Approve the Cookies
This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and our Privacy Policy.
OK
Index  •   • New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
New posts  •   • RTAT  •   • 'Best of'  •   • Gallery  •   • Gear  •   • Reviews
Register to forums    Log in

FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Wildlife 
Thread started 03 Mar 2018 (Saturday) 11:12
Search threadPrev/next
sponsored links
(this ad will go away when you log in as a registered member)

European brown hare:Lepus europeas UK

pcs
I suddenly feel very old
1,496 posts
Gallery: 1238 photos
Joined Apr 2010

Jun 22, 2018 01:02 |  #46

Sounds wrote in post #18645311 (external link)
Patrick ,what is the crop,they are living in ,we don't know it,I'm curious I don't think I've seen this grown in the uk. Maybe I have but I certainly can't place it tonight.
stu

now it's growing, can't see the hares any more but maybe it's cichorei/chicory

sponsored links
Sounds
THREAD ­ STARTER
115 posts
Joined Jun 2015

Jun 24, 2018 04:30 as a reply to  @ post 18648202 |  #47

Hey Patrick,sorry I'm so slow getting to you,I'm still rushing now.Thanks on the crop note,I'll look into that but it's a great shout !!

Patrick,we are having the same problem with crops getting high ,but I'm fortunate that some spots are still low enough for me to have some fun. the late spring had an adverse effect on cover here which I feel has left the early bron leverets very vunerable to predation. anyway yesterday We staked out a cracking little spot and had a fantastic time, essentially made fantstic by one tiny little thing whom was a bit jumpy but an absolute star. I saw your link (thankyou) on eye colour ,earlier that day and glanced at it ,I'll go back and study shortly.

Ironically, my new little mate met an adult and I grabbed a couple of frames with both in . Sadly I didn't have enough DOF to get both in focus,but one can clearly see both sets of eyes. While I completely defer to the Mammal Society of the UK,the above about eyes getting lighter with age is certainly not always applicable,leastways not on my patch.;-)a It's really cool to have both sets of eyes in the same image ,as you will be able to see the colour of the eyes,without having to worry about the effects of post, I'll share shortly Patrick ,I just wanted to pop a quick reply up ,while I have a few moments.

speak soon...... again my apologies for my slow replies at this time

stu

Sounds
THREAD ­ STARTER
115 posts
Joined Jun 2015

Jun 25, 2018 11:02 as a reply to  @ Sounds's post |  #48

Patrick,this is very poor quality,please forgive,I hope you can see from this,unprocessed SOOC image what i'm talking about (i've just cropped it and converted.) The young hare's eye's are much lighter than the older.

We half suspect we are aware of a parent of this little chap,that is if my musings regarding eye colour are in anyway linked to genetics.

sorry I couldn't get back to this yesterday,so little time at the moment

stu

IMAGE: https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1820/28133569357_fbf3bed7e4_o.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/JS4U​1D  (external link) _70F0204 (external link) by Stuart Philpott (external link), on Flickr

pcs
I suddenly feel very old
1,496 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jun 25, 2018 14:41 as a reply to  @ Sounds's post |  #49

There is certainly a difference in colour, just opposite what I've read. Who know's why:-|

pcs
I suddenly feel very old
1,496 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jun 28, 2018 12:13 |  #50

These are the last hare photo's in my collection, hope I'll see some more soon.

Guess what, the crop is flowering and (at least from a distance while driving the car) it looks like poppies! Didn't expect that here but the seeds are used for example on/in bread.

HOSTED PHOTO
please log in to view hosted photos in full size.

HOSTED PHOTO

Sounds
THREAD ­ STARTER
115 posts
Joined Jun 2015

Jul 01, 2018 06:05 |  #51

Ha ha mate the little guy on the track is a lovely image. It's mad here,no time but very much aquiring images. Here is something hopefully a little bit nicer of that cute little leveret. We ha a really good weekend he's the first leveret I've made images of this year. i'll try and get some more up regarding the eye colour shortly,but for now here's a cutie..

IMAGE: https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1786/43076689932_82913e9f0b_o.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/28Cx​i9y  (external link) _70F0244Pale eyed lev sm j (external link) by Stuart Philpott (external link), on Flickr:

stu

pcs
I suddenly feel very old
1,496 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jul 01, 2018 06:49 |  #52

That certainly is cute. Here also too little time but sadly no pictures. Went yesterday morning (with wife&dog;-)a) but no hares. Crop definitive poppies, will post evidence shortly.

pcs
I suddenly feel very old
1,496 posts
Joined Apr 2010

Jul 02, 2018 04:38 |  #53

as promised, no hares but poppies;

HOSTED PHOTO

HOSTED PHOTO

Canonuser123
620 posts
Gallery: 31 photos
Joined Dec 2014

Jul 04, 2018 15:41 as a reply to  @ post 18600254 |  #54

I couldn't get a clean shot last time I tried to get a good Cottontail photo, pine tree branches were blocking and I waited at least an hour for a nice clean shot before it ran away.

