Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial 
Thread started 28 Jun 2018 (Thursday) 03:35
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Saturn's Rings?

spotz04
Goldmember
1,971 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Mar 2010
Post edited over 1 year ago by spotz04.

Jun 28, 2018 03:35 |  #1

Is it possible to capture the rings of Saturn w/a Canon T3i (1.6 crop) and a Sigma 150-600 Contemporary at 600mm?
I have a 1.4x tc too..

sponsored links
Roy ­ A. ­ Rust
Rest peacefully in the Celestial infinity
375 posts
Gallery: 229 photos
Best ofs: 2
Joined Dec 2015

Jun 28, 2018 05:21 |  #2

spotz04 wrote in post #18652788 (external link)
Is it possible to capture the rings of Saturn w/a Canon T3i (1.6 crop) and a Sigma 150-600 Contemporary at 600mm?
I have a 1.4x tc too..

You should be able to do it, but Saturn is TINY in an image taken with a 600mm lens. I don't know anything about a Canon T3i, but if I can do it with my Nikon, you should be able to do it with a Canon. The 1.4TC won't enlarge it much, though, but I've done it with and without a 1.4TC.

This is one I took tonight. First, showing the full frame image - just reduced to 1280 x 853 to post. The second is when I cropped it to 1280 x 852 to enlarge it, and post as cropped. To show the rings, you have to underexpose it to the point it just barely shows up in the image ... otherwise, the light will flare to fill the space between the planet and rings. I brightened both of these a little in post-processing to post.

Go for it!!!

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

spotz04
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,971 posts
Joined Mar 2010
Post edited over 1 year ago by spotz04. (3 edits in all)

Jun 29, 2018 23:18 |  #3

I gave it a shot, so exciting! Thanks for posting your settings, it really helped me zero in on a decent exposure. :-) The hardest part was focusing, because as you know, the planet is moving rather fast across the field of view at 600mm and the lens bounces each time I touch it. I eventually got it as sharp as possible. I didn't use the 1.4TC. This is right at 600mm.

HOSTED PHOTO

Davenn
991 posts
Gallery: 32 photos
Joined Jun 2013
Post edited over 1 year ago by Davenn.

Jul 04, 2018 03:19 |  #4

spotz04 wrote in post #18653874 (external link)
……... The hardest part was focusing, because as you know, the planet is moving rather fast across the field of view at 600mm and the lens bounces each time I touch it. I eventually got it as sharp as possible.

Awesome first effort !

Focus on a star first … so much better than on a blob of a planet, use live view zoom

Get a solid mount for your camera to cut out all the vibrations
Any astrophotography requires a sturdy mount ! … I really cannot stress that enough :-)

Dave

A picture is worth 1000 words ;)
Canon 5D3, 6D, 700D, a bunch of lenses and other bits, ohhh and some Pentax stuff ;)

spotz04
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
1,971 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jul 04, 2018 09:56 |  #5

Thanks! :-)

Instead of using my big ball head I had a CF gimbal on a CF tripod. With the lens fully extended out at 600mm is what I think causes the bouncing when I touch the focus ring. The other issue, the focus ring on this Sigma is quite stiff so it takes a bit of a grip w/fingers to manually rotate. I wish it were smoother & lighter to the touch to rotate for fine tuning.

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
13,408 posts
Gallery: 1737 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013
Post edited over 1 year ago by MalVeauX.

Jul 04, 2018 10:25 |  #6

If you put a zip-tie on your focuser (and leave the tag extended, this is your new lever), it becomes a fine focus mechanism and much less shake involved to focus.

Resolving Saturn's rings is based on aperture. The 150-600 F6.3 has an aperture of 95mm, plenty to resolve that there are "appendages" on the planet. Galileo's refractors were only 26~50mm apertures and he was able to visually discern them and sketch them to a degree. Half to a fourth the aperture size of the 150-600 lens. And later, Cassini was able to see the division in the rings (3,000 mile wide gap in the rings) with something close to 120~130mm aperture (around 5 inches), to be able to finally resolve such detail.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

King ­ Kenny
984 posts
Gallery: 847 photos
Joined Dec 2016

Jul 04, 2018 13:02 |  #7

Inspiring.

"I don't Know where I am but I'm having a lovely time."

