I finally pulled the trigger and bought this camera about a month ago. I absolutely love it. I got out and shot about 100 photos with it of some birds to practice on and then we headed to Yellowstone 3 days later. I got some really good stuff out there of grizzlies and lots of other stuff. I have been going through all the photos now for the last two weeks. I was sitting here editing some more photos and I noticed the photo numbers and something didn't seem right. I went back and checked out the first photo I took and it started out at 8247. Shouldn't it have started out at number 1. I installed the latest firmware before shooting any pics. I did not buy a refurbished camera. I purchased it from B&H.
I really like Canon DPP rename tool. Very simple and easy to use.
I change the file prefix every 10,000 shots. I'm not too anal about it, if it's at 9600 I'll change before 10,000.
At the same time I don't worry if it rolls over knowing DPP will let me rename fast. There are plenty of filename rename tools but a lot of them have quirks and take a bit of experimenting to get the result you want.