IMAGE: https://farm2.staticflickr.com/1806/28331748787_c560a85057_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/KazB​Rn  (external link) Cottontail 1 (external link) by Wayne Baker (external link), on Flickr

IMAGE: https://farm1.staticflickr.com/916/43151472372_28a347806d_b.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/28K9​zmY  (external link) Cottontail 2 (external link) by Wayne Baker (external link), on Flickr

Still trying to get a good Jack Rabbit also, they are very skittish around here, even more so now that a few Hawks are hanging around.

Sounds
THREAD ­ STARTER
115 posts
Joined Jun 2015

Jul 06, 2018 04:24 |  #55

Ha I love you guys,I get a few mins pop back to see what's going on and have more pics to look at. Love the cotton tail Canonuser!! What's you name mate, please forgive if I've asked before, i'm not the sharpest tool in the box at the moment. love the second frame. All the luck with your jackrabbits. I seem to be having the opposite problem with hares being too accepting of me of late,and coming tooo close,so I can't frame ,lol I have no idea why. But keep trying sooner or later you have to get lucky !! i've caught up with a few of our rabbits of late,I must try and share more

Patrick.,yeah def poppies:-) well done,had me scratching my head that crop,thanks for putting that to bed for me

I've not seen that crop grown here it's really cool,what a lovely BKG to site a hare against, in an image

I hope you get some chances even though it's grown higher...............m​aybe stake out a tractor rut/spray line where you will have lower vegetation?? Patrick,they will favour certain lines where traveling is easier,if you can work out where they travel,pondering which food source they might be favouring and how they get to that might help put You in a good place. We will often stake out a spot,and I'll then stalk from there if the need arises. The positions I choose can be incredibly productive,if I've got my theorising right. alot of my head on coming straight at me images are made using this tactic. Hares can get fixated on a route,we had the fella with the torn ear come to us 3 times in one session he knew we were there but that was his route and he was going to use it,despite the clicky thing:lol:

Canon user.......i'm no expert bro,but we have spent alot of time these last couple of years, trying to get our heads around these wonderful animals,the above might also be of use to you ,with your jack rabbits

take care both cheers for the add in's to me little thread,lovely to see

stu

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
13,067 posts
Gallery: 142 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008
Post edited 9 months ago by Tom Reichner.

Jul 06, 2018 11:10 |  #56

Sounds wrote in post #18657224 (external link)
What's you name mate, please forgive if I've asked before, i'm not the sharpest tool in the box at the moment.

Sounds wrote in post #18645726 (external link)
Mate could I ask for your name please? Phoenixh, . . .

Sounds wrote in post #18626807 (external link)
Buddy would you tell me your first name please:-),I feel we all share the same love,so always want to talk to folks on a personal level.:-)

Hey, Stu!

You keep asking for people's names ....... here's a little hint:

Most user's names are listed right in their signature at the bottom of each post. . Just like yours!

A few user's names are clearly visible right under their linked images. . Wayne would be one example of this here in this thread of yours. . Eric is another example of this. . "by Wayne Baker, on Flickr" and "by Eric on Flickr", etc.

HOSTED PHOTO

I'm just saying, that a lot of the times when you have asked for someone's name, it's already right there in plain sight right at the bottom of their post, the same way yours is. . You just need to spend a half moment to look for it.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

Canonuser123
620 posts
Gallery: 31 photos
Joined Dec 2014

Jul 06, 2018 13:46 |  #57

Love the cotton tail Canonuser!! What's you name mate, please forgive if I've asked before

My name is Wayne

Canon user.......i'm no expert bro,but we have spent alot of time these last couple of years, trying to get our heads around these wonderful animals,the above might also be of use to you ,with your jack rabbits

take care both cheers for the add in's to me little thread,lovely to see

stu

I see the Jackrabbits in the heavy brush around here in the early morning and late evenings, they can hide really easily and if I get too close they like to run real fast. The rattlesnakes come out in the evening also so I have to be careful moving around in the brush. My niece surprised a rattlesnake once and her dog luckily jumped between her and the snake to protect her, the dog took two bites to the face. Thankfully the dog lived after getting treated at the Vet.

