Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 19 Jun 2018 (Tuesday) 22:18
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Infinite Color Panel by Pratik Naik

auto-clicker
776 posts
Joined Dec 2009
Post edited 8 months ago by auto-clicker.

Jun 19, 2018 22:18 |  #1

https://www.infiniteco​lorpanel.com/ (external link)

https://www.youtube.co​m …/UCYdlLhRBj08xE​O1Jv7gStIQ (external link)

There is mention of this also ... by Conny Wallstrom another professional Retouchist who helped in the development of the panel
http://retouchingtools​.com/ (external link)

Some of you may know him or even use his services and now he has put this out to the masses. I have not tried it as yet myself.

sponsored links
ThreeHounds
828 posts
Gallery: 76 photos
Joined Mar 2014
Post edited 8 months ago by ThreeHounds.

Jun 19, 2018 22:37 |  #2

I've seen this on some blogs. It looks interesting, but for color grading, I think having a concept of what you want is a better direction to go opposed to spinning the wheel and seeing if you like what it gives you.
On the other hand, it may be a good teaching tool for those trying to learn the technique(s).

5D MkIII | 7D | Bronica ETRS
EF 24-105 f/4 L | EF 85mm f/1.8 USM | EF 17-40 f/4 L | EF 70-300 f/4 L | 105 f/3.5 Zenzanon | Tamron SP90 f/2.8 Di Macro VC USM
flickr (external link)

Picture ­ North ­ Carolina
Gaaaaa! DOH!! Oops!
9,108 posts
Joined Apr 2006
Post edited 8 months ago by Picture North Carolina.

Jun 20, 2018 10:32 |  #3

Agree with TH. Much better to have an idea of what you want as opposed to throwing the dice and having a hope you'll get what you want (but mostly what you don't want).

Looks interesting, but I think I'll pass because:

1. Price too steep - $129. Intro price is $99 - still too steep.
2. no refunds
3. no trial
4. MUST have or subscribe to Creative Cloud (A CS6 version will be available BUT not the same thing - it will be a set of actions, not a panel)
5. Works only with Photoshop. No lightroom, no elements, no nothing else.

All-in-all, lots of negatives. I'll pass. Too many free tutorials on YouTube showing how to get the same results. But thanks for the heads-up.

Website (external link) |

Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
9,246 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Jun 2011

Jun 20, 2018 10:57 |  #4

auto-clicker wrote in post #18648133 (external link)
https://www.infiniteco​lorpanel.com/ (external link)

https://www.youtube.co​m …/UCYdlLhRBj08xE​O1Jv7gStIQ (external link)

There is mention of this also ... by Conny Wallstrom another professional Retouchist who helped in the development of the panel
http://retouchingtools​.com/ (external link)

Some of you may know him or even use his services and now he has put this out to the masses. I have not tried it as yet myself.

OP's handle definitely checks out. :D

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

auto-clicker
THREAD ­ STARTER
776 posts
Joined Dec 2009

Jun 20, 2018 15:38 as a reply to  @ Left Handed Brisket's post |  #5

LOL, i actually use Capture One , Adobe CC suite, On1 with Lutify.me and 3DLUT Creator...depends on what i am doing for print or screen and how quickly i want it done :)

F2Bthere
Goldmember
1,029 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Jul 12, 2018 01:14 |  #6

auto-clicker wrote in post #18648522 (external link)
LOL, i actually use Capture One , Adobe CC suite, On1 with Lutify.me and 3DLUT Creator...depends on what i am doing for print or screen and how quickly i want it done :)

A friend got this so I had a chance to play with it. My friend likes it, so perhaps you will too. I am a bit less impressed.

Capture One and PS combined can run circles around what this panel can do if you have basic knowledge of how to manipulate color.*. The advanced color editor in Capture One can do a lot of heavy lifting. And everything this panel does can be done with PS adjustment layers.

The panel is worth thinking about as two separate capabilities: the random adjustment layer function set and the harmonize feature.

RANDOM ADJUSTMENT FEATURE SET:

The basic features use a randomization of adjustment layer tools.

The LUTs used are simply the ones you already have with PS, chosen at random.

The specific manipulation are not geared towards your image. To my eye, they are not bad adjustments, but they are not exceptional, either.

I have created my own set of LUTs which are far better as starting points and applying them randomly would deliver better results for me than this random feature, but clearly the LUTs were developed by me, so it isn't an objective test. ;).

If this panel had come with a set of handcrafted LUTs, it could have been a much more powerful offering. But this requires a different skill set and approach.

I tried several images and applied a lot of variations on each image. I got one variation on one image that was interesting and provided an alternative that might have been worth chasing. Not a very good return on the time and effort relative to pulling up an adjustment layer and going at it by hand.

And if you get something you like, you will almost certainly need to adjust it before it really serves, which will require the skill set you would need to create it from scratch without the panel. Which is why I added the * above. You need to already have the skill set to get advantage from the panel.

As pointed out above, the one benefit is the randomness. If that works for your process, perhaps this feature is worth $99. I can't see it being worth it.

But my friend, who has a good eye and is a skilled retoucher, is excited about it. She has not (yet) used it in the finishing of an actual image, which might or might not change her opinion.

HARMONIZE FEATURE:

This feature uses some method to determine the highlight color in the image and creates three solid color adjustment layers for Highlight, Midtone and Shadow. I'm not sure precisely how the encoding works, but if you look at the image, decide what the highlight color is (such as the sky) you will get pretty close if not the same color this feature generates. Then simply create the triad of colors using a color wheel (or do the math with the color picker) to arrive at the midtone and shadow color.

This feature looked like the most exciting bit of the panel to me.

This is an interesting idea. I didn't find it working the kind of magic I hoped it would. I have pursued this general idea on my own and have found other methods more satisfactory. I think to make this work well, you need to take more of the images characteristics into account and I don't think simply overlaying the colors over the highlights, midtone and shadows works. I think you need to operate more from the hues involved.

All in all, this is not a One click solution. Nor is it a 20 click solution. With 20 clicks you might get a starting point (or not) but without the skill set and ability to see, you still won't get to a solid result. And if you have that ability, you don't need the panel.

Unless you need the randomness...

But if that is your goal, I would build a set of LUTs and apply them randomly.

C&C always welcomed...
On my images, of course, and on my words as well--as long as it's constructive :).
https://www.instagram.​com/storyinpictures_co​m/ (external link)

auto-clicker
THREAD ­ STARTER
776 posts
Joined Dec 2009
Post edited 2 months ago by auto-clicker. (3 edits in all)

Dec 13, 2018 09:16 |  #7

Yes i did get it after posting here and i do use it, it gives me a quick starting point and i do tweak it here and there, overall for my needs it does speed things up ...no i am not always for speeding things up and i do understand the basics (something we should all learn and remember) and like your friend i have come to like it. These new panels do help a lot but you still must understand the basics to use them...if you do mostly simple stuff you can live without them but if you plan on doing more complicated things like large composites, they do help speed the process up. I am by no means an expert at these things but i do find it helps me love photography even more.

I am now in the process of evaluating Luminosity Panels...i did not realize there were so many :rolleyes:

Thank you for the replies, all opinions and suggestions are welcomed this is why i like this forum.

sponsored links

2,212 views & 3 likes for this thread
Infinite Color Panel by Pratik Naik
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.