Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
Thread started 04 Jul 2018 (Wednesday) 13:34
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Conceptual Question About Circular Polarizer

Bogino
477 posts
Gallery: 29 photos
Joined Sep 2011

Jul 04, 2018 13:34 |  #1

I have a wide angle Tokina 11-16 and I have a good quality circular polarizer attached to it. Aren't the effects of the CP essentially the same as not using one but rather editing saturation, vibrance & clarity when editing the image. Trying to understand the real advantage of using a CP. Thank You.

Canon 7D Mark II; Canon 70-300mm "L"; Canon 100mm Macro; Tamron 24-70mm; Tokina 11-16mm 2.8

sponsored links
Archibald
You must be quackers!
7,307 posts
Gallery: 286 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined May 2008

Jul 04, 2018 13:42 |  #2

A polarizer attenuates reflections from non-metallic surfaces like water. Post-processing can't do that.

A polarizer also darkens skies, and that can be simulated in post.

Pentax Spotmatic F with 28/3.5, 50/1.4, 50/1.8, 135/3.5; Canon digital gear
C&C always welcome.
Picture editing OK
Donate to POTN here

MalVeauX
"Looks rough and well used"
12,918 posts
Gallery: 1355 photos
Best ofs: 4
Joined Feb 2013

Jul 04, 2018 14:12 |  #3

Polarizing filters are absolutely effective for their purpose which is to handle reflective surfaces, be it water, skin, foliage, etc. Very effective and what they do cannot be reproduced in post-processing without insane dynamic range. The effects on saturation and all that, sure, that can be mimiced in post. But the removal of reflections cannot be done in post.

Here's an example of polarizer off / on and its direct intended effect that cannot be reproduced in post:

No polarizer:

Terrible glare/reflections that clips data and makes it harder to expose properly.

IMAGE: https://farm9.staticflickr.com/8647/16334971681_f2a3187678_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/qTsZ​YM  (external link) IMG_3146 (external link) by Martin Wise (external link), on Flickr

Polarizer on:

Notice the sand, leaves, foliage, etc, and skin, it makes a huge difference.

IMAGE: https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7501/16335851822_10a2861843_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/qTxv​BC  (external link) IMG_3147 (external link) by Martin Wise (external link), on Flickr

+++++++++++

That said, CPL's can be really bad on ultrawide angle lenses and produce weird gradients and artifacts due to the wide angles.

Here's an example of that, where the gradient is obvious, due to the wide angle (this is 10mm on APS-C):

IMAGE: https://farm1.staticflickr.com/571/22174705654_6e4c51520f_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/zMva​rh  (external link) a381_procmark (external link) by Martin Wise (external link), on Flickr

Very best,

My Flickr (external link) :: My Astrobin (external link)

saea501
... spilled over a little on the panties
6,459 posts
Gallery: 42 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Jan 2010

Jul 04, 2018 14:21 |  #4

A CPL will reduce reflections from most all surfaces to a degree. It will make colors richer and skies darker.

I've found that many people that try using one don't realize that you have to orient it to the sun. Years ago the CPLs had a little mark on them that is meant to point toward the sun. My newer B&W does not have this so you need to find out witch way to point it and mark it. Simply take it outside and roll it between your fingers while looking at most anything. You'll see certain surfaces change intensity, darken or the reflections will disappear. That is when the polarizer is properly oriented.

Remember what the DorMouse said.....feed your head.
Bob
https://www.flickr.com …282@N06/with/38​203470844/ (external link)

Capn ­ Jack
Goldmember
1,871 posts
Gallery: 842 photos
Joined Mar 2010
Post edited 4 months ago by Capn Jack. (2 edits in all)

Jul 04, 2018 16:08 |  #5

A polarizer passes light that possesses a certain plane of polarization while blocking light not in that plane.

When light is reflected, it's plane of polarization tends to be parallel to the reflecting surface, so reflections can be greatly reduced with a polarizer. Aside from the uses mentioned above, it can also be used to reduce reflections from glass, such a photographing an object inside a glass case- my personal experience is that it can make a great deal of difference.

Likewise, scattered light (which is what we see in the sky) is also polarized- this polarization is proportional to cos**2(theta) where theta is the angle from the incident light. This is why a wide-angle photograph (whether from a wide-angle lens, or a stitched image) shows the banding mentioned above; we are seeing light scattered from a different angle relative to the sun. I didn't know about the mark mentioned by @saea501, but that might help with the banding. It also suggests that shooting towards, or away, from the sun with a polarizer will have minimal effects.

It is interesting (or annoying) sometimes to have polarized light (from the sky or reflected from something) impinge on something that has stress, such as a tempered car window or an airplane window while using a polarizer. You can get interesting (or annoying) patterns or colors.

These effects can't be replicated on software; polarizers are one of the few filters which can't be duplicated in software.

Alveric
Goldmember
4,516 posts
Gallery: 36 photos
Joined Jan 2011

Jul 04, 2018 17:50 |  #6

Even at 24mm I've had the dreaded uneven polarisation effect when my subject matter is not exactly at 90° with respect to the sun. I wouldn't recommend using a polariser for darkening skies on landscape images shot with a wide angle. I prefer to use ND grads for that.

'The success of the second-rate is deplorable in itself; but it is more deplorable in that it very often obscures the genuine masterpiece. If the crowd runs after the false, it must neglect the true.' —Arthur Machen
Why 'The Histogram' Sux (external link)

sponsored links

2,264 views & 2 likes for this thread
Conceptual Question About Circular Polarizer
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon Accessories 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.