Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
Thread started 28 Jan 2008 (Monday) 06:35
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

DIY: How to mount Speedlite to softbox

barronchung
200 posts
Joined Jul 2008

Feb 16, 2011 12:03 |  #76

My take on mounting a softbox, no modifications necessary. You just need two hardware store clamps and a tripod with a quick release slot:

IMAGE NOT FOUND
IMAGE IS A REDIRECT OR MISSING!
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/png'

It's a softbox meant for a monolight, clamped it onto a tripod with some clamps from the hardware store (one clamp to hold onto the speedring, one clamp to hold the first clamp onto the tripod-- the arm of the clamp fit into the quick release slot so it didn't really move side to side), and I held my flash onto it with some rubber bands. The third clamp at the top of the softbox ring provided extra tension so the flash wouldn't fall down, but you could replace that extra clamp and the rubber bands with ball bungees (I didn't have any at the time).

Some bodies, some lenses, and that's all I'll list in case the wife sees this. ;)

Vortex99
"just got back from therapy... "
2,772 posts
Joined Feb 2007

Feb 17, 2011 22:19 |  #77

barronchung wrote in post #11855082 (external link)
My take on mounting a softbox, no modifications necessary. You just need two hardware store clamps and a tripod with a quick release slot:

IMAGE NOT FOUND
HTTP response: NOT FOUND | MIME changed to 'image/png'

It's a softbox meant for a monolight, clamped it onto a tripod with some clamps from the hardware store (one clamp to hold onto the speedring, one clamp to hold the first clamp onto the tripod-- the arm of the clamp fit into the quick release slot so it didn't really move side to side), and I held my flash onto it with some rubber bands. The third clamp at the top of the softbox ring provided extra tension so the flash wouldn't fall down, but you could replace that extra clamp and the rubber bands with ball bungees (I didn't have any at the time).

Excellent idea and great solution.

-Peter

miccar
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Jun 2018

Jun 29, 2018 21:34 as a reply to  @ post 4798699 |  #78

Hello,
Would you please explain in details how did you cut a section of neck off of the original bowens mount so clean?

Lyndön
Goldmember
2,118 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Oct 2008

Jun 29, 2018 22:11 |  #79

miccar wrote in post #18653836 (external link)
Hello,
Would you please explain in details how did you cut a section of neck off of the original bowens mount so clean?

That should be easy enough to do. You could probably use any sort of cutting tool/saw for that. Personally I’d use a Dremel rotary tool with a cut-off wheel. Looks to me like he’s added some rubber edge guard over the cut. You can get similar edging (for car doors) in the automotive section of most stores.

Alternatively, you could just unscrew the speedring and remove it completely. Most rings allow for interchangeable inserts to fit various branded strobes.

GEAR LIST

miccar
Hatchling
2 posts
Joined Jun 2018

Jun 30, 2018 12:15 as a reply to  @ Lyndön's post |  #80

Thank you for the response.
I would like to know how LOTTO did it. The cut looks amazingly clean. It is almost impossible do it with Dremel.
I want to cut the same type of bowens mount to to use this insert with Alienbees strobe.
Unfortunately I am too new to this forum and not able to send PM to ask LOTTO directly. Are you able to help me?

sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

81,025 views & 0 likes for this thread
DIY: How to mount Speedlite to softbox
FORUMS General Gear Talk Flash and Studio Lighting 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.