Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands 
Thread started 16 Mar 2018 (Friday) 02:01
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

I've switched to Sony twice. Hated it. Now I'm thinking about doing it a third time.

patrick ­ j
Goldmember
1,233 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Mar 2009

Jun 25, 2018 22:16 |  #121

If I was Canon, this video would scare me. If you don't feel like watching it, I'll give you the bottom line, he's a Canon shooter, borrowed an A7R III and now wants to switch to the Sony. If I was starting from scratch, I'd give serious consideration to the A7 III.

https://www.youtube.co​m/watch?v=osrxJAU0tec (external link)

Flickr (external link)

sponsored links
elitejp
Goldmember
1,693 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Mar 2008

Jun 25, 2018 23:01 |  #122

No need to even start from scratch to consider switching. If you have lenses that you are upgrading anyways then you could easily just buy the sony version. If your just now moving into full frame from crop then there is a good chance that many of your lenses will be upgraded anyways so sony would be a good option. And even if you still want to keep your canon glass depending on what you like to shoot it may work well enough on the sony body.
In other words if the sony bodies are offering what you want I wouldnt worry too much about the cost of switching. If you cost is an issue than switching or upgrading shouldnt be a consideration.

6D; canon 85mm 1.8, Tamron 24-70mm VC, Canon 135L Canon 70-200L is ii

david8476
56 posts
Joined Jul 2009

Jun 27, 2018 21:38 |  #123

The fun begins if Sony decides to divest its camera business.

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Jun 28, 2018 10:11 |  #124
bannedPermanent ban

david8476 wrote in post #18652668 (external link)

Doubts...they just announced the specs on their new 400 2.8 lens. Amazing weight for such a beast. I think Sony is very serious with their camera business.

Now Nikon that has watched their revenue and just as important their market share dribble down every year seems to have financial issues.

mystik610
Cream of the Crop
8,524 posts
Gallery: 31 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2012
Post edited 7 months ago by mystik610. (2 edits in all)

Jun 28, 2018 14:52 |  #125

Sony isn't divesting its camera business. Contrarily, their goal is to continue to grow this business aggressively as they have been, as its been very lucrative for them. Also...they are number one in the image sensor business, and there are synergies with the imaging products business unit (cameras) that they'd be foolish not to leverage.

https://www.sonyalphar​umors.com …alue-product-development/ (external link)

Sony released their mid-term strategy paper (sony.net/SonyInfo/IR/​library/presen/irday/)​. And Sony’s goal is to become “the top brand in the overall camera market” by 2021.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

focalpointsphoto.com (external link) - flickr (external link) - Instagram (external link)
α7ʀII - RX1ʀII - α7ʀIII
Zeiss Loxia 21 - Canon 24-70 2.8LII - Sony/Zeiss 35 f1.4 ZA - Sony 50 1.8 - Sony 85GM - Sigma 135 f1.8 ART

AZGeorge
Goldmember
2,458 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Dec 2010

Jul 01, 2018 20:07 |  #126

I don't think this would be any more fun than a similar Canon decision.

George
Democracy Dies in Darkness

RPCrowe
Cream of the Crop
8,009 posts
Joined Nov 2005

Jul 02, 2018 08:52 |  #127

Fool me once, shame on you! Fool me twice, shame on me! Fool me three timesvmad

See my images at http://rpcrowe.smugmug​.com/ (external link)

Lyndön
Goldmember
2,173 posts
Gallery: 2 photos
Joined Oct 2008

Jul 02, 2018 09:24 |  #128

jeffreybehr wrote in post #18634916 (external link)
I'm praying that the '7R3 plus smallgrip plate will feel as good in my hand (and be no or only slightly heaver) as the EM1.2 with grip; we'll see in a few weeks.

My personal opinion is that the EM1.2 grip is better, with and without the battery grip vs the A73 with/without grip. The A73 isn’t bad, but there’s not a lot of knuckle room and the EM1.2 grip just molds to my hand much better.

GEAR LIST

AlanU
Cream of the Crop
6,995 posts
Gallery: 69 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Jul 02, 2018 11:10 |  #129

Lyndön wrote in post #18654983 (external link)
My personal opinion is that the EM1.2 grip is better, with and without the battery grip vs the A73 with/without grip. The A73 isn’t bad, but there’s not a lot of knuckle room and the EM1.2 grip just molds to my hand much better.

