Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 27 Jun 2018 (Wednesday) 14:28
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

MagMod MagBox, MagRing and MagShoe on Kickstarter

iazybandit
Goldmember
2,103 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jun 27, 2018 14:28 |  #1

The video pretty much says it all -

It's available now on Kickstarter - http://kck.st/2Kjwa5w (external link)

What are your thoughts on it?

Canon :: 5D Mark IV | EOS M5
Glass/Gear :: Canon 24-70L II | Canon 50mm f/1.8 STM | EF-M 22mm | EF-M 11-22
FULL GEAR LIST | FEEDBACK
FS: Varavon Monopod and Camtrol Prime Stabilizer | Tolifo LED Light, Luxi for All Light Meter, Ruggard Journey 34 Shoulder Bag

sponsored links
MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
12,909 posts
Gallery: 1326 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013

Jun 27, 2018 14:42 |  #2

I have some MagMod stuff.

The modifiers, frankly, are not anything special. For me, it's the MagGrip & Mag Gels that make it worth having for the sheer convenience of being able to slap on a gel onto my flash, without bands, velcro, tape, or whatever. I like that. For that purpose, I paid the rather silly price for the magnets in rubber to put on some flashes. But, the gel system is the only thing I've found useful and worth keeping around. The modifiers, well, that's another story.

I look at this system with the ring & shoe and the little softbox, and I don't see it solving a problem or filling a void. I'm put off just watching everything wobble actually in the video. They looked up the most janky finicky examples of a mounting and modifier system to show as an example of what they're fixing. They really should have showed it next to real competition. Frankly, an s-bracket takes a speedlite so quickly and securely that this is not competition. And a bowen's ring with a lock goes on just as fast as it takes for you to slap a big magnet ring on something. So again, I'm not seeing a competing product here, just something trying to cash in on the novelty of the magnets (which only work on these small modifiers).

I don't even want to guess at the price, but I would imagine it's beyond over-priced. Their other modifiers are way too expensive for what they actually do (which is little). Basic modifiers are $50~75, so I bet this system will be $150 for the ring and another $100 for the softbox, easily a $250~300 item based on their schemes I would guess... not worth it to me.

I'll stick with S-bracket Bowen's for speedlite modifier use. It's fast, secure (locks), and costs like... $20.

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

LGabrielPhoto
35 posts
Joined Oct 2017
Post edited 4 months ago by LGabrielPhoto.

Jun 28, 2018 12:33 |  #3

MalVeauX wrote in post #18652475 (external link)
I have some MagMod stuff.

The modifiers, frankly, are not anything special. For me, it's the MagGrip & Mag Gels that make it worth having for the sheer convenience of being able to slap on a gel onto my flash, without bands, velcro, tape, or whatever. I like that. For that purpose, I paid the rather silly price for the magnets in rubber to put on some flashes. But, the gel system is the only thing I've found useful and worth keeping around. The modifiers, well, that's another story.

I look at this system with the ring & shoe and the little softbox, and I don't see it solving a problem or filling a void. I'm put off just watching everything wobble actually in the video. They looked up the most janky finicky examples of a mounting and modifier system to show as an example of what they're fixing. They really should have showed it next to real competition.

Precisely that kind of cheesy infomercial style approach is what put me off right away. Reminds me of those ads showing people unable to do simple things like using scissors by completely exagerating how "hard" they are to use. Also when he says two speed lights will give almost as much power as a studio strobe..seriously??! Unless he meant to AD200s lol
They need to tone it down..keep things real and sell the product on what it delivers while killing the used salesman tactics.

simonbarker
217 posts
Joined Mar 2009

Jun 28, 2018 18:44 |  #4

LGabrielPhoto wrote in post #18652984 (external link)
Precisely that kind of cheesy infomercial style approach is what put me off right away. Reminds me of those ads showing people unable to do simple things like using scissors by completely exagerating how "hard" they are to use.

For the people it's aimed at it's probably about right, it does seem a little odd we're still using a design from the 80's (or earlier?) for speedrings and then we've got all those badly designed Chinese copies...

nixland
505 posts
Joined Apr 2009

Jun 28, 2018 20:53 |  #5

Some experts assured that the magnet on the original magmod is not harmful if placed near the camera or other electronic devices because the magnet is too weak.

But here we see lots of magnet added, in the flash bracket & in the softbox.
Still safe if put near to electronic devices? :)

iazybandit
THREAD ­ STARTER
Goldmember
2,103 posts
Joined Apr 2011

Jun 29, 2018 08:39 |  #6

nixland wrote in post #18653251 (external link)
Some experts assured that the magnet on the original magmod is not harmful if placed near the camera or other electronic devices because the magnet is too weak.

The magnets used are neodymium and they have no effects on electronics or even memory cards

Canon :: 5D Mark IV | EOS M5
Glass/Gear :: Canon 24-70L II | Canon 50mm f/1.8 STM | EF-M 22mm | EF-M 11-22
FULL GEAR LIST | FEEDBACK
FS: Varavon Monopod and Camtrol Prime Stabilizer | Tolifo LED Light, Luxi for All Light Meter, Ruggard Journey 34 Shoulder Bag

Strobo
104 posts
Joined Sep 2013

Jun 29, 2018 13:15 |  #7

nixland wrote in post #18653251 (external link)

It's not only safe, but the magnets ensure your strobes will suffer less pain and look 10 years younger. :-)

sponsored links

1,043 views & 4 likes for this thread
MagMod MagBox, MagRing and MagShoe on Kickstarter
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.