Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 06 Jun 2018 (Wednesday) 10:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

New Version - NIK Collection 2018 from DXO

Pete328
23 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jun 06, 2018 10:20 |  #1

News release from DXO is no longer free (surprise). More info here:

https://nikcollection.​dxo.com/ (external link)

Pete

sponsored links
gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
54,824 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jun 06, 2018 10:44 |  #2

Not a bad deal for 49.99. Doesn't look like much has changed from the free version though. NIK has been working perfectly for me so I'm not sure if the upgrade makes sense for me at the moment.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

MCAsan
Goldmember
3,797 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jun 06, 2018 13:20 |  #3

Remember the original Collection version was a lot more than $69 before Google took over Nik and abandoned the Collection.

gossamer88
"something else"
1,040 posts
Gallery: 66 photos
Joined Aug 2014

Jun 06, 2018 13:21 |  #4

The Silver effects was the best. But i too do not feel the need to upgrade. I'll wait for some reviews.

Canon 5D Mark IV | Tamron 24-70mm G2 | Tamron 70-200mm G2 | 85mm 1.8 | 50mm STM | 35mm f/2 IS | Powershot G9 X | iPhone 7
flickr (external link)

aliengin
Goldmember
1,156 posts
Joined Mar 2011

Jun 06, 2018 15:26 |  #5

I got the "new" version installed it but looks like there is not much changed other than working with the latest Mac OS. Now I can apply and save as a new layer. Before this option was giving error.
Looks like future is still not so bright with DXO either
https://www.digitaltre​nds.com …phy/dxo-one-discontinued/ (external link)

Ali Engin Photography (external link)

Picture ­ North ­ Carolina
Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
9,108 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Jun 07, 2018 09:48 |  #6

gjl711 wrote in post #18640249 (external link)
Doesn't look like much has changed from the free version though. NIK has been working perfectly for me so I'm not sure if the upgrade makes sense for me at the moment.

Ditto. I have PS CC; but the NIK suite is on another machine with PSCS5. Works perfectly. Not using NIK as much nowadays... Topaz is better (IMHO). Still, when they upgrade the features I may purchase it. And agree - Silver Efex is worth the price by itself. Thanks for the heads-up.

Website (external link) |

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
54,824 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jun 07, 2018 09:56 |  #7

I have been using NIK with PS CC without issue. I know it's not officially supported and have heard some are having issues, but I don't seem to be one of them and it is an integral part of my work flow. We'll have to see what they do with it going forward.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

lukasgunar
298 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Mar 2007

Jun 07, 2018 10:17 |  #8

Hi all,
I was excited to see the announcement yesterday so immediately I asked 2 questions to DXO Support team, namely:

1. What has changed in comparison to previous Nik Plugins?
2. Can I have installed both versions of plugins, the ones which I bought previously from Google and the ones from DXO?

And the answers from DXO are:

1. The plugins are the same, however, they have been optimized and are now fully compatible with the latest systems and Adobe products.
2. It is better to uninstall your old version in order to avoid duplicates in plugins

So there is nothing new however I had some issues with former Nik plugins on my Mac's retina display (some plugins did not support the resolution of my Mac's retina display so it was nearly impossible to do the tweaks or some had really bad performance, specially Color Efex Pro when applying more filters at the same time).

So definitely worth trying at least for Mac users. I will try trial version when time allows me so to see whether the improvements are really there for me.

Those are my 2 cents.

lukas

Canon EOS 5D MkIV, Canon EOS 30D

Canon 16-35 f/4L IS, Canon 17-40 f/4L, Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM, Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, Canon EF 50mm f/1.4, Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM, Canon Speedlite 580EXII

Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
9,108 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Jun 07, 2018 10:55 |  #9

lukasgunar wrote in post #18640832 (external link)
2. Can I have installed both versions of plugins, the ones which I bought previously from Google and the ones from DXO?

Which brings up a question. Has anybody asked DXO:

If a previous version was purchased from Google, and proof of purchase can be supplied, will DXO offer a lower-cost upgrade to those users?

MCAsan
Goldmember
3,797 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jun 07, 2018 11:05 as a reply to  @ Picture North Carolina's post |  #10

What did they say when you asked?

kirkt
Cream of the Crop
5,738 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Jun 07, 2018 14:22 |  #11

Someone on the DxO forum asked the same thing and there was no response from DxO. I would think the answer is "no." However, the price is reasonable, especially if you (like me) purchased the Nik Suite back when it cost $$$. Also, just save the Google installer and your old license info - you can always uninstall the DxO version after you try it and revert to the Google version.