Ergonomics plays a big role in user experience. I will have to say end results is also another massive criteria. The iso performance alone using the A7iii is what draws me to the Sony A7iii. Only negatives is the reds while shooting car events is not the best with Sony.

I still use my 5dmk4 because it simply delivers. Auto white balance shooting car events the colours just turns out spot on. My fuji system is another great colour generating system.

When low light is concerned Sony and Canon is used. I still also prefer the dof of a full frame system over my crop sensor Fuji. This is where versatility using an f/2.8 zoom with m43 does not meet my demands in shallow dof.

5Dmkiv |5Dmkiii | 24LmkII | 35mm f/2 IS | 85 mkII L | | 16-35L mkII | 24-70 f/2.8L mkii| 70-200 f/2.8 ISL mkII| 600EX-RT x2 | 580 EX II x2 | Einstein's
Fuji X-T2 w/battery booster | 16mm f/1.4 | 56 f/1.2 | 50-140 | TT685
Sony A7iii w/ Sigma MC-11 adapter | GM16-35 f/2.8 | Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 | GM70-200 f/2.8 |Sigma Art 24 f/1.4 | Godox V860iiS

samueli
Goldmember
1,011 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Feb 2009
Post edited 7 months ago by samueli. (3 edits in all)

Jul 02, 2018 12:13 |  #130

This Canon vs. Sony thing is really huge. It seems like people are jumping all ships because Sony is so far ahead.

I don't want a mirrorless camera. Not yet, anyway. My eyes are just starting to enter that reading glasses stage and looking through the diopter is so much more comfortable than a screen. Even if my near sight was perfect, I'd rather look through the lens.

I love Sony products, but I'm happy with my 5DIII. I May upgrade to the 5DIV, but there is nothing that any of the new full frame cameras from any of the major brands can give me that I can't produce with my current equipment, save for printing mega-huge, which I don't. I just recently printed a picture, which was heavily cropped, to 20x30. I can't tell it's under-pixeled for the size at all. I did for a test to see if I was missing anything using a 6 year old camera. Conclusion: I am not, neither in the personal nor professional sides of my photography.

So I guess all this hype is about GAS? I'm glad that I've matured enough in life that I can look past the hype, and know that effort and proficiency negates these mid-term tech releases. Don't get me wrong, all my pants pockets have holes burned in them; but it almost becomes emotional at times trying to figure out what brand and series to of gear to be in. It has taken a small toll over the years.

AlanU
Cream of the Crop
6,995 posts
Gallery: 69 photos
Joined Feb 2008

Jul 02, 2018 12:39 |  #131

samueli wrote in post #18655072 (external link)
This Canon vs. Sony thing is really huge. It seems like people are jumping all ships because Sony is so far ahead.

I don't want a mirrorless camera. Not yet, anyway. My eyes are just starting to enter that reading glasses stage and looking through the diopter is so much more comfortable than a screen. Even if my near sight was perfect, I'd rather look through the lens.

I love Sony products, but I'm happy with my 5DIII. I May upgrade to the 5DIV, but there is nothing that any of the new full frame cameras from any of the major brands can give me that I can't produce with my current equipment, save for printing mega-huge, which I don't. I just recently printed a picture, which was heavily cropped, to 20x30. I can't tell it's under-pixeled for the size at all. I did for a test to see if I was missing anything using a 6 year old camera. Conclusion: I am not, neither in the personal nor professional sides of my photography.

So I guess all this hype is about GAS? I'm glad that I've matured enough in life that I can look past the hype, and know that effort and proficiency negates these mid-term tech releases. Don't get me wrong, all my pants pockets have holes burned in them; but it almost becomes emotional at times trying to figure out what brand and series to of gear to be in. It has taken a small toll over the years.

Not sure if it's all about "Sony" hype. It's really just another tool to take photos with......

Honestly if I was shooting wedding for a living I'd personally use my 5dmk3 over my Sony A7iii mirrorless. You'll literally never hear a Canon photog complaining they miss shots in low light using an external flash. However you'll hear mirrored body shooters going Sony/Fuji discuss AF hunting in low light that mirrored bodies seldom ever have. 5d3 wake up time is instant while my A7iii kinda has this delay.

Pros/cons to everything.

