Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 08 Jun 2018 (Friday) 07:12
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Canon Not Repairing The M5!

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
12,894 posts
Gallery: 142 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Jun 09, 2018 09:35 |  #16

John from PA wrote in post #18641399 (external link)
From https://www.usa.canon.​com …plore/eos-m-series/eos-m5 (external link). Why would Canon not support this camera? Not supporting one model, once the word got out (and it's out), would impact the entire product line.

But Canon does support this model. . They support it by offering a replacement to those who experience problems.

Just because they offer replacement, and not repair, doesn't mean that the model is unsupported. . In fact, in my opinion replacement is preferable to repair.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

sponsored links
2cruise
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
4,184 posts
Gallery: 539 photos
Best ofs: 3
Joined Jan 2009

Jun 09, 2018 10:04 |  #17

It looks like a new camera was sent not a refurb.

5D Mark IV~70-300mm f4L IS~16-35 f4L IS ~Zeiss 21mm 2.8~Zeiss 50mm f2 Makro-Planar~ Sigma 24-105 Art~Rokinon 14mm 2.8~Lee filters
My Flickr (external link)

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
8,615 posts
Joined May 2003

Jun 09, 2018 16:53 |  #18

Tom Reichner wrote in post #18642003 (external link)
But Canon does support this model. . They support it by offering a replacement to those who experience problems.

Just because they offer replacement, and not repair, doesn't mean that the model is unsupported. . In fact, in my opinion replacement is preferable to repair.

So I chose an incomplete choice of wording. Perhaps I should have said Canon does not support repair of this product.

So just what is everyone's thoughts that this may be a way to control the independent repair marketplace? Canon could rigorously control repair part access preventing independents from repairing the camera after warranty. The parts that Canon would have would only be used internally to repair warranty returns which are then supplied to owners as a refurb. Just a thought.

Colorblinded
Goldmember
2,644 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Joined Jul 2007

Jun 09, 2018 17:27 |  #19

John from PA wrote in post #18642170 (external link)
So I chose an incomplete choice of wording. Perhaps I should have said Canon does not support repair of this product.

So just what is everyone's thoughts that this may be a way to control the independent repair marketplace? Canon could rigorously control repair part access preventing independents from repairing the camera after warranty. The parts that Canon would have would only be used internally to repair warranty returns which are then supplied to owners as a refurb. Just a thought.

I imagine they fix and sell them as refurb, it's just faster & a better customer experience if they send you a replacement.

If that's the case, then your question regarding independent/3rd party repair depends on whether Canon chooses not to sell parts.

http://www.colorblinde​dphoto.com (external link)
http://www.thecolorbli​ndphotographer.com (external link)

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
12,894 posts
Gallery: 142 photos
Joined Dec 2008

Jun 09, 2018 17:53 |  #20

There's really no reason to use the word "support" .... you can just say that Canon doesn't repair this model; they replace it instead.

When you word it a certain way, you risk giving people the impression that Canon leaves owners high & dry, with no means of getting their problem taken care of. . This is a wrong impression, because Canon does indeed take care of its M5 owners who experience problems by offering them a new (or refurbished) camera in lieu of repairing their old camera. . Some of us, myself included, think this is a fantastic way of handling warranty and/or repair needs.

I think this is a great business move for Canon. . I think that if they can practically eliminate the 3rd party repair market, then they can make profits that would otherwise go to other businesses that are competing against them.

Perhaps in the future we'll se a lot more Canon cameras that can't be disassembled, and this will result in greater earnings and profits for Canon. . Apple has done something very similar, and their stock prices have been oh so healthy for many years. . If I were a Canon stockholder, I would definitely want to see them do a lot more of this kind of thing. . It isn't a good thing for the simple photographer such as myself, but corporations are not in business to help people, they are in business to maximize their profits, and therefore this is a good move for them.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

joeseph
"smells like turd"
9,822 posts
Gallery: 100 photos
Joined Jan 2004

Jun 09, 2018 19:01 |  #21

EOS parts in New Zealand are already exclusive to Canon only, as they point blank refuse to sell anything to third parties here. Wonder what the situation is in other countries apart from the US?
Not sure if the reasons for this are that they want to limit anyone else from repairs, or that they just can't be bothered with setting up a supply chain to sell to the public or repairers. I would imagine that N.Z. being a very small country would not have a sizable demand for parts anyway.

some fairly old canon camera stuff, canon lenses, Manfrotto "thingy", 1D MK II converted for IR, and now an M5
TF posting: here :-)

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
9,331 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Jun 2011
Post edited 9 months ago by Left Handed Brisket.

Jun 10, 2018 12:51 |  #22

I think it is unlikely that Canon considers repair and support a profit center. Yes, I am sure they are interested in making some money from the venture, but it is in the company's best long term interest to keep their customers happy with solid support at a reasonable cost. Indeed it seems Canon leads the industry with quick repairs at a price point that does not piss off customers.

Im sticking to my original guess that the "broken" cameras are more valuable as resource for improvement than as a means to generate revenue. Consider the cost involved in creating accurate training materials, actually doing the training world wide, managing parts inventory at hundreds of locations, and the costs of having those parts collecting dust on the shelf. Keeping in mind that these cameras do not share parts with as many other models as a single DSLR might. Those costs, with a relatively small user base, may be too heavy to be worthwhile.

