Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 26 Jun 2018 (Tuesday) 14:31
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

what is topaz?

ncjohn
737 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jun 26, 2018 14:31 |  #1

Can someone please tell me exactly what the Topaz "system" is? I've seen the following: Topaz Studio is free, Studio Pro is $XX, Clarity is $XX, Detail is $XX, etc... Clarity used to be Clarity ver X, now it's Studio Clarity...
They seem to be all over the place with what they're calling things, and with what they're charging, and from looking on their website I can't see exactly what they're offering now, and how it works with what they've offered in the past.
I'd appreciate any clarity on this.

sponsored links
kirkt
Cream of the Crop
5,818 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2008
Post edited over 1 year ago by kirkt. (6 edits in all)

Jun 26, 2018 18:39 |  #2

Topaz Labs made stand-alone apps for various image processing tasks - these could also be called as plug-ins from Photoshop. These were apps like Clarity, Detail, InFocus, DeNoise, etc.

A couple of years ago or so, Topaz came out with an all-in-one image editing environment called "Topaz Studio." It is a stand-alone app that can also be called as a Photoshop plug-in. It has several "adjustments" you can apply to an image - think of these as adjustment layers in Photoshop. Some of these adjustments are called by the names that used to be apps (like clarity, detail, etc.) because they perform the same task as the former stand-alone app did.

The way that Topaz Studio is made available to users is that you can download and use the basic application for free. This gives you the environment plus basic adjustments. You can acquire more adjustments by paying for them - most of the time these adjustments are denoted as "Pro" adjustments. Most of these also have trials. Studio Pro is a group of several advanced adjustments that can be purchased a la carte or together as a single package price that gives you a discount over a la carte pricing. Further, Topaz Studio has GPU acceleration and multiprocessor enhancements that make it faster on more modern machines.

If you previously purchased the stand-alone Classic version of an adjustment that is available in its new Studio form, then you can activate that adjustment in Studio for free (at least that is what I recall doing for the Classic apps that I own).

Topaz Studio is also how Topaz rolls out new tools, like the new AI Clear, which is AI-powered noise reduction and sharpening.

Here's where you can download everything:

https://topazlabs.com/​downloads (external link)

Hope this helps.

Kirk

Kirk
---

ncjohn
THREAD ­ STARTER
737 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jun 26, 2018 20:41 as a reply to  @ kirkt's post |  #3

It does. Thanks for taking the time to explain it; I appreciate that.

kirkt
Cream of the Crop
5,818 posts
Gallery: 5 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Jun 27, 2018 08:36 as a reply to  @ ncjohn's post |  #4

You're welcome.

kirk

Kirk
---

RDKirk
Adorama says I'm "packed."
12,997 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined May 2004

Jun 28, 2018 15:48 |  #5

Being a long-time Topaz user myself, one thing I don't like about Studio is that effects can't be tucked into Photoshop actions the way they can with the old standalone plug-ins.

ncjohn
THREAD ­ STARTER
737 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jun 28, 2018 20:12 |  #6

I really wouldn't know about that, since I can't even get it to run and they haven't replied to my "help" request from two days ago. -? I bought DeNoise a couple years ago and it seemed to be a pretty snappy organization back then, but now they just seem to be kind of chaotic.

Or maybe it's just me: I can't get Studio to run even though my PC has plenty of go-power, I can't get a reply to my help request, and I can't figure out how to get on the forum to ask other people about the problem. :p

RDKirk
12,997 posts
Joined May 2004

Jun 28, 2018 20:18 |  #7

ncjohn wrote in post #18653228 (external link)
I really wouldn't know about that, since I can't even get it to run and they haven't replied to my "help" request from two days ago. -? I bought DeNoise a couple years ago and it seemed to be a pretty snappy organization back then, but now they just seem to be kind of chaotic.

Or maybe it's just me: I can't get Studio to run even though my PC has plenty of go-power, I can't get a reply to my help request, and I can't figure out how to get on the forum to ask other people about the problem. :p

Have you follow their help category "Have asked for help but no response?" You will, however, have to register as a product owner to get to the most significant information.

http://discuss.topazla​bs.com …help-but-no-response/6499 (external link)

ncjohn
THREAD ­ STARTER
737 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jun 29, 2018 00:37 |  #8

RDKirk wrote in post #18653231 (external link)
Have you follow their help category "Have asked for help but no response?" You will, however, have to register as a product owner to get to the most significant information.

http://discuss.topazla​bs.com …help-but-no-response/6499 (external link)

I have an account already because I bought DeNoise a couple years ago.
I read the link you shared; it doesn't appear to be a help category, it's the title of someone's thread. I don't see how it's relevant to me since that person's problem is different from mine.

ncjohn
THREAD ­ STARTER
737 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jun 29, 2018 00:50 |  #9

Actually, the more I try to deal with Topaz the more frustrating it gets. There are links that take you back to themselves; it asks you to log in and when you do it asks you to log in again; the auto-reply I received to my original request has a link that supposedly will take me to my request on their site, but it just takes me to a page that asks me to log in yet again.

And I see now that the auto-reply says, if you haven't heard back from us... just wait!:-P
I really just think they're in over their heads and desperately need help with their site.

RDKirk
12,997 posts
Joined May 2004

Jun 29, 2018 06:45 |  #10

ncjohn wrote in post #18653363 (external link)
Actually, the more I try to deal with Topaz the more frustrating it gets. There are links that take you back to themselves; it asks you to log in and when you do it asks you to log in again; the auto-reply I received to my original request has a link that supposedly will take me to my request on their site, but it just takes me to a page that asks me to log in yet again.

And I see now that the auto-reply says, if you haven't heard back from us... just wait!:-P
I really just think they're in over their heads and desperately need help with their site.

I agree that the forum (both as a corporate help forum and a cooperative help forum) took a nose dive some time in the past when I wasn't looking. It used to be a real forum, now it's a strange kind of thing.

ncjohn
THREAD ­ STARTER
737 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jun 29, 2018 14:15 |  #11

RDKirk wrote in post #18653465 (external link)
it's a strange kind of thing.

A perfect description. :-)

ncjohn
THREAD ­ STARTER
737 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jul 03, 2018 16:49 |  #12

Hey, I got an email reply from Topaz support. Only took a week! :p
It's the same guy that I was emailing with back in 2016 when I bought DeNoise. I wonder if he's the only support person they have. Seems to be a nice guy, but they need more than one.

ncjohn
THREAD ­ STARTER
737 posts
Joined Apr 2010
Post edited over 1 year ago by ncjohn.

Jul 04, 2018 16:17 |  #13

I thought I'd post here, since I reported that I couldn't get Studio to run, that I have it running now. It was a very tricky deal, apparently due to the fact my primary pc is a Dell Optiplex 9010MT and it has quirks concerning its HD 4000 graphics. Studio seems to be quite a program.

How I got it to work was a long process but the bottom line is that on the Optiplex 9010MT the Intel HD 4000 graphics has to be GPU #1 on a multi-GPU system (despite what Topaz advises), and it also has to be the "main" display in Windows. If anybody wants more details I'll be glad to help.

sponsored links

1,080 views & 4 likes for this thread
what is topaz?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.