Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
Thread started 14 Jun 2018 (Thursday) 19:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Where did I go wrong with my shutter speed?

jc1350
157 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Jun 14, 2018 19:01 |  #1

I still have/use my now archaic 30D, but I haven't used it much the last 2 years. I used it tonight in Tv mode and set it 1/400. Every photo I took (same room, same light) shot at much slower speeds. 1/25 and 1/30.

Why didn't it use the speed I set? Is there something that overrides the set shutter speed?

Thanks,

John

--
John

sponsored links
apersson850
Cream of the Crop
11,848 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jun 15, 2018 03:32 |  #2

If you have safety shift enabled (provided that is available on the 30D - at least it is on the 40D), then the camera will extend the time if the one you select is too short to allow for correct exposure.

If you want pictures, you can't just select a time and press the trigger. You have to verify that the time, in combination with available light, aperture and ISO can give you a correct exposure (image brightness) too.

Anders

jc1350
THREAD ­ STARTER
157 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Jun 15, 2018 05:49 |  #3

Thanks, I'll double-check for that setting. I don't recall ever seeing it before on the 30D. I was under the impression that even if a photo comes out near black due to insufficient light, Tv would use the shutter speed set. I don't recall it ever overriding my setting this in the past.

--
John

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
8,173 posts
Joined May 2003
Post edited 3 months ago by John from PA. (6 edits in all)

Jun 15, 2018 06:04 |  #4

Safety Shift is on the 30D. In Tv mode, in a dark room, the viewfinder will blink the maximum aperture of the lens, since it's gone to the largest aperture and still can't get enough exposure. When you press the shutter halfway, you'll see the aperture stop blinking and a lower shutter speed appear. The 30D will shoot at the maximum aperture and a slower shutter speed. So check aperture on the images as well to see if maxed out.

See https://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthre​ad.php?t=382748

Attach a picture here, making sure the EXIF is intact. Then we can review your exact settings.

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
33,984 posts
Gallery: 84 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002
Post edited 3 months ago by TeamSpeed. (2 edits in all)

Jun 15, 2018 06:51 |  #5

As others stated, you have to have safety shift on, otherwise, in Tv mode, it would honor whatever shutter speed you gave it. Page 173 in your manual...

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

jc1350
THREAD ­ STARTER
157 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Jun 15, 2018 06:58 |  #6

Oh, thanks. I didn't have my camera or manual before my last post. I never KNOWINGLY changed that setting; didn't know it was even there. I'll check it.

--
John

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
33,984 posts
Gallery: 84 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Jun 15, 2018 07:02 as a reply to  @ jc1350's post |  #7

It's a good feature, but it can surprise you should it ever get set and you aren't expecting it.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

jc1350
THREAD ­ STARTER
157 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Jun 15, 2018 16:40 |  #8

Thank you folks for the clue-x-4 upside my head. I had no idea that function existed and it was inadvertently enabled (it was). Now...if I could just find a time machine to redo last night.

--
John

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
11,848 posts
Joined Nov 2007

Jun 17, 2018 04:46 |  #9

A time machine will probably not help. Since the camera couldn't accomplish a correct exposure at the time you selected that night, it wouldn't help if you had safety shift disabled. You would have had to set a longer time yourself, or your pictures would have come out so dark that you couldn't see what they were trying to capture.
Or you would have had to add light (flash or something).

Anders

Choderboy
I Chimp, therefore I am
5,100 posts
Gallery: 97 photos
Joined Jul 2005

Jun 17, 2018 05:27 |  #10

apersson850 wrote in post #18646693 (external link)
A time machine will probably not help. Since the camera couldn't accomplish a correct exposure at the time you selected that night, it wouldn't help if you had safety shift disabled. You would have had to set a longer time yourself, or your pictures would have come out so dark that you couldn't see what they were trying to capture.
Or you would have had to add light (flash or something).

That's just your cheapie time machine. Get a better one and you can not only travel in time, you can adjust time parameters once there. Set environment to 'standard' and camera to 'warp, positive factor 10' and 1/400 becomes 1/40 sec.

Dave
https://www.flickr.com​/photos/12185187@N00/ (external link)
1DX2, 1D4, 1DS2. Canon, Sigma lenses
Image editing OK

jc1350
THREAD ­ STARTER
157 posts
Joined Apr 2006

Jun 19, 2018 21:30 |  #11

With a standard time machine I could see the underexposure and adjust including ISO. The fully-loaded time machine would be rather nice. This was a good reminder to check all settings first and to better understand the exposure triangle.

--
John

sponsored links

869 views & 0 likes for this thread
Where did I go wrong with my shutter speed?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EOS Digital Cameras 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.