Kenny

Tareq
"I am very lazy, a normal consumer"
17,839 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2006
Post edited over 1 year ago by Tareq.

Jul 17, 2018 20:25 |  #8

With telescopes it is always easier, i can fight with my Canon lenses, but the longest i have is 100-400 and 300mm f2.8, and even if i add like 1.4x and 2x it is still not enough, here are images of Saturn done by me, and i consider them not good yet or not the ones i look for, many liked them on Facebook, but i can tell why many liked them, many using lenses or small cheap telescopes and many don't have good seeing, so i am happy that in just short months i was able to do it.

IMAGE: https://s26.postimg.cc/xgkl5xixl/05_57_47_g4_ap1_conv.jpg

IMAGE: https://s26.postimg.cc/kiyvhz7sp/Saturn_27-_March-2018.jpg

IMAGE: https://s26.postimg.cc/6tkz3q1ih/22_37_46_g3_ap3.jpg

First one from a cheap scope that costed me nearly $200, and i used a focal magnifier called a Barlow for that one, the others are from a real scope hehehehe and without any magnifier or extender, but i just ordered a focal extender [hope they can process it today so it can be shipped quicker] and then give it a try later when arrived, Saturn and Mars are still good time in my sky at night, while Jupiter is like already high in the sky evening when it is starting to get dark and nearly going behind me house which is covering most of the south side, but next year i am planning to increase my level in planetary i hope.

Galleries:
http://hamrani.deviant​art.com/gallery/ (external link)
Gear List
Facebook (external link)

Celestron
Cream of the Crop
8,581 posts
Gallery: 1 photo
Joined Jun 2007

Jul 17, 2018 22:16 |  #9

Tareq wrote in post #18664969 (external link)
With telescopes it is always easier, i can fight with my Canon lenses, but the longest i have is 100-400 and 300mm f2.8, and even if i add like 1.4x and 2x it is still not enough, here are images of Saturn done by me, and i consider them not good yet or not the ones i look for, many liked them on Facebook, but i can tell why many liked them, many using lenses or small cheap telescopes and many don't have good seeing, so i am happy that in just short months i was able to do it.

QUOTED IMAGE

QUOTED IMAGE

QUOTED IMAGE

First one from a cheap scope that costed me nearly $200, and i used a focal magnifier called a Barlow for that one, the others are from a real scope hehehehe and without any magnifier or extender, but i just ordered a focal extender [hope they can process it today so it can be shipped quality] and then gibe it a try later when arrived, Saturn and Mars are still good time in my sky at night, while Jupiter is like already high in the sky evening when it is starting to get dark and nearly going behind me house which is covering most of the south side, but next year i am planning to increase my level in planetary i hope.

So what real scope did you finally buy ? Those last two images of Saturn are great !

Tareq
"I am very lazy, a normal consumer"
17,839 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Jan 2006

Jul 17, 2018 22:58 |  #10

Celestron wrote in post #18665037 (external link)
So what real scope did you finally buy ? Those last two images of Saturn are great !

It is a Maksutov, to be specific, skywatcher Skymax 180mm f15 Maksutov, which gives 2700mm focal length native, i can't call this small ST80 as a real scope because they consider it and using it mainly as a guide scope, hehehehe, and i also have another real scope which is 8" Newtonian to give 1000mm focal length, but still inside the box sleeping, bought it brand new for $200 excluding other costs such as shipping, discontinued one.

Galleries:
http://hamrani.deviant​art.com/gallery/ (external link)
Gear List
Facebook (external link)

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
13,408 posts
Gallery: 1737 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013

Aug 07, 2018 08:11 |  #11

Again, aperture is what gives resolution on a small object like that and is the reason a camera lens is always going to be limited. It's not focal length that changes this. Having a really long telescope doesn't matter, just like having a really long camera lens doesn't matter. You can increase focal length in several ways. But aperture is what dictates what you can resolve. This is what separates a telescope from a camera lens.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

balsubu
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Jun 2019

Jun 10, 2019 23:45 as a reply to  @ spotz04's post |  #12

Awesome.
Was this handheld or with a tripod mount ?

sponsored links

3,485 views & 35 likes for this thread
Saturn's Rings?
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Astronomy & Celestial 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.