5Dmkiv |5Dmkiii | 24LmkII | 35mm f/2 IS | 85 mkII L | | 16-35L mkII | 24-70 f/2.8L mkii| 70-200 f/2.8 ISL mkII| 600EX-RT x2 | 580 EX II x2 | Einstein's
Fuji X-T2 w/battery booster | 16mm f/1.4 | 56 f/1.2 | 50-140 | TT685
Sony A7iii w/ Sigma MC-11 adapter | GM16-35 f/2.8 | Tamron 28-75 f/2.8 | GM70-200 f/2.8 |Sigma Art 24 f/1.4 | Godox V860iiS

samueli
Goldmember
1,011 posts
Gallery: 11 photos
Joined Feb 2009
Post edited 7 months ago by samueli. (2 edits in all)

Jul 02, 2018 12:53 |  #132

AlanU wrote in post #18655099 (external link)
Not sure if it's all about "Sony" hype. It's really just another tool to take photos with......

Honestly if I was shooting wedding for a living I'd personally use my 5dmk3 over my Sony A7iii mirrorless. You'll literally never hear a Canon photog complaining they miss shots in low light using an external flash. However you'll hear mirrored body shooters going Sony/Fuji discuss AF hunting in low light that mirrored bodies seldom ever have. 5d3 wake up time is instant while my A7iii kinda has this delay.

Pros/cons to everything.

I have a hard time with GAS. I think I'm just reassuring myself that I don't need to spend the money on things that I already have that are still worthy. I just noticed the 5DS and 5DSR, and thought "OMG, I need 50MP for landscapes!". Well no, no I don't. Doubling the MP isn't going to change a thing for me or 90% of the photographers out there.

I Do understand the Sony thing though, with the superior sensor tech.

EverydayGetaway
Cream of the Crop
10,424 posts
Gallery: 7 photos
Joined Oct 2012

Jul 02, 2018 13:50 |  #133

AlanU wrote in post #18655099 (external link)

Pros/cons to everything.

Aren't you still shooting with only adapted glass? Not really a fair comparison.

Fuji X-Pro2 // Fuji X-T1 // Fuji X-100T // XF 18mm f2 // XF 35mm f1.4 // XF 60mm f2.4 // Rokinon 12mm f2 // Rokinon 21mm f1.4 // XF 18-55mm f/2.8-4 // XF 55-200mm f3.5-4.8 // Rokinon 85mm f1.4 // Zhonghi Lensturbo ii // Various adapted MF lenses
flickr (external link) // Instagram (external link)

Hogloff
Cream of the Crop
7,606 posts
Joined Apr 2003

Jul 02, 2018 18:50 |  #134
bannedPermanent ban

EverydayGetaway wrote in post #18655141 (external link)
Aren't you still shooting with only adapted glass? Not really a fair comparison.

If that is truly the case here...then it's a very biased viewpoint. Get some native glass and see how well things perform. My understanding the low light abilities ( both AF and image quality ) are simply outstanding.

It's this type of misinformation thrown around the net that becomes fact once it's repeated enough times.

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
12,792 posts
Gallery: 142 photos
Joined Dec 2008
Post edited 7 months ago by Tom Reichner. (2 edits in all)

Jul 02, 2018 19:16 |  #135

Hogloff wrote in post #18655316 (external link)
If that is truly the case here...then it's a very biased viewpoint. Get some native glass and see how well things perform.

For some of us, it is the only comparison available.

I do the majority of my shooting with a 300-800mm lens. . How can I possibly shoot Sony with native glass when they don't even make the native glass that I need?

Even if/when Sony makes the native glass that suits my needs, it will be years and years and years until it comes down in price to a level that I can afford. . I bought my Sigma 300-800mm used for $5500 ...... just when do you project that I will be able to buy a native Sony mount 300-800mm for that price? . 2035? . 2040? . I'll be too old to hike up the slopes and wade through the swamps by that time.

So some of us have to do the comparisons with the only lenses that we have available to us, which are adapted lenses. . If I need/prefer to shoot at 800mm, and have $6000 to spend on a lens, then I need to see whether a Canon camera or a Sony camera works better with that $6000 lens. . If I can't get a Sony mount 800mm lens for $6000 or less, then the Sony will have to compete against the Canon as an adapted option. . That is the only practical way to do the comparison.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

sponsored links

18,672 views & 213 likes for this thread
I've switched to Sony twice. Hated it. Now I'm thinking about doing it a third time.
FORUMS General Gear Talk Changing Camera Brands 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.