Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 02 Jul 2018 (Monday) 20:15
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

70-200 f/4 IS II initial impressions and question

eb314
314 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jul 02, 2018 20:15 |  #1

I just got my 70-200 f/4 IS mk ii, have only shot a little with it but it seems great. The fit and finish are great, the focus and zoom rings feel really smooth. In person the color is more light gray and it looks really nice. It comes with a hood, soft pouch, and does not come with the tripod collar. Autofocus is fast and accurate. I don't have any samples yet but everything looks as sharp as you'd expect in camera.

One question I have, a sound is noticeable with shutter half press, and then a few seconds after shutter is released. I assume this is the IS engaging and disengaging, as when I turn off IS the sound doesn't happen and auto focus is nearly silent. Is this normal? I don't hear it on my smaller lenses, but I haven't used a lens with glass this heavy before.

sponsored links
Bassat
"I am still in my underwear."
8,075 posts
Joined Oct 2015

Jul 02, 2018 21:12 |  #2

I don't have version II, but I had version I. It had IS loud enough to wake the dead, maybe even the undead. My guess is that it is OK, especially if you are listening to it in a quiet room.

fordmondeo
Goldmember
1,106 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jul 03, 2018 03:22 |  #3

The 2.8 mkii IS makes weird noises from the stabilizer. I personally don't like it.

Vaginator9000

Nick5
Goldmember
3,054 posts
Joined Mar 2007
Post edited 8 months ago by Nick5.

Jul 03, 2018 10:19 |  #4

eb314 wrote in post #18655356 (external link)
I just got my 70-200 f/4 IS mk ii, have only shot a little with it but it seems great. The fit and finish are great, the focus and zoom rings feel really smooth. In person the color is more light gray and it looks really nice. It comes with a hood, soft pouch, and does not come with the tripod collar. Autofocus is fast and accurate. I don't have any samples yet but everything looks as sharp as you'd expect in camera.

One question I have, a sound is noticeable with shutter half press, and then a few seconds after shutter is released. I assume this is the IS engaging and disengaging, as when I turn off IS the sound doesn't happen and auto focus is nearly silent. Is this normal? I don't hear it on my smaller lenses, but I haven't used a lens with glass this heavy before.

Without any scientific data to back this up, I will go with personal Human experiences on a drum kit. Certain size toms will resonate the snares on a snare drum when you play it. My 7x8 Tom when tuned properly would always cause the snares to rattle. Tuned in a certain note range or frequency. If tuned low and flat, out of tune, snares reduced, Just an awful tone from the Tom. All of the other toms not so much. There's always that one frequency, note range and frequency.
Years ago in 2009 when I bought my 70-200 f/4 L IS, my IS was "Louder" than all of the IS lenses at that time. 24-105 f/4 L IS and the 100-400 L IS. Was there something wrong with the IS. Why is it louder?
Then I went back to my drum kit. The IS has a certain frequency, note to it. The IS dropped into certain drum shells, lens barrels with different heights and widths will certainly become more or less pronounced. Thus creating more resonance. These two combinations will make it sound that the IS is actually "Louder".
Since then the "Louder" IS has never been a burden as it is not a burden when I play my kit and striking that 7x8 tom.
Like the sound of the drum and the images created with my 70-200 f/4 L IS Version1, a smile is always on my face.
Enjoy your new lens.

Canon 5D Mark III (x2), BG-E11 Grips, 7D (x2) BG-E7 Grips, Canon Lenses 16-35 f/4 L IS, 17-40 f/4 L, 24-70 f/4 L IS, 24-105 f/4 L IS, 70-200 f/2.8 L IS II, 70-200 f/4 L IS, 100-400 f/4.5-5.6 L IS, TS-E 24 f/3.5 L II, 100 f/2.8 L Macro IS, 10-22 f3.5-4.5, 17-55 f/2.8 L IS, 50 f/1.4, 85 f/1.8, Canon 1.4 Extender III, 5 Canon 600 EX-RT, 2 Canon ST-E3 Transmitters, Canon Pixma PRO-10 Printer

mwsilver
Goldmember
3,827 posts
Gallery: 44 photos
Joined Oct 2011
Post edited 8 months ago by mwsilver. (11 edits in all)