Sounds
THREAD ­ STARTER
115 posts
Joined Jun 2015

Jul 07, 2018 11:10 as a reply to  @ Tom Reichner's post |  #58

Hey Tom, yes I'm missing alot of things at this time buddy,thanks for the heads up. i'll try and be more aware,my apologies. I'm pushing myself too hard at the moment, Tom but no excuses just a big "thanks mate" for helping me along. . It has to be said I am a scatter brain Tom !!

Hey ho here's a fella whom really made my life very easy,ok until he was so close I couldn't frame . I then had to take time out for,the joy of just looking and being thrilled ,a fabulous encounter

IMAGE: https://farm1.staticflickr.com/922/42523236364_2620b8b682_o.jpg
IMAGE LINK: https://flic.kr/p/27MC​GFE  (external link) _70F0605the lean smj (external link) by Stuart Philpott (external link), on Flickr

Sounds
THREAD ­ STARTER
115 posts
Joined Jun 2015

Jul 07, 2018 11:21 |  #59

Canonuser123 wrote in post #18657450 (external link)
My name is Wayne

I see the Jackrabbits in the heavy brush around here in the early morning and late evenings, they can hide really easily and if I get too close they like to run real fast. The rattlesnakes come out in the evening also so I have to be careful moving around in the brush. My niece surprised a rattlesnake once and her dog luckily jumped between her and the snake to protect her, the dog took two bites to the face. Thankfully the dog lived after getting treated at the Vet.

My apologies Wayne,maybe with tom's help I might do better with names in the future. Living on a little island with only one venomous snake,I tend to forget some of the hazards you guys across the pond have to be aware of,like rattlesnakes for example. Cheers for the little tale,I'm so glad the dog made it after being bitten.

My whole approach is really based on my being insignificant,while stalking hares. Simply put that means me on the floor as low and small as possible,not something particularly safe to do where there are rattlesnakes,i'm at a loss as to how I would Tackle your situation.

Thanks again Wayne

stu

Tom ­ Reichner
"I am a little creepy"
13,067 posts
Gallery: 142 photos
Best ofs: 1
Joined Dec 2008

Jul 07, 2018 11:58 |  #60

Sounds wrote in post #18657944 (external link)
My whole approach is really based on my being insignificant, while stalking hares. Simply put that means me on the floor as low and small as possible, not something particularly safe to do where there are rattlesnakes, I'm at a loss as to how I would tackle your situation.

Hey, Stu!

I, too, get down as low as possible for most of my wildlife and bird photography. . And there are scads of rattlers here. . But it really isn't dangerous.

Rattlesnakes actually aren't very aggressive; I've found that they will endure a lot of harassment before they strike. . Of course there are exceptions, but in general they don't want to bite you; they prefer to just get away quietly without any trouble. . I lay down flat on the ground right here in rattlesnake country, without any fear of getting bitten. . If there is a rattlesnake on the ground near me, they either just slither away when I first approach the area, or, if I surprise one, it will rattle, alerting me of its presence.

We also have a lot of Bull Snakes, and they are quite aggressive compared to the rattlers. . However, they are not poisonous, so even if one gets bitten there isn't much danger if one properly disinfects the wound in a timely fashion. . I've never even been bitten by a Bull Snake, despite many encounters.

Even though a lot of seemingly dangerous animals roam around here, there really isn't much likelihood of any of them hurting you, except mosquitoes and ticks. . Yeah, it could happen, but it very rarely does. . Critters generally want to get away from people.

"Your" and "you're" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"They're", "their", and "there" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one.
"Fare" and "fair" are different words with completely different meanings - please use the correct one. The proper expression is "moot point", NOT "mute point".

sponsored links

6,786 views & 137 likes for this thread
European brown hare:Lepus europeas UK
FORUMS Photo Sharing & Visual Enjoyment Wildlife 
AAA
y 1600

Jump to forum...   •  Rules   •  Index   •  New posts   •  RTAT   •  'Best of'   •  Gallery   •  Gear   •  Reviews   •  Member list   •  Polls   •  Image rules   •  Search   •  Password reset

Not a member yet?
Register to forums
Registered members may log in to forums and access all the features: full search, image upload, follow forums, own gear list and ratings, likes, more forums, private messaging, thread follow, notifications, own gallery, all settings, view hosted photos, own reviews, see more and do more... and all is free. Don't be a stranger - register now and start posting!

COOKIES DISCLAIMER: This website uses cookies to improve your user experience. By using this site, you agree to our use of cookies and to our privacy policy.
Privacy policy and cookie usage info.