Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 11 Jun 2018 (Monday) 11:35
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Optics better on on 300mm f/2.8 MkII vs MkI?

Littleroot
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
15 posts
Joined Jun 2013
Post edited over 1 year ago by Littleroot.

Jun 12, 2018 18:29 |  #16

johnf3f wrote in post #18644161 (external link)
Oh no! Do not put the extenders back in the closet! They work VERY well on the 300 F2.8 - they are just not as good as a longer "Big White" if you need more reach - but they will certainly do a good job most of the time.:-)

Well, they slow down the AF considerably, on my 1DM4, is my experience. Superbikes are fast. :-) And I have had good luck with simply cropping. I know it is not the same "look" and "pop", but it's better to have a shot in focus, to crop, than have a nice tight shot out of focus. LOL

sponsored links
johnf3f
Goldmember
4,084 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Apr 2010

Jun 12, 2018 18:34 as a reply to  @ Littleroot's post |  #17

The 1.4 should be OK, but I agree the 2 x will probably slow things too much.

Not really my field, I do shoot Motorsports, but only occasionally.

Life is for living, cameras are to capture it (one day I will learn how!).

Littleroot
THREAD ­ STARTER
Mostly Lurking
15 posts
Joined Jun 2013

Jun 12, 2018 18:43 |  #18

johnf3f wrote in post #18644166 (external link)
The 1.4 should be OK, but I agree the 2 x will probably slow things too much.

Not really my field, I do shoot Motorsports, but only occasionally.

Agreed. x1/4 on the 1DM4 and 300mm f/2.8 IS MkI should be good. But like I said I can easily crop ~1.4x

Bikes are really tough to pick up, the hardest thing I shoot. And I don't get any practice\experiment time so I have to nail it.

J ­ R ­ Mohan
320 posts
Gallery: 106 photos
Joined May 2008

Jun 18, 2018 01:25 as a reply to  @ post 18643279 |  #19

Why do you forget 5 D Mark III ?

Jai.

CyberDyneSystems
Admin (type T-2000)
49,820 posts
Gallery: 161 photos
Joined Apr 2003
Post edited over 1 year ago by CyberDyneSystems. (2 edits in all)

Jun 18, 2018 10:14 |  #20

J R Mohan wrote in post #18647137 (external link)
Why do you forget 5 D Mark III ?

Jai.

Hi Jai,
I did not forget the 5D3, the 5D3 simply does not have the latest AF tech that is only found in the 5D4, 1Dx2 and to some extent the 80D.

When you pair the 5D3 with latest gen lenses and MkIII t-cons the combination will not allow all AF pints @ f/8, and the AF performance will slow dramatically.

Again, Canons new AF features are only available in the newest Canon bodies when paired with the newest lenses and T-cons. Introduce ANY older tech, and that older part will prevent these features from working.

GEAR LIST
CDS' HOT LINKS
Jake Hegnauer Photography (external link)

Perfectly ­ Frank
I'm too sexy for my lens
4,432 posts
Gallery: 58 photos
Joined Oct 2010

Jun 18, 2018 12:19 |  #21

At one time I owned the 300 f2.8 IS and 1.4xII, 2xII. Then upgraded to version II lens and version III extenders.

Optical difference between the two bare lenses...very slight, to the point of being insignificant. But this is just one guy's opinion.

Version II is a little lighter, has 4 stops of IS (version I had 2 stops), 3 modes of IS (version I had 2 modes). Also has better optical coatings.

The big difference between version I & II is how the lens works with the extenders. IQ is noticeably better with Version II lens and III extenders.
Better sharpness and contrast. Negligible IQ degradation with the 1.4xIII attached.

Since I shoot with this lens hand-held, some times at slow shutter speeds, the improved stabilization is welcomed.
I used my 1D4 with both versions of the lens but could not detect a change in AF performance.

When you see my camera gear you'll think I'm a pro.
When you see my photos you'll know that I'm not.

Grumpy_one
611 posts
Gallery: 16 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Jun 18, 2018 19:38 |  #22

Littleroot wrote in post #18643514 (external link)
Hi, And thanks for the reply

I think that was just for the non-IS. The 300mm f/2.8 IS MkI is still supported by CPS

May I ask which body you were using?

Not as of late. I just reached out to them on my 300mm MkI and it is no longer supported. My manual focus is not working properly. I've had to take it to a local shop, been 3 weeks, still trying to figure it out. Might be time to take it else where.

I shoot Canon's
1DX II, Canon 7D Gripped, 5D3, 24-70L II, 70-200L 2.8 IS Mk I, 85 1.8, Pocket Wizard II triggers, assorted speedlites and modifiers, 580EX, 580EXII, YN560's (6 or so) 50 1.4, t/c 1.4 MkII
www.happyvalleyphotogr​aphy.com (external link)

sponsored links

1,825 views & 4 likes for this thread
Optics better on on 300mm f/2.8 MkII vs MkI?
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.