Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 28 May 2018 (Monday) 10:09
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Is auto ISO really auto?

ShutterKlick
374 posts
Gallery: 18 photos
Joined Oct 2017

Jun 08, 2018 17:11 |  #31

Snydremark wrote in post #18641446 (external link)
It may be that Nikon did something different with their implementation, uh emm. This discussion, at least, has been centered around Canon's early implementations which are definitely hampered.

Alas, still on topic as I referenced the Auto ISO feature in discussion. :-) Maybe the OP would entertain the thought of upgrading to a good camera?

"Camera & lens rich, Cash poor"

sponsored links
TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,296 posts
Gallery: 98 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Jun 08, 2018 20:38 as a reply to  @ ShutterKlick's post |  #32

The topic at hand is the 40d implementation of auto ISO, which was just about useless in real situations. The lack of a useful auto ISO doesn't make the 40d a bad camera, just limited on features.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

Bardi
THREAD ­ STARTER
101 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined May 2018

Jun 09, 2018 22:20 |  #33

ShutterKlick wrote in post #18641665 (external link)
Alas, still on topic as I referenced the Auto ISO feature in discussion. :-) Maybe the OP would entertain the thought of upgrading to a good camera?

Haha hey now! I'm not necessarily a Canon fan boy per se, but it's all I have experience with so far. I figure I need to get better at basics before "upgrading".

Gear List
Critique welcome. Editing ok. Thanks for looking

drmaxx
Goldmember
1,113 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Jul 2010
Post edited 8 months ago by drmaxx.

Jun 10, 2018 02:33 |  #34

ShutterKlick wrote in post #18634440 (external link)
NIK/Google filters
are *free*. (There are a boat load of Affinity tutorials on Youtube)
https://www.google.com​/nikcollection/ (external link)

Just on a side note: Google doesn't own the NIK collection and it's not free anymore.

Donate if you love POTN

RPCrowe
Cream of the Crop
8,009 posts
Joined Nov 2005
Post edited 8 months ago by RPCrowe.

Jun 12, 2018 22:16 |  #35

Canon did not have a fully functional Auto ISO (with manual exposure setting) until the 7D...

See this DPReview article:

https://www.dpreview.c​om …m-auto-iso-for-canon-slrs (external link)

AND... for its time, the 40D was a damn good camera. It is still a decent workhorse but, doesn't have the bells and whistles of later DSLR cameras... I would not be afraid to bring a pair of 40D cameras on any trip... However, I now use a 7D and a 7D2 for my travel photography...

See my images at http://rpcrowe.smugmug​.com/ (external link)

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
35,296 posts
Gallery: 98 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Jun 12, 2018 22:19 as a reply to  @ RPCrowe's post |  #36

The 7D auto ISO wasn't a fully working version either. There was no EC in manual with auto ISO turned on. That feature happened later on later models.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

sponsored links

2,135 views & 22 likes for this thread
Is auto ISO really auto?
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.