Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
Thread started 28 Jun 2018 (Thursday) 17:46
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Something is not quite right with my computer - help solicited

Scrumhalf
Cream of the Crop
6,293 posts
Gallery: 40 photos
Joined Jul 2012

Jun 28, 2018 17:46 |  #1

I have a Dell XPS 8900 desktop, stock, 1TB HDD, 16GB RAM, Nvdia GeForce GT 730 graphics card, running Win 7 Pro 64bit.

Yes, I know this isn't a high end graphics-type machine, but I need to do some animation and graphics work and it has been crawling badly.

But it seems to be perhaps something other than just being underpowered for the task. I needed to do some Skype conversations and got a webcam yesterday (Logitech C920) to connect to the computer. I can't get a clean video signal from it above 360p. Anything higher and I get this jittery video that I captured on my phone in the Youtube link below:

Do I need a better graphics card? I would have hoped that the stock card would have been able to handle at least a 760p video conversation. Or is there something else wrong with the hardware?

Thanks!

Sam
5D4 | 6D | 7D2 (2 bodies) | Reasonably good glass
Gear List

flickr (external link)
If I don't get the shots I want with the gear I have, the only optics I need to examine is the mirror on the bathroom wall. The root cause will be there.

sponsored links
davesrose
Title Fairy still hasn't visited me!
3,614 posts
Joined Apr 2007

Jun 28, 2018 20:44 |  #2

When I Google Logitech 920, I get other owners stating they can't get 720p or 1080p from the Logitech software....but they say it works in other apps. Others say they've gotten it to work after uninstalling and re-installing. I'd probably un-install, do a full check for all driver updates, then try re-installing the software.

Canon 5D mk IV
EF 135mm 2.0L, EF 70-200mm 2.8L IS II, EF 24-70 2.8L II, EF 50mm 1.4, EF 100mm 2.8L Macro, EF 16-35mm 4L IS, Sigma 150-600mm C, 580EX, 600EX-RT, MeFoto Globetrotter tripod, grips, Black Rapid RS-7, CAMS plate and strap system, Lowepro Flipside 500 AW, and a few other things...
smugmug (external link)

Scrumhalf
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,293 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Jun 28, 2018 23:16 |  #3

Thanks! I'll try that.

Sam
Gear List

flickr (external link)
If I don't get the shots I want with the gear I have, the only optics I need to examine is the mirror on the bathroom wall. The root cause will be there.

BeritOlam
Goldmember
1,675 posts
Joined Sep 2008
Post edited 7 months ago by BeritOlam. (2 edits in all)

Jul 02, 2018 21:44 |  #4

That Logitech webcam came out in 2012. If re-installing doesn't work, you might just try a new webcam. Just make sure it is backwards compatible with your Windows 7, if you plan on staying put with Win7 for the next year or so.

And, while you are at it, time to upgrade that 1 TB HDD. XPS 8900s were Gen 6 Intel chip (which is what I have in my main tower that I built in 2016), which is plenty of power for photogs...BUT that 1TB HDD is a major performance bottle neck in your system! Not sure your system comes with an M2 hard drive slot on the board, but at the very least get a 256GB+ Samsung SSD....and you'll be kicking yourself that you didn't upgrade that bad boy sooner! :lol: :lol:

Have had great success with XPS systems. Have an old XPS 7300 from 2009 (?), and it still hums along just fine for the kids.

Gear List

Blessed are the young, for they shall inherit the national debt. – Herbert Hoover

Colorblinded
Goldmember
2,644 posts
Gallery: 17 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jul 2007
Post edited 7 months ago by Colorblinded.

Jul 02, 2018 23:45 |  #5

Can't speak for the software itself but I've been using a C920 for years and it's been fine in every other app at 1080p on Windows 8 and 10. I am sure the camera itself is fine as long as your don't have a faulty sample, try it in Skype and see what happens. In fact, they still sell the same damn thing and they're still wildly popular and highly recommended on lists from last year and this year.

http://www.colorblinde​dphoto.com (external link)
http://www.thecolorbli​ndphotographer.com (external link)

Scrumhalf
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
6,293 posts
Joined Jul 2012

Jul 03, 2018 02:41 |  #6

Thanks! Switching to an SSD is definitely on my list of things to do. I might pick up a M.2 SSD tomorrow. There are some good prices around July 4.

Sam
Gear List

flickr (external link)

sponsored links

774 views & 5 likes for this thread
Something is not quite right with my computer - help solicited
FORUMS General Gear Talk Computers 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.