Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
Thread started 22 Jun 2018 (Friday) 20:10
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

5d mark iv - ai servo problems

Doc ­ Fluty
Goldmember
1,762 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jun 22, 2018 20:10 |  #1

Hello guys.

Im sure this has been asked before but I looked and still can't figure it out.

I have my first wedding tomorrow so I am trying to use the AI servo portion of my camera. I have never used ai servo and in fact 95% of the time I use manual focus lenses. But obviously, for a wedding, I cant do that.

So I put my 5d mark iv in AI Servo mode and use back button focus on my daughter... and as she is coming towards me it isn't adjusting the focus and she is incredibly blurry by the time she gets to me. I tried going into pages AF1 and AF2 and adjusting some settings but got nowhere.... not sure about pages af4-af-af6 on the cam though.

This is happening on my 24-70 2.8 ii, 50mm 1.2 and 70-200mm 2.8 is ii.... so i don't think its a lens speed issue.

When looking through the viewfinder I see it toggling saying "one shot/ai servo"... but i don't have it on AI focus... so im lost on why it does that... and doesn't focus as she walks to me.

If you can point me in the right direction I would appreciate it.

My Facebook Fan Page (external link) - My Gear

sponsored links
Left ­ Handed ­ Brisket
That's my line!
9,255 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Jun 2011
Post edited 8 months ago by Left Handed Brisket.

Jun 22, 2018 21:31 |  #2

Does it work with shutter button half press?

Bbf off.

PSA: The above post may contain sarcasm, reply at your own risk | Not in gear database: Auto Sears 50mm 2.0 / 3x CL-360, Nikon SB-28, SunPak auto 322 D, Minolta 20

Dan ­ Marchant
Do people actually believe in the Title Fairy?
5,141 posts
Gallery: 19 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Location: Where I'm from is unimportant, it's where I'm going that counts.

Jun 22, 2018 23:38 |  #3

Sounds as if you have the BBF set to toggle between AI Servo and One Shot, rather than set to AF On.

Dan Marchant
Website/blog: danmarchant.com (external link)
Instagram: @dan_marchant (external link)
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

Choderboy
I Chimp, therefore I am
5,499 posts
Gallery: 100 photos
Joined Jul 2005
Post edited 8 months ago by Choderboy.

Jun 23, 2018 06:08 |  #4

Description is confusing:
"So I put my 5d mark iv in AI Servo mode"
then
"..toggling saying "one shot/ai servo"... but i don't have it on AI focus"

The only way I know of making the One Shot / AI Servo toggle is to repeatedly press a button which has been assigned to do this using Custom Controls.
The options available are:
1/ change from One Shot to AI Servo when button is held
2/ toggle each time the button is pressed.

I would go to page 495 of the manual and follow instructions to clear custom controls.
Then decide
1/ if you want to assign a button for changing to AI Servo or change using standard method (DRIVE-AF button and Main Dial)
2/ if you want to use back button for focus or use shutter button to focus.

If you are using standard method to change to AI Servo and shutter button to focus you're done.
If you want to use a custom control setting for either or both, follow page 495 to 502.

Dave
Image editing OK

digital ­ paradise
How do I change this?
14,314 posts
Joined Oct 2009

Jun 23, 2018 08:25 |  #5

Sorry about some of the dumb questions.

Someone walking to you using those lenses is a cakewalk for the 5D4. I doubt this is it but you never know. You shoot in manual focus 95% of the time. Is your lens set to MF? I imagine it would say MF in the viewfinder.

Does it beep during the initial focus acquisition? If it does you aren't in AI Servo.

Also you said you made some adjustments. How many others in the past? Perhaps a factory reset of your camera because when you press the AF-ON it should focus onto what your AF point is placed on and track it.

What AF mode are you using? Single point or auto?

In AI Servo and single point AF you should be able to place the AF point in any object and it will focus in when half press the shutter or use the AF-ON button. When you move that AF point to a different object (while the shutter is half pressed or the AF-ON pressed) that is closer or further from the original object it should refocus on it. That is a good way to test it if you don't have a person available. Sometimes it is easier to trouble shoot on your own. It is for me.

