be able to access his original cards anytime he needs to"

Up until you can't...digital media has a finite lifespan..even memory cards that aren't used..

And if they are backed up as they should be, for what purpose..?

A full-time wedding photographer can shoot anywhere from 15 to 35 or more weddings a year with 2 cameras, plus other non-wedding sessions...if they were to use a new card for both cameras plus a new card for each non-wedding session....do the math..anywhere from 30 to well over 200 cards a year. (and every year they are in business)..seriously?
yes, digital storage may be cheap, but someone would have to catalog all those cards, some sort of physical storage (multiple) would need to be purchased (preferably fire-proof). Storage space must be accounted for etc..Basically, going back to how film photographers used to catalog their negatives in filing cabinets back in the day.. No thank you..

Ive successfully used both CF and SD cards for multiple events/outings for years without losing a single image...as I know many others have as well..I have had 1 CF card corrupt on me in 10 years while downloading landscape images, but was able to format it, and recover all the images on it. THAT card subsequently went into the trash..

It's your money, spend it as you see fit.

EOS 6d, 7dMKII, Tokina 11-16, Tokina 16-28, Sigma 70-200mm F/2.8, Sigma 17-50 F/2.8, Canon 24-70mm F/2.8L, Canon 70-200 F/2.8L, Mixed Speedlites and other stuff.

When it ceases to be fun, it will be time to walk away
Website (external link) | Fine Art America (external link)

rdenney
Rick "who is not suited for any one title" Denney
2,400 posts
Joined Jun 2003

Jun 07, 2018 15:48 |  #60

What a topic to mark my return to POTN after many years. As it happens, I've been pondering this topic of late.

After years of doing weddings with a 5D and a 5DII, I'm switching to a Pentax 645z. But not because of the dual cards. I've never had a card failure, but I suppose it happens about as often as Kodak sells a roll of film with no emulsion on it (which has happened to me). Also, my wife and I work together, and back each other up with different cameras. Her shots won't be as formally composed as mine, but will record all the events so we won't have a gap.

I will certainly focus and recompose with the Pentax, just as I have always done with my Canons (and the 5DII will still be my backup camera). I'm not sure I've ever had my Canons set to continuous exposures. I'm old-school--anticipation is better than motor drives.

This would be my only hesitation with a 6D, and I'm not even sure how often it's relevant. But it has been my experience that an amateur-looking camera does not command attention. The Canon with a battery grip was a bit more imposing than the Digital Rebel being used by Uncle Harry, but it's nothing like a medium-format camera for telling everyone in the group whose instructions they are to follow. Years ago I gave up the notion that a photographer can prevent the Uncle Harrys from hanging over his shoulder. By the way, that's why my flashes are always on the B channel (and, yes, optical slaving works fine for me). If I used a 6D, I would dress it up with a substantial flash bracket and maybe an external battery. Uncle Harry's Digital Rebel won't have coiled cords. ;-)a

Oh, and I absolutely reuse my memory cards. I never walk into a wedding gig with electronics that have not been solidly proven. But I have very robust daily network backups onto a 20TB backup server, and also make archive copies on USB external drives for off-site storage. And I give JPGs of the delivered images to the client on a thumb drive, along with the album.

Rick "for whom a 6D may be the next Canon" Denney

The List

sponsored links

20,630 views & 50 likes for this thread
Talk to me about the 6D as a wedding camera.
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre Weddings & Other Family Events Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.