Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
Thread started 14 May 2012 (Monday) 17:19
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

Looking for Canon 24-105 L IS USM owners with problems.

apersson850
Cream of the Crop
12,014 posts
Gallery: 4 photos
Joined Nov 2007

Jul 13, 2017 05:38 |  #61

Mine broke in the same way in 2016. I've had it for nearly ten years, and it's probably my most used lens. I bought the EF 24-105 mm f/4L IS II USM instead.

Anders

sponsored links
Ascenta
494 posts
Gallery: 3 photos
Joined Sep 2005

Jul 13, 2017 07:53 |  #62

apersson850 wrote in post #18400946 (external link)
I bought the EF 24-105 mm f/4L IS II USM instead.

Awesome lens! Totally underrated, especially with Mk I selling cheap and really cheap used. But it's a "kit lens", so it much be garbage :rolleyes:

tangier
54 posts
Gallery: 12 photos
Joined Oct 2005

Jul 24, 2017 04:30 |  #63

Had this problem ..only error at 105mm...sent for repair it was the iris flex..repaired and and as good as new..£84 pounds ..serviced..checked and tested and tightened lens creep....good value I thought..

spectraflash
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Oct 2017

Oct 10, 2017 21:46 |  #64

I had the exact issue with my 10 year-old Canon 24-105mm f/4.0 IS L lens. The Err01 Communication Error. I tested the lens on two separate Canon bodies and the error message was consistent. I then sent it back to Canon USA and they diagnosed the problem as a "Failed power diaphragm assembly" and estimated $344 to fix it. I paid the $344 rather than shell out $1000 for a replacement.

I have taken very good care of this lens (and all my glass) but apparently, this known flaw often occurs after 5-10 years of use. Hopefully, this won't be a trend as I own a few other L-lenses that are also about the same age.

vk2gwk
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
12,686 posts
Gallery: 254 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Mar 15, 2018 03:15 |  #65

Just to let you know that my second EF 24-105 failed today with the same error as the previous one. This one failed after 6 years. so the problem in the older model is still there. Just bought the Mark II. Hope that one is more durable.

My name is Henk. and I believe "It is all in the eye of the beholder....."
Image Editing is allowed. Please explain what you did!
5D MkIV 5DMkIII, 50D, 24-105/1:4L IS USM + 100-400/4-5.6L IS USM + 50mm 1.4 USM + Tamron 70-200mm F/2.8 VC + Sigma 150-600mm Sports + 580EXII + 430EX + YN568EXII, triggers, reflectors, umbrellas and some more bits and pieces...
Photos on: Flickr! (external link) and on my own web site. (external link)

Choderboy
I Chimp, therefore I am
5,787 posts
Gallery: 114 photos
Joined Jul 2005

Mar 15, 2018 03:55 as a reply to  @ vk2gwk's post |  #66

You would be justified in being a little grumpy if the II version has not had this problem addressed.

Dave
Image editing OK

wizzells
63 posts
Gallery: 41 photos
Joined Feb 2012

Jul 05, 2018 21:50 |  #67

Since this seems to be an ongoing issue with this lens, I'll detail the issues I had.

The symptoms were an error 01, accompanied by what seemed like inaccurate aperture - pictures were much darker than my settings would suggest they should be.
At first I thought it was a problem with the shutter on my 5D, but I tried it on multiple cameras with the same result.
I tried cleaning the lens contacts with contact cleaner - no change.
After 30-40 activations, it would act up for 4-5 activations. I could see the lens blades sticking and then releasing a few seconds later.

I sent it into Canon for repair, within 2 days they emailed me an estimate, and I paid online for the repairs and return shipping.
They replaced:
Rubber, mount - YA2-3463-000
Sheet, light shield - YB2-2548-000
Power diaphragm assy - YG2-2189-000 (this was the main culprit)

Cost to repair was $343.00 plus tax and return shipping.
Sure it was pricey, but much cheaper than new (or even used). This is my most used lens, which I bought used and in good cosmetic condition, and it has surely seen 10s of thousands of activations.
The lens creep seems to be much better than before repair, which was a pleasant surprise.

I had it back in less than 1 week, including the shipping transit time, which was impressive.

My flickr (external link)

SemkoB
Hatchling
1 post
Joined Jan 2019

Jan 20, 2019 00:31 |  #68

I had 2pc. of those Canon 24-105mm lenses, that I had to get repaired.
It seems like every Canon repair place that I have been in touch with, are well aware of this problem and know exactly what to do.
I wish Canon admitted to their production failure and acted responsibly according to finding a fair solution for this issue.
I was thinking of collecting the information from workshops around the world and confront Canon with the facts.

Choderboy
I Chimp, therefore I am
5,787 posts
Gallery: 114 photos
Joined Jul 2005

Jan 20, 2019 02:27 as a reply to  @ SemkoB's post |  #69

The issue needs to be considered on a per country basis. In Australia we get 2 years warranty. That's an 'at least' 2 years though.
Depending on the cost of the product the consumer can be protected for more than 2 years.

In the case of the 24-105 problem, it's a relatively expensive item but typically lasts many years and parts have been available for repair and the cost of the repair would easily be justified by Canon as reasonable.
So at least here, Canon has nothing to answer and confronting them would be pointless.

If the fault typically occurred after 18 months average use it would be covered under our warranty period and in countries with 12 months warranty
there could be a case made for Canon to repair after the warranty expired. I suspect average age of failing lenses is around 8 years. I had one, sold it but new owner has had no problems, it's about 12 years old.

Dave
Image editing OK

vk2gwk
THREAD ­ STARTER
Cream of the Crop
12,686 posts
Gallery: 254 photos
Joined Jun 2009

Jan 20, 2019 16:10 as a reply to  @ Choderboy's post |  #70

I complained to Canon Australia about the early failure - mentioning it was the second 24-105 failing me - and got a 50% discount on the cost of repair.

My name is Henk. and I believe "It is all in the eye of the beholder....."
Image Editing is allowed. Please explain what you did!
5D MkIV 5DMkIII, 50D, 24-105/1:4L IS USM + 100-400/4-5.6L IS USM + 50mm 1.4 USM + Tamron 70-200mm F/2.8 VC + Sigma 150-600mm Sports + 580EXII + 430EX + YN568EXII, triggers, reflectors, umbrellas and some more bits and pieces...
Photos on: Flickr! (external link) and on my own web site. (external link)

sponsored links

30,317 views & 7 likes for this thread
Looking for Canon 24-105 L IS USM owners with problems.
FORUMS Canon Cameras, Lenses & Accessories Canon EF and EF-S Lenses 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.