Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 03 Jun 2007 (Sunday) 23:17
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Your experiences with Rain covers for camera and lens?

RPCrowe
Cream of the Crop
8,009 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Jun 09, 2018 18:02 |  #16

In a light rain, I will trust the weatherproofing of my cameras/lenses. However in heavy and extended rain, such as during my trip to the Kenai Peninsula of Alaska when it rained heavily for 10-days

IMAGE: https://photos.smugmug.com/Travel/Alaska-Trip-2008/i-xsmk23H/0/2d4aa554/O/bob%20with%20salmon.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://photos.smugmug​.com …ith%20salmon.jp​g&lb=1&s=A  (external link) on Smugmug
I used a Kata Cover which did an excellent job in protecting my gear.

BTW: I keep an Optech Rainsleeve for each camera that I use in a back pocket of my camera vest. That is not only to protect my gear from rain but, from salt spray when I am around the ocean and blowing sand when I am i the desert. The Rainsleeves are dirt cheap and weigh next to nothing.
https://www.amazon.com …T=_SX300_QL70_&​dpSrc=srch (external link)

See my images at http://rpcrowe.smugmug​.com/ (external link)

wizaron
725 posts
Gallery: 27 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Sep 2009

Sep 12, 2018 15:22 as a reply to  @ RPCrowe's post |  #17

Thanks for your findings and advice, I will try that Optech Rainsleeve ;-)a

Canon EOS 80D, EF-S18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM, EF 70-300 f/4-5.6L IS USM, Speedlite 600EX-RT.
flickr (external link)

Ltdave
Goldmember
2,932 posts
Gallery: 21 photos
Joined Apr 2012

Sep 13, 2018 04:11 |  #18

my wife got a fairly nice cover for me off Amazon. not sure of the brand but it has two "sleeves" where i can insert my hands for use and accessing the lens. it has a draw string to tighten down around the barrel of the lens but its just barely big enough for my 70-200 f2.8. had to remove the foot/tripod mount from the lens to get it to fit...

samueli
Goldmember
1,011 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Feb 2009
Post edited 4 months ago by samueli. (3 edits in all)

Sep 27, 2018 07:00 |  #19

They don't make Kata covers any longer, and the Storm Jacket, which looks nice, doesn't ship on time. Funny, it's listed as Amazon Prime, but it takes a week. Any other good choices I can get quickly and at least dry fit before I jump on a plane? This is one of those times I wished I still had a real camera store close by.

OMG, every decent camera store is closed until 10/3. I want to weep.

*Nevermind; I'm an idiot. Helps to actually be logged into the amazon account. Travel turns me into a panicked, brainless ball of useless mush.

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

14,914 views & 3 likes for this thread
Your experiences with Rain covers for camera and lens?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.