Jul 03, 2018 11:44 |  #5

Nick5 wrote in post #18655619 (external link)
Without any scientific data to back this up, I will go with personal Human experiences on a drum kit. Certain size toms will resonate the snares on a snare drum when you play it. My 7x8 Tom when tuned properly would always cause the snares to rattle. Tuned in a certain note range or frequency. If tuned low and flat, out of tune, snares reduced, Just an awful tone from the Tom. All of the other toms not so much. There's always that one frequency, note range and frequency.
Years ago in 2009 when I bought my 70-200 f/4 L IS, my IS was "Louder" than all of the IS lenses at that time. 24-105 f/4 L IS and the 100-400 L IS. Was there something wrong with the IS. Why is it louder?
Then I went back to my drum kit. The IS has a certain frequency, note to it. The IS dropped into certain drum shells, lens barrels with different heights and widths will certainly become more or less pronounced. Thus creating more resonance. These two combinations will make it sound that the IS is actually "Louder".
Since then the "Louder" IS has never been a burden as it is not a burden when I play my kit and striking that 7x8 tom.
Like the sound of the drum and the images created with my 70-200 f/4 L IS Version1, a smile is always on my face.
Enjoy your new lens.

I've been a drummer for almost 60 years and my son plays professionally. First, I suspect very few posters here will completely understand your analogy of the sympathetic vibrations of the very thin snare side head (not the snares themselves) caused by other drums being struck. Actually, all the heads will vibrate to one degree or another sympathetically, as very thin membranes under tension tend to do. It's just that in the case of a snare drum, the snare side head is vibrating against the metal snares causes the sound you hear, but even when the snares are released the head still continues to vibrate. Vibrations from a lot of sources will create the same effect, most notably low frequency tones from an instrument like a bass guitar.

I believe practically everything has a resonance frequency which will cause measurable vibrations if the amplitude is high enough. I am sure there are engineers here who can define the process much better than I can.

Second, and more to the point of this thread, the very noisy IS of the original EF 70-200 L IS USM is not the result of sympathetic vibration, it is a artifact of the design. All sound is the result of vibrations. A change in barrel size might alter the sound and perhaps even dampen the quantity a bit, but the noise itself is not caused by the barrel vibrating. I haven't heard the Mark II version so I have no idea whether it sounds the same as the original version.

Mark
Canon 7D2, 60D, T3i, T2i, Sigma 18-35 f/1.8, 30 f/1.4. Canon EF 70-200 L f/4 IS, EF 35 f/2 IS, EFs 10-18 STM, EFs 15-85, EFs 18-200, EF 50 f/1.8 STM, Tamron 18-270 PZD, B+W MRC CPL, Canon 320EX, Vanguard Alta Pro 254CT & SBH 250 head. RODE Stereo Videomic Pro, DXO PhotoLab, Elements 15

jack_dorsey
280 posts
Joined Nov 2011
Post edited 8 months ago by jack_dorsey.

Jul 09, 2018 16:53 |  #6

Hi,

I just got a 70-200 f4 is II that I like very much. I'm using it with a canon 80d and at times add a canon 1.4 x teleconverter. Focusing and image quality is great with or without the teleconverter. Soon after ordering the lens I ordered an Ishoot Lens Tripod Support Collar from Amazon for $24.99 with free shipping.

Today (after 12 days) I received the collar. It seems very sturdy and I like that it has a built in quick release plate. I've been able to configure it on my Sirui K30X ballhead, Movo GH400 Gimbal, and Manfrotto 128LP Micro Fluid Head with a clamp that works with the built in quick release plate. Without using the teleconverter I place plate in the normal position. With the teleconverter I reverse the support collar.

The Ishoot seems like a very good buy.

Jack

Jack
Canon 7D Mark II, Canon SL1, 430EX II, EFS 18-55 IS STM, EFS 55-250 IS STM, EF 50mm 1.8 STM, EF 85mm 1.8, EF 100-400mm L II, Canon 1.4 III teleconverter

eb314
THREAD ­ STARTER
314 posts
Joined Nov 2008

Jul 09, 2018 17:43 as a reply to  @ jack_dorsey's post |  #7

As an update I took some photos over the weekend and this lens is really impressive. Incredible sharpness and great colors and contrast. I'll post some in the sample archives soon.

ed ­ rader
"I am not the final word"
23,005 posts
Joined May 2005

Jul 09, 2018 21:04 |  #8

if you're listening to the noises your lens make you're not shooting hard enough :-P

http://instagram.com/e​draderphotography/ (external link)
5D4, 80d, 16-35L III, 24-70L II, 70-200L F4 IS II, 100-400L II, sigma 15mm FE, 35mm ef-s macro, tc 1.4 III, 430exII, gitzo 3542L, gitzo GM4562, markins Q10, markins Q3, kirk, really right stuff, sirui

sponsored links

1,007 views & 1 like for this thread
70-200 f/4 IS II initial impressions and question
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.