Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 09 Jun 2018 (Saturday) 18:52
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

StreakLight 360 TTL and X-1 trigger on Canon DSLR - attention Helen Oster

RPCrowe
Cream of the Crop
8,009 posts
Joined Nov 2005
Post edited 8 months ago by RPCrowe.

Jun 09, 2018 18:52 |  #1

I have a Streaklight 360 TTL which I dearly love and which I use on a modified Stroboframe flash bracket and which I will trigger with a an X-1 radio trigger mounted on either a Canon 6D2 or 7D2. I could,if desired, also trigger this flash with a Canon off camera cord but, prefer to remove the hotshoe mount from the flash and replace it with a 1/4 x 20 screw mount. The flash is quite heavy, especially when it is wearing a modifier, and the screw mount is (IMO) more rugged than the hotshoe mount.

The flash is mounted about six inches above the camera - enough to give a few inches to spare with the X-1 mounted which is why I modified the Stroboflash bracket. I could not use the cameras with the X-1 trigger mounted on an unmodified Stroboframe camera flip bracket since both my 6D2 and 7D2 are equipped with battery packs. The battery pack and X-1 trigger make the cameras too tall to work on the unmodified Stroboframe camera flip bracket...

I have noticed something strange, the trigger will not fire the flash when the flash is directly above the center of the trigger and when the camera is in the landscape position. However the X-1 trigger will fire the flash if the flash is offset about an inch from the center of the trigger.

This doesn't seem to cause any problem since my modified Stroboflash camera flip bracket allows me to move the flash a few inches to either right or left.

However, when the camera is in the portrait position and the X-1 trigger is directly below the center of the flash, the flash will fire from the trigger.

Like I mentioned, my modified Stroboflash camera flip bracket allows me to adjust the position of the flash quite easily - so I have no problem. However, I am wondering about the technical reasons for the flash not firing in the landscape position when it is directly above the trigger. BTW: I have tried firing the hand holding flash in the same relative positions without being mounted on my bracket and the same results occur...

My totally uneducated guess:rolleyes: is that the radio signal does not disperse from directly above the X-1 but, does so at a slight angle. Does that sound reasonable to someone more versed in radio signalling than I am.

See my images at http://rpcrowe.smugmug​.com/ (external link)

HelenOster
That's me!
4,483 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Jun 09, 2018 23:22 |  #2

I’m so sorry but I don’t have the level of technical expertise to answer your question.

Can you please send it to our tech team - brands@adorama.com

Adorama Camera Customer Service Ambassador
Helen@adorama.com
http://twitter.com/Hel​enOster (external link)
http://www.flickr.com/​people/22264746@N07/ (external link)

Choderboy
I Chimp, therefore I am
5,485 posts
Gallery: 100 photos
Joined Jul 2005

Jun 10, 2018 11:10 |  #3

An antenna has a radiation pattern. It seems you have found a 'null' or location where there is no or very low signal.
Nulls also occur at half wavelength points.
If your transmitter is 2.4GHz there is a null every 2.5 inches approximately.

Dave
Image editing OK

RPCrowe
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
8,009 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Jun 22, 2018 22:03 |  #4

Pressing the Test Button on top of the X1T puts the unit into close mode which allows triggering at any distance. You need to do this each time you turn on the unit which is no great hardship for me...

See my images at http://rpcrowe.smugmug​.com/ (external link)

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

2,109 views & 1 like for this thread
StreakLight 360 TTL and X-1 trigger on Canon DSLR - attention Helen Oster
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.