Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 19 Jun 2018 (Tuesday) 01:20
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Help!!! Dead hot shoe!!!

TeamSpeed
01010100 01010011
34,545 posts
Gallery: 89 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined May 2002

Jun 19, 2018 16:39 |  #16

Bassat wrote in post #18647845 (external link)
If shoe switch is stuck, camera will say 'no flash attached' when opening Controls or Custom Controls menus.

The 5D2 being a bit older, might not do all that handshaking that the newer bodies do. I don't remember now, it has been too long.

Past Equipment | My Personal Gallery (external link) My Business Gallery (external link)

John ­ from ­ PA
Cream of the Crop
8,348 posts
Joined May 2003
Post edited 5 months ago by John from PA. (2 edits in all)

Jun 19, 2018 18:18 |  #17

joeseph wrote in post #18647989 (external link)
Op's looking at the camera shoe (he's tested / confirmed the flash unit works correctly on his other camera)

I asked the question because there is a lot of stuff out there that use "hot shoe" interchangeably for what is on the camera body and what is on the flash. And "yes" I realize the OP tried it on another camera so that tends to indicate an issue with the body.

Early 580 EX II's were known to have issues with the pins on the foot that would cause problems with some cameras. I had the problem with a 60D but the flash worked fine on my old Elan IIe film camera. The Canon service shop in New Jersey or New York, replaced the foot on the flash. The new foot had round pins and I think the old pins were rectangular shaped. The unit has been fine ever since.

There are also some reports of a rubber shroud on the foot of the flash interfering with an electrical contact path when the locking lever is tightened down; this problem may only be an issue on some cameras. Some people say you can remove the rubber and get the flash to work. See http://www.fredmiranda​.com/forum/topic/79237​1 (external link) for discussion.

There are also reports that many of the contact problems of a 5DII and 580EX II (and some other cameras) result in the flash or camera being placed in TTL mode and then it won't fire.

Cali ­ Agent
THREAD ­ STARTER
186 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2006

Jun 21, 2018 10:24 |  #18

John from PA wrote in post #18647920 (external link)
Have you tried the flash (on 5DII) in manual mode?

By hot shoe are you referring to the camera side shoe or the flash unit? Both are known to have some issues.

Its the hotshoe on the camera. Normally on the speedlite I refer that part as the foot.

flickr (external link)

Cali ­ Agent
THREAD ­ STARTER
186 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jul 2006

Jun 21, 2018 10:44 |  #19

TeamSpeed wrote in post #18647812 (external link)
To help with the details on this... for a 20D, but am somewhat sure the 5D2 isn't that different.

https://shimworld.word​press.com/2009/02/26/c​anon-hotshoe-fix/ (external link)

In particular....

This might be my fix I remember noticing the pins werent up like in the photos ill give it a try and update you guys!! Thanks for this!!!

flickr (external link)

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

951 views & 1 like for this thread
Help!!! Dead hot shoe!!!
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.