Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 06 Jun 2018 (Wednesday) 10:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

New Version - NIK Collection 2018 from DXO

lukasgunar
298 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Mar 2007

Jun 08, 2018 07:59 |  #16

Rather than discussing it without touching it, there is a quite good video posted on youtube which covers this topic:

https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=Bciy9HWdB1Y (external link)

Canon EOS 5D MkIV, Canon EOS 30D

Canon 16-35 f/4L IS, Canon 17-40 f/4L, Canon EF 24-70mm f/2.8L USM, Canon 70-200mm f/2.8L IS II, Canon EF 50mm f/1.4, Canon EF 85mm f/1.8 USM, Canon Speedlite 580EXII

sponsored links
kirkt
Cream of the Crop
5,738 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Jun 08, 2018 09:09 |  #17

lukasgunar wrote in post #18641356 (external link)
... If I recall all plugins were around 500 USD? I might be wrong but back then it was very expensive.

Yes - it was that expensive in 2010.

kirk

Kirk
---

Picture ­ North ­ Carolina
Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
9,108 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Jun 08, 2018 11:45 |  #18

lukasgunar wrote in post #18641356 (external link)
I remember the times when all Nik plugins costed couple hundreds. Just SilverEfex Pro itself was roughly 200-300 USD? If I recall all plugins were around 500 USD? I might be wrong but back then it was very expensive.
Then when Google bought them it was just a fraction of original price while ultimately it was given away for free to everyone.

So yes I agree that for some it might make no sense to buy the same stuff just little polished for additional 50 bucks or more (once promo is over), while others might appreciate improvements in performance (if they work as advertised).

In any case, it is great that DXO brought this amazing piece of software back to life as there is a great chance that there will be a further development + support going forward.
So sounds like win-win for everyone :-)

Yep. Original (pre-borg) price what about $500. That price was ludicrous because at that time that was about the price of Photoshop. A set of plugins that was priced the same as the entire photoshop app. Really? Never researched it, but probably the reason the product was sold to google. Google dramatically lowered the price, I jumped on it.

Agree that keeping it alive is a good thing, but not with the vigor I would have defended it years ago. As said above, I hardly use it any more. The topaz suite is far superior to the color stuff in Nik. The only thing I use it for is Silver Efex. The topaz suite also has a BW conversion diddy which is actually more powerful and has more functions, but I still use SE because I like it and am fluent in it.

The DXO marketing division needs to rethink things and get a grip. Years ago there was little competition. But nowadays with ON1 and Topaz and many others, Nik doesn't shine as brightly as it once did. Yes, $49 is a fair and good price for the suite for somebody that never had it. However, without offering upgrade pricing for those of us who already paid for it, DXO chances alienating a very large user base. They have alienated me. We'll wait and see if and when the first real upgrade is offered and what they do.

Website (external link) |

kirkt
Cream of the Crop
5,738 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Jun 08, 2018 13:55 |  #19

I mean $49 is similar to many other application "upgrade" prices, so I'm not so sure what the consternation is all about. Sure, Google made it available for free - guess what that got you? Abandonment of the entire suite of applications. You get what you pay for.

My impression is that DxO purchased it so they could use the U-point tech in PhotoLab, their raw converter, for local adjustments during raw conversion. DxO had to add this aspect of raw conversion to stay competitive with other raw converters. It is a powerful addition to raw conversion compared to brush or "auto mask" approaches, so it makes sense. Continuing to support the Nik collection is icing on the cake, so to speak - if they can charge a modest sum to support and modernize it, then Nik users should show their support too, or stick with their abandoned software until the bitter end, when DxO may have already raised their price.

I just traded in all of my Canon gear and switched to Fujifilm, so I can no longer use DxO PhotoLab, which is a shame because I have really enjoyed using it and beta testing for it since v8. I hope DxO are successful in incorporating the tech into their products and keeping long-time Nik users happy and well supported.

kirk

Kirk
---

mwsilver
Goldmember
3,821 posts
Gallery: 44 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Post edited 9 months ago by mwsilver. (4 edits in all)

Jun 08, 2018 13:58 |  #20

Pete328 wrote in post #18640237 (external link)
News release from DXO is no longer free (surprise). More info here:

https://nikcollection.​dxo.com/ (external link)

Besides recompiling all the programs they fixed a lot of known bugs with various operating systems. These problems did not affect most people most of the time. They didn't want to just deliver the original buggy package that hadn't been maintained in several years. All in all, $50 for this package is still quite a bargain, especially for new users. Now going forward they can start making really meaningful functional enhancements. Whether you want to support their efforts by upgrading this early in the game is strictly up to you. Even though I had the free version for a few years I did purchase their upgraded version, but that's in part because I am invested in DXO software and I'm a licensed user of all their other offerings.

Mark
Canon 7D2, 60D, T3i, T2i, Sigma 18-35 f/1.8, 30 f/1.4. Canon EF 70-200 L f/4 IS, EF 35 f/2 IS, EFs 10-18 STM, EFs 15-85, EFs 18-200, EF 50 f/1.8 STM, Tamron 18-270 PZD, B+W MRC CPL, Canon 320EX, Vanguard Alta Pro 254CT & SBH 250 head. RODE Stereo Videomic Pro, DXO PhotoLab, Elements 15

spotz04
Goldmember
1,971 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Mar 2010

Jun 08, 2018 15:43 |  #21

I'm pretty happy with the original paid version. No reason for me to spend more money on it.

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Jun 08, 2018 17:31 |  #22
bannedPermanent ban

gjl711 wrote in post #18640249 (external link)
Not a bad deal for 49.99. Doesn't look like much has changed from the free version though. NIK has been working perfectly for me so I'm not sure if the upgrade makes sense for me at the moment.