Let is know how it goes.

Image Editing OK

Website (external link) ~ Buy/Sell Feedback

Doc ­ Fluty
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,762 posts
Joined Jan 2010

Jun 23, 2018 12:35 |  #6

Thanks for the tips guys, I got it to work using the normal shutter button to focus.

When I use BBF it flickers red and beeps but does not focus as she walks towards me.... however, changing nothing... if i press the shutter button halfway it doesn't flicker red or beep but it does focus as she walks.

So the wedding today and I guess I will just use the front button while she walks down the aisle... and BBF for everything else until I figure this out.

Once I get home I will dive more into this confusion.

Thanks again!

My Facebook Fan Page (external link) - My Gear

Tixeon
Goldmember
1,247 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Oct 2004

Jun 24, 2018 11:00 |  #7

I don't see where anyone mentioned holding the back focus button IN (AI Focus) while subject moves closer to camera. Digital Paradise mentions holding the shutter button half way down when not using back button focus. I use Back Button focus (AI Focus) exclusively on my 5Dc with no problems. I simply press the back focus button once for One Shot focus - I hold the back focus button down (IN) to get AI Servo AF. I also use the center AF point for focus. Hope this helps some.

Tim
______
Any cat owner will tell you -- no one really owns a cat...

Snydremark
my very own Lightrules moment
18,351 posts
Gallery: 44 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Jun 24, 2018 12:31 |  #8

Doc Fluty wrote in post #18650000 (external link)
Thanks for the tips guys, I got it to work using the normal shutter button to focus.

When I use BBF it flickers red and beeps but does not focus as she walks towards me.... however, changing nothing... if i press the shutter button halfway it doesn't flicker red or beep but it does focus as she walks.

So the wedding today and I guess I will just use the front button while she walks down the aisle... and BBF for everything else until I figure this out.

Once I get home I will dive more into this confusion.

Thanks again!

As an earlier poster mentioned, make sure that you have your AF-ON button set to AF/Metering Start and your shutter button set to Metering Start, in your custom settings menu. This sounds like you have AF-ON set to the One Shot <-> Servo option, instead.

- Eric S.: My Birds/Wildlife (external link) (7D MkII/5D IV, Canon 10-22 f/3.5-4.5, Canon 24-105L f/4 IS, Canon 70-200L f/2.8 IS MkII, Canon 100-400L f/4.5-5.6 IS I/II)
"The easiest way to improve your photos is to adjust the loose nut between the shutter release and the ground."

Dan ­ Marchant
5,141 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Jun 26, 2018 00:13 |  #9

Tixeon wrote in post #18650474 (external link)
I simply press the back focus button once for One Shot focus - I hold the back focus button down (IN) to get AI Servo AF. I also use the center AF point for focus. Hope this helps some.

You can do the same in AI Servo mode... which is pretty much the whole point of BBF. Hold the AF ON and focus continues to track a moving subject. Release the button and focus is locked (IE One Shot) and stays locked until you press AF ON again.

Dan Marchant
Gear Canon 5DIII + Fuji X-T2 + lenses + a plastic widget I found in the camera box.

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
12,815 posts
Gallery: 142 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Jun 26, 2018 16:57 |  #10

Doc Fluty wrote in post #18650000 (external link)

Are you sure that you have selected a focus point, and that you are keeping the selected focus point (red square) on the subject at all times?

Also, are you sure that you are holding that back button down the entire time, while she is coming toward you?

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Dan ­ Marchant
5,141 posts
Joined Oct 2011

Jun 26, 2018 23:02 |  #11

I hope the OP won't mind if this thread is used as a learning example for others who may be making a move into professional photography. Put simply, you should never use a new piece of equipment or a new workflow process for the first time on a live gig (or the night before).

I remember when I switched to BBF it took me a couple of weeks to unlearn the muscle memory for shutter button focus and train my hands to default to BBF. I walked around shooting all sorts of rubbish before shooting an actual Rugby match.

Dan Marchant

sponsored links

997 views & 2 likes for this thread
5d mark iv - ai servo problems
FORUMS Photography Talk by Genre General Photography Talk 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.