Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
Thread started 01 Jul 2018 (Sunday) 11:58
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

What photo repair tool can I use on this photo?

atikovi
27 posts
Joined May 2006

Jul 01, 2018 11:58 |  #1

I want to eliminate the darker black spots so the entire floor is one shade. Shadows are ok but not the spots. I have old versions of ArcSoft PhotoStudio and Paint plus LunaPic and FastStone. Lowering the brightness doesn't work since everything gets darker.

IMAGE: http://www.fototime.com/4DA8B518BEE2789/large.jpg

IMAGE: http://www.fototime.com/3C04A53C178752A/large.jpg

sponsored links
MCAsan
Goldmember
3,823 posts
Joined Jun 2010

Jul 01, 2018 22:04 |  #2

You need a tool like Lightroom Develop or Photoshop that will let you do luminosity masking on the lower tones.

teekay
Goldmember
3,037 posts
Joined Apr 2001

Jul 01, 2018 23:04 |  #3

A cloning tool, maybe ten minutes. I would use PSP for that but other programs have similar.

atikovi
THREAD ­ STARTER
27 posts
Joined May 2006

Jul 02, 2018 12:28 |  #4

A cloning tool copies a section of the image and would take hours to do tiny sections at time so it looks right. I just need to copy the lighter gray shade of the majority of the photo and paste it over the dark spots. Sounds like this is only something possible with high end commercial programs?

ksbal
Goldmember
2,745 posts
Gallery: 374 photos
Best ofs: 9
Joined Sep 2010

Jul 02, 2018 12:35 |  #5

A can of flat black would be cheaper and faster, JMHO.

Godox/Flashpoint r2 system, plus some canon stuff.

medd63
367 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Feb 2014

Jul 02, 2018 12:55 |  #6

Photoshop clone stamp, patch, and healing brush, along with some "content aware" fill. It will take a little time. There is no magic "push this button and your picture will be fixed" button or tool.

6D, 7D2, T4i, 16-35mm f/4L IS, 100mm Macro f/2.8L IS, 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6L IS, 50mm f/1.4 IS, EF-S 55-250, 1.4 II TC, Kenko Extension Tubes, MeFoto Globetrotter & Roadtrip Tripods, Lightroom CC, Photoshop CC

teekay
Goldmember
3,037 posts
Joined Apr 2001

Jul 02, 2018 13:07 |  #7

atikovi wrote in post #18655085 (external link)
A cloning tool copies a section of the image and would take hours to do tiny sections at time so it looks right. I just need to copy the lighter gray shade of the majority of the photo and paste it over the dark spots. Sounds like this is only something possible with high end commercial programs?

I use the cloning tool in PSP all the time and this job wouldn't take "hours".

atikovi
THREAD ­ STARTER
27 posts
Joined May 2006

Jul 02, 2018 13:22 |  #8

ksbal wrote in post #18655095 (external link)
A can of flat black would be cheaper and faster, JMHO.

You are absolutely right. I just thought if you can lighten, darker, change hue, saturation, etc. on a whole photo with a click of the mouse, you could do the same in this case, copy a shade of gray in one part of the picture to make another part the same shade.

Gart
462 posts
Gallery: 10 photos
Joined Sep 2007

Jul 02, 2018 17:13 |  #9

Post a link to the photo and let somebody give it a try.

ThreeHounds
838 posts
Gallery: 76 photos
Joined Mar 2014
Post edited over 1 year ago by ThreeHounds.

Jul 02, 2018 23:16 |  #10

I would add a layer in Photoshop or any other editing software that supports layers and blending, with the blend mode set to lighter color. Sample the lighter color and paint over the darker areas with a soft brush at 100% opacity & 3-5% flow. Keep sampling the lighter areas next to the darker areas to keep the color close.

If you want to get more perfect, you could add the highlight tones the same way over the areas just painted. Just build it up and adjust opacity of the layers so the texture of the bed liner shows through.

5D MkIII | 7D | Bronica ETRS
EF 24-105 f/4 L | EF 85mm f/1.8 USM | EF 17-40 f/4 L | EF 70-300 f/4 L | 105 f/3.5 Zenzanon | Tamron SP90 f/2.8 Di Macro VC USM
flickr (external link)

ksbal
Goldmember
2,745 posts
Gallery: 374 photos
Best ofs: 9
Joined Sep 2010
Post edited over 1 year ago by ksbal.

Jul 03, 2018 10:00 |  #11

atikovi wrote in post #18655125 (external link)
You are absolutely right. I just thought if you can lighten, darker, change hue, saturation, etc. on a whole photo with a click of the mouse, you could do the same in this case, copy a shade of gray in one part of the picture to make another part the same shade.

You are probably right, there is someone, somewhere (or maybe many) that have the exact software/editing skills to perform just the trick in 30 seconds or less.

I know that isn't me... and I'd be grabbing a paint can and plastic drape if it was my truck.. :lol:
But I'd want my truck to look better anyways. ;-)a:-P :lol: :-D

Godox/Flashpoint r2 system, plus some canon stuff.

Peano
Goldmember
1,755 posts
Joined Aug 2007

Jul 03, 2018 12:41 |  #12

atikovi wrote in post #18655125 (external link)

Wouldn't that be nice! But no such luck here. In Photoshop on a blank layer, I basically repainted all the "stripes" (shift-click method on the raised and indented surfaces) with two shades of gray. Also clipped a neutral gray layer to that in overlay mode and added noise.

This isn't complete, but it'll give you an idea. It's fairly tedious but could probably be done in an hour or a bit less by someone who knows what they're doing.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

---
Peano
RadiantPics.com (external link)

agedbriar
Goldmember
2,618 posts
Joined Jan 2007

Jul 03, 2018 13:20 |  #13

wow !

D ­ Thompson
Goldmember
3,847 posts
Joined Feb 2008

Jul 03, 2018 15:48 as a reply to  @ Peano's post |  #14

Nice job!

Dennis
Canon 5D 20D
I have not yet begun to procrastinate!

Merlin_AZ
869 posts
Joined Mar 2010

Jul 03, 2018 16:53 |  #15

That's impressive.

sponsored links

1,803 views & 10 likes for this thread
What photo repair tool can I use on this photo?
FORUMS Post Processing, Marketing & Presenting Photos RAW, Post Processing & Printing 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.