Sounds like a rotten deal to me. No new features, only bug fixes. When was it ok to charge for a bug fix?

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Jun 08, 2018 17:36 |  #23
bannedPermanent ban

kirkt wrote in post #18640958 (external link)
Someone on the DxO forum asked the same thing and there was no response from DxO. I would think the answer is "no." However, the price is reasonable, especially if you (like me) purchased the Nik Suite back when it cost $$$. Also, just save the Google installer and your old license info - you can always uninstall the DxO version after you try it and revert to the Google version.

I think this DxO introduction is basically rebranding (DxO logos) and squashing the big, long-term bugs like crashing on the Mac with smart objects, etc. In that sense, it may be worthwhile to get in on the ground floor, so to speak, with the supported DxO version for a low price.

kirk

What makes you think the next release won’t be the same price or higher. I don’t like the $49 for a release with zero new features.

gjl711
According to the lazy TF, My flatulence rates
54,825 posts
Joined Aug 2006

Jun 08, 2018 17:38 |  #24

Hogloff wrote in post #18641674 (external link)
Sounds like a rotten deal to me. No new features, only bug fixes. When was it ok to charge for a bug fix?

For someone who does not have the NIK collection, 49.99 is a great price. As mentioned several times, for someone who already has the package and is using it without issue, the upgrade does not make sense.

Not sure why, but call me JJ.
I used to hate math but then I realised decimals have a point.
::Flickr:: (external link)
::Gear::

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Jun 08, 2018 17:41 |  #25
bannedPermanent ban

williaty wrote in post #18641205 (external link)
I bought in on launch day. I figure $50 isn't much for software that makes me as many saleable images as Silver Efex does. Even if this is just a compatibility release, I'm voting with my wallet to say I value the software and think they should devote future resources to keeping it running. For those of you using the free version, I strongly encourage you to do the same. By buying software you're already getting for free, you're establishing the value of future updates to software you like.

What about us who bought the suite from NIK for over $300? Now i’m being asked for another $49 just on good faith DXO will release something substantially more than a bug fix.

I think i’ll go to the neighborhood pub and have a burger and a few brews rather than give DXO my money for something that adds nothing for me.

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Jun 08, 2018 17:45 |  #26
bannedPermanent ban

kirkt wrote in post #18641574 (external link)
I mean $49 is similar to many other application "upgrade" prices, so I'm not so sure what the consternation is all about. Sure, Google made it available for free - guess what that got you? Abandonment of the entire suite of applications. You get what you pay for.

My impression is that DxO purchased it so they could use the U-point tech in PhotoLab, their raw converter, for local adjustments during raw conversion. DxO had to add this aspect of raw conversion to stay competitive with other raw converters. It is a powerful addition to raw conversion compared to brush or "auto mask" approaches, so it makes sense. Continuing to support the Nik collection is icing on the cake, so to speak - if they can charge a modest sum to support and modernize it, then Nik users should show their support too, or stick with their abandoned software until the bitter end, when DxO may have already raised their price.

I just traded in all of my Canon gear and switched to Fujifilm, so I can no longer use DxO PhotoLab, which is a shame because I have really enjoyed using it and beta testing for it since v8. I hope DxO are successful in incorporating the tech into their products and keeping long-time Nik users happy and well supported.

kirk

Sure $49 is a reasonable upgrade price....but most upgrades provide some new functionality. Here DXO provides squat in the way of anything new.

mwsilver
Goldmember
3,821 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Jun 08, 2018 17:46 |  #27

Hogloff wrote in post #18641674 (external link)

if you don't like it, don't buy it.

Mark
Canon 7D2, 60D, T3i, T2i, Sigma 18-35 f/1.8, 30 f/1.4. Canon EF 70-200 L f/4 IS, EF 35 f/2 IS, EFs 10-18 STM, EFs 15-85, EFs 18-200, EF 50 f/1.8 STM, Tamron 18-270 PZD, B+W MRC CPL, Canon 320EX, Vanguard Alta Pro 254CT & SBH 250 head. RODE Stereo Videomic Pro, DXO PhotoLab, Elements 15

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Jun 08, 2018 18:13 |  #28
bannedPermanent ban

mwsilver wrote in post #18641686 (external link)
if you don't like it, don't buy it.

Exactly.

mwsilver
Goldmember
3,821 posts
Joined Oct 2011
Post edited 9 months ago by mwsilver. (2 edits in all)

Jun 08, 2018 18:34 |  #29

Hogloff wrote in post #18641683 (external link)
Sure $49 is a reasonable upgrade price....but most upgrades provide some new functionality. Here DXO provides squat in the way of anything new.

Except they now provide support for previously unsupported software. And while the bug fixes may not have benefited you, a number of users have reported issues running the old Google version on the latest iOS and Windows 64 bit operating systems.

Mark

Immaculens
creeped by the TF....
13,055 posts
Gallery: 78 photos
Joined Jul 2009

Jun 08, 2018 18:40 |  #30

using the trial (Analog) and don't notice any speed/response improvements using Win 10.

I am keen to keep watching what their next development will bring.

Will immaculens.com (external link)

7Dmk II gripped | 150-600 (Σ) OS C | 55-250 IS STM | 100L f/2.8 IS Macro | 15-85 IS | 50 f/1.8 STM | 30 Σ f/1.4 'A'
Learn to love to do well, and you shall. ~ C. Poseidon

sponsored links

8,259 views & 25 likes for this thread
New Version - NIK Collection 2018 from DXO
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.