I think this DxO introduction is basically rebranding (DxO logos) and squashing the big, long-term bugs like crashing on the Mac with smart objects, etc. In that sense, it may be worthwhile to get in on the ground floor, so to speak, with the supported DxO version for a low price.

kirk

Kirk
---

Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
9,108 posts
Joined Apr 2006
Post edited 9 months ago by Picture North Carolina. (3 edits in all)

Jun 07, 2018 22:12 |  #12

kirkt wrote in post #18640958 (external link)
Someone on the DxO forum asked the same thing and there was no response from DxO.

I agree with this and I would not answer either (commit the company).

I think any special upgrade pricing would only become relevant and offered when and if they offer and upgraded package. Most important would be the features of the upgrade.

Their marketing department is not dumb. They know if the upgrade is massive with the package containing many spiffy new filters / presets, then yea... everybody pays full price. On the other hand, if the upgrade is puny offering only a slight speed increase and perhaps a new filter or two, without incentive pricing there will be many like me who will not pay full price for a weak upgrade and simply say no.

The question about upgrade pricing is probably better saved until if and when they offer their first true upgrade.

I think the biggest bummer in this is for the people who delayed, taking the free offering for granted, and did not download it. I would assume that freebie is no longer available.

williaty
113 posts
Joined Feb 2017

Jun 07, 2018 23:12 |  #13

I bought in on launch day. I figure $50 isn't much for software that makes me as many saleable images as Silver Efex does. Even if this is just a compatibility release, I'm voting with my wallet to say I value the software and think they should devote future resources to keeping it running. For those of you using the free version, I strongly encourage you to do the same. By buying software you're already getting for free, you're establishing the value of future updates to software you like.

Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
9,108 posts
Joined Apr 2006
Post edited 9 months ago by Picture North Carolina.

Jun 07, 2018 23:27 |  #14

Agree. Those who got a fantastic suite of software free should willingly offer a contribution for it.

However, as is being discussed, there are many like myself who did not get it for free.

I just looked it up. On 3/26/2013 I purchased the software from google. The price then was $149.00. I used a discount of $22.35 (don't remember from what) which meant I paid google $126.65 for the suite.

As you say, this is a compatibility release. I see no reason to pay DXO for a compatibility release of software I have already paid (more) for and have not had a single compatibility issue with.

Edit: oops, excuse me. $8.55 sales tax was added. My "contribution" to the borg for nik was $135.20

lukasgunar
298 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Mar 2007

Jun 08, 2018 06:04 |  #15

Picture North Carolina wrote in post #18641210 (external link)
Agree. Those who got a fantastic suite of software free should willingly offer a contribution for it.

However, as is being discussed, there are many like myself who did not get it for free.

I just looked it up. On 3/26/2013 I purchased the software from google. The price then was $149.00. I used a discount of $22.35 (don't remember from what) which meant I paid google $126.65 for the suite.

As you say, this is a compatibility release. I see no reason to pay DXO for a compatibility release of software I have already paid (more) for and have not had a single compatibility issue with.

Edit: oops, excuse me. $8.55 sales tax was added. My "contribution" to the borg for nik was $135.20

I remember the times when all Nik plugins costed couple hundreds. Just SilverEfex Pro itself was roughly 200-300 USD? If I recall all plugins were around 500 USD? I might be wrong but back then it was very expensive.
Then when Google bought them it was just a fraction of original price while ultimately it was given away for free to everyone.

So yes I agree that for some it might make no sense to buy the same stuff just little polished for additional 50 bucks or more (once promo is over), while others might appreciate improvements in performance (if they work as advertised).

In any case, it is great that DXO brought this amazing piece of software back to life as there is a great chance that there will be a further development + support going forward.
So sounds like win-win for everyone :-)

Canon EOS 5D MkIV, Canon EOS 30D

Canon 16-35 f/4L IS, Canon 17-40 f/4L, Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM, Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, Canon EF 50mm f/1.4, Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM, Canon Speedlite 580EXII

sponsored links

8,258 views & 25 likes for this thread
New Version - NIK Collection 2018 from DXO
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.