Finally, this anecdotal evidence represents one of many possible repairs that might need to be made. Are they going to provide a new camera for a busted flash lens? A broken battery door? Highly unlikely. I suspect there isn't much training involved in making those repairs, neither costs involved in inventory management.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

Frodge
Goldmember
3,072 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2012

Jun 10, 2018 20:26 |  #23

Some people, like myself, would like their original machine back. For example, I still own my first 35mm. It brings back a lot of memories of things I did, places I visited just by opening the bag.

Choderboy
I Chimp, therefore I am
5,546 posts
Gallery: 100 photos
Joined Jul 2005

Jun 11, 2018 19:29 |  #24

Frodge wrote in post #18642876 (external link)
Some people, like myself, would like their original machine back. For example, I still own my first 35mm. It brings back a lot of memories of things I did, places I visited just by opening the bag.

Cool. But don't buy an M5. I understand the emotional attachment. I think it's fair for a camera manufacturer not to consider emotional attachment though, particularly for a digital camera .

Dave
Image editing OK

mwsilver
Goldmember
3,821 posts
Gallery: 44 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Post edited 9 months ago by mwsilver.

Jun 12, 2018 11:03 |  #25

Choderboy wrote in post #18643526 (external link)
Cool. But don't buy an M5. I understand the emotional attachment. I think it's fair for a camera manufacturer not to consider emotional attachment though, particularly for a digital camera .

This conversation reminded me of my own approach to these things. Keeping old no longer used possessions because of the emotional attachment is a bit overrated. People form attachments to all sorts of possessions like houses, cars, motorcycles, comfy chairs and ratty old flannel shirts. In time they tend to get rid of all those things because they are large and take up too much room, or are too expensive to keep, or retain too much value to hold on to and not use. Old cameras are easier because they're small and most don't tend to have a lot of residual value. So they languish in a draw for 25 years, unused and ignored until you finally leave this mortal coil and your kids dump them, along with most of the crap you've accumulated, into the trash without a second thought. As I age I'm trying to make my life simpler by getting rid of the unimportant things I no longer use or need, which in turn will make it easier for my son when the time comes. I doubt the M5 will ever be considered a classic. But, each to their own.

Mark
Canon 7D2, 60D, T3i, T2i, Sigma 18-35 f/1.8, 30 f/1.4. Canon EF 70-200 L f/4 IS, EF 35 f/2 IS, EFs 10-18 STM, EFs 15-85, EFs 18-200, EF 50 f/1.8 STM, Tamron 18-270 PZD, B+W MRC CPL, Canon 320EX, Vanguard Alta Pro 254CT & SBH 250 head. RODE Stereo Videomic Pro, DXO PhotoLab, Elements 15

Frodge
Goldmember
3,072 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Nov 2012

Jun 13, 2018 05:36 |  #26

mwsilver wrote in post #18643909 (external link)
This conversation reminded me of my own approach to these things. Keeping old no longer used possessions because of the emotional attachment is a bit overrated. People form attachments to all sorts of possessions like houses, cars, motorcycles, comfy chairs and ratty old flannel shirts. In time they tend to get rid of all those things because they are large and take up too much room, or are too expensive to keep, or retain too much value to hold on to and not use. Old cameras are easier because they're small and most don't tend to have a lot of residual value. So they languish in a draw for 25 years, unused and ignored until you finally leave this mortal coil and your kids dump them, along with most of the crap you've accumulated, into the trash without a second thought. As I age I'm trying to make my life simpler by getting rid of the unimportant things I no longer use or need, which in turn will make it easier for my son when the time comes. I doubt the M5 will ever be considered a classic. But, each to their own.

I never said that it had value or would become a classic. All that I stated what that it may have some value to yourself. If it doesn’t, that’s fine too. I think there is something pretty problematic with Canons repair division if they can’t fix rather than replace a camera in most cases. Of course there are situations where the camera would need to be replaced, and I totally understand that. But for example, if they can’t replace a hot shoe rather than replace the entire camera, something pretty silly is going on there.

mwsilver
Goldmember
3,821 posts
Gallery: 44 photos
Joined Oct 2011

Jun 13, 2018 06:25 |  #27

Frodge wrote in post #18644433 (external link)
I never said that it had value or would become a classic. All that I stated what that it may have some value to yourself. If it doesn’t, that’s fine too. I think there is something pretty problematic with Canons repair division if they can’t fix rather than replace a camera in most cases. Of course there are situations where the camera would need to be replaced, and I totally understand that. But for example, if they can’t replace a hot shoe rather than replace the entire camera, something pretty silly is going on there.

I agree.

Mark
Canon 7D2, 60D, T3i, T2i, Sigma 18-35 f/1.8, 30 f/1.4. Canon EF 70-200 L f/4 IS, EF 35 f/2 IS, EFs 10-18 STM, EFs 15-85, EFs 18-200, EF 50 f/1.8 STM, Tamron 18-270 PZD, B+W MRC CPL, Canon 320EX, Vanguard Alta Pro 254CT & SBH 250 head. RODE Stereo Videomic Pro, DXO PhotoLab, Elements 15

sponsored links

2,155 views & 10 likes for this thread
Canon Not Repairing